Questions about beta Versions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Questions about beta Versions - Mozilla ; Chris Ilias wrote: > On 4/4/08 1:43 AM, _Q_ spoke thusly: >> Miles wrote: >> >>> particularly since we need to consider volume. For instance, I'm >>> using windows and it's tolerable to have a few msgs Linus specific, >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Questions about beta Versions

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 4/4/08 1:43 AM, _Q_ spoke thusly:
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>
    >>> particularly since we need to consider volume. For instance, I'm
    >>> using windows and it's tolerable to have a few msgs Linus specific,
    >>> but when it comes to the multitudes of beta msgs, that's a different
    >>> story.

    >> I don't find it a problem, but if you want you could file a bug for
    >> creation of m.s.firefox-beta or somesuch, a group to hold peer support
    >> for alphas, betas, and RCs. It would probably help convince the people
    >> who'd make the call if someone would compile stats about the volume of
    >> beta posts here.

    > I'd have no problem with a mozilla.support.firefox.prerelease newsgroup.

    I tend to think it would avoid a lot of confusion, and lead to better
    support.

    Lee

  2. Re: Questions about beta Versions

    On 04-04-2008 20:37 CET, Chris Ilias composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 4/4/08 1:52 PM, _Melchert Fruitema_ spoke thusly:
    >> On 03-04-2008 20:31 CET, Chris Ilias composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> If you're looking of support, this is the place. It doesn't matter
    >>> which version of Firefox you're using, just like it doesn't matter
    >>> which OS you're using. This is not be confused with reporting or
    >>> triaging bugs, which belong elsewhere.

    >> Users who have beta versions installed are by definition testers and
    >> should go to mozilla.dev.quality to discuss matters;

    > Testers need support too. :-(

    They'll get it from IRC chats, sponsored by Mozilla, a popular approach
    for testdays etc.

    >> Some goes for release candidates of Firefox in the interest of
    >> Quality Insurance for signing off the general availability.
    >> On Alpha version I differ in opinion, developers should go to the
    >> mozilla.dev.appl.firefox.
    >>
    >> This is what Gervase Markham has to say on a response by:
    >>
    >> Jay Patel:
    >>
    >> > I think *mozilla.dev.quality* is probably the best place for this

    >> type of
    >> > work. If people are ok with that, I welcome all testers to start
    >> > discussing their experience/testing with the alphas, betas, and RC1
    >> > here.

    >> *I agree*. The quality newsgroup is for whatever the QA community
    >> wants to
    >> or needs to discuss. If volume gets so great that people are put off
    >> from reading the group, then we should analyse the traffic at that time
    >> and look for a good way to split the group into more manageable chunks.

    > Yes, that is in agreeance with what I stated.
    > "This is not be confused with reporting or triaging bugs, which belong
    > elsewhere."
    >
    > Just like what I stated in a recent thread
    >
    > "Discussion is split by content of discussion, not by community.
    > Bug triaging: mozilla.dev.quality
    > Opinions regarding code changes: mozilla.dev.apps.*
    > Support for recent changes: mozilla.support.*
    > Bug reports go in Bugzilla.
    >
    > For example, someone asked if it is possible to revert the behaviour
    > of the location bar, back to Firefox 2. That's a support question. If
    > the answer is no, and someone feels it there should be a way, that
    > person should file a bug (which is where developers will see it)."

    All right, but "Support for _recent changes_: mozilla.support.*"? Could
    you clarify what recent changes are?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Questions about beta Versions

    On 04.04.2008 21:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Leonidas Jones
    to generate the following:? :
    > Chris Ilias wrote:

    >>> I don't find it a problem, but if you want you could file a bug for
    >>> creation of m.s.firefox-beta or somesuch, a group to hold peer support
    >>> for alphas, betas, and RCs. It would probably help convince the people
    >>> who'd make the call if someone would compile stats about the volume of
    >>> beta posts here.
    >>>

    >> I'd have no problem with a mozilla.support.firefox.prerelease newsgroup.
    >>

    > I tend to think it would avoid a lot of confusion, and lead to better
    > support.
    >
    > Lee

    ..... and - if one could get the devs to look there - would speed-up the
    bug clearing process!

    reg

  4. Re: Questions about beta Versions

    On 4/4/08 3:29 PM, _Melchert Fruitema_ spoke thusly:
    > On 04-04-2008 20:37 CET, Chris Ilias composed this enchanting statement:
    >
    >> Testers need support too. :-(

    > They'll get it from IRC chats, sponsored by Mozilla, a popular approach
    > for testdays etc.

    There's also build forums on MozillaZine.
    In the linked thread, Dave Liebreich asked "Why do we need a newsgroup?
    Can't we just point folks to the forums?", to which Peter Weilbacher
    replied [1] "It's a really bad solution to point people to another
    medium. For those who have grown accustomed to newsgroups, forums feel
    really clumsy."

    [1]

    > All right, but "Support for _recent changes_: mozilla.support.*"? Could
    > you clarify what recent changes are?

    Things that are different from the latest end-user release.
    For example, a while ago, someone asked if it is possible to revert the
    behaviour of the location bar, back to Firefox 2. That's a support question.

    In the thread I provided a link to, I gave the example, "Peer support
    for recent code changes would be something like a tester not liking the
    close tab button being moved to each tab, and wonders if there's a way
    to reverse it." (That post was while Firefox 2 had just reached beta.)

    Questions about new features, like how to use the bookmarks tagging,
    what the favicon colours mean, how does tab scrolling work, how to
    create a smart bookmarks folder, where did the default browser option
    go, where did the feeds options go, etc....

    Which is advantageous when the final release comes out; because if you
    have a question about using Firefox 3 when it comes, you might find the
    answer by searching this newsgroup. :-)

    --
    Chris Ilias

  5. Re: Questions about beta Versions

    Chris Ilias has written on 4/4/2008 5:07 PM:
    > In the thread I provided a link to, I gave the example, "Peer support
    > for recent code changes would be something like a tester not liking the
    > close tab button being moved to each tab, and wonders if there's a way
    > to reverse it." (That post was while Firefox 2 had just reached beta.)
    >
    > Questions about new features, like how to use the bookmarks tagging,
    > what the favicon colours mean, how does tab scrolling work, how to
    > create a smart bookmarks folder, where did the default browser option
    > go, where did the feeds options go, etc....
    >
    > Which is advantageous when the final release comes out; because if you
    > have a question about using Firefox 3 when it comes, you might find the
    > answer by searching this newsgroup. :-)

    Yeah, right! As long as I'm not a beta tester, I'm going to ignore posts
    about beta issues.
    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    The early bird gets the worm, but the *second* mouse gets the cheese.
    --Steven Wright

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2