home page - Mozilla

This is a discussion on home page - Mozilla ; my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was always like IE 6 but not now. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13 useing windows xp home, can anyone help regards oxy...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: home page

  1. home page

    my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was
    always like IE 6 but not now.

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
    Firefox/2.0.0.13

    useing windows xp home,

    can anyone help
    regards oxy



  2. Re: home page

    On 03-04-2008 16:47 CET, oxy composed this enchanting statement:
    > my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was
    > always like IE 6 but not now.
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
    > Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >
    > useing windows xp home,
    >
    > can anyone help
    >
    >

    I do not use IE. What's different?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

    (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

  3. Re: home page

    "oxy" wrote ...
    > my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was
    > always like IE 6 but not now.
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
    > Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >
    > using windows xp home,


    Not without you telling us what is different.
    Looks the same (well Firefox with Adblock has remnant
    of an ad that IE7 with IE7pro does not). Big ad ("Find it Faster") has a different
    picture and content but that was only because a different tab in the ad was selected.

    Firefox: 2.0.0.13 and beta test (Nightly) version Minefield/3.0pre

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie, extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm


  4. Re: home page

    On 03/04/2008 15:47, oxy wrote:
    > my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was
    > always like IE 6 but not now.
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
    > Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >
    > useing windows xp home,
    >
    > can anyone help
    > regards oxy
    >

    I'm surprised it loads at all, with 156 errors!



    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)
    http://www.localcooling.com/ref/?type=link&id=26575

  5. Re: home page

    oxy wrote:
    > my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it was
    > always like IE 6 but not now.
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
    > Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >
    > useing windows xp home,
    >
    > can anyone help
    > regards oxy
    >
    >


    I don't have IE to compare, but it looks fine in both SeaMonkey and
    Firefox. There is the obvious suggestion of clearing the cache, but if
    that doesn't solve it, we need some idea of what is going wrong.

    Lee

  6. Re: home page

    wtwjgc wrote:
    > On 03/04/2008 15:47, oxy wrote:
    >> my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox,
    >> it was
    >> always like IE 6 but not now.
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13)
    >> Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >>
    >> useing windows xp home,
    >>
    >> can anyone help
    >> regards oxy

    > I'm surprised it loads at all, with 156 errors!
    >
    >
    >
    >


    validation is BS, no matter which doctype I specify it says not valid,
    surely one of them is compliant and they load fine

  7. Re: home page

    Thank you, as you may have gussed I dont have a clue, once I cleared the
    cache everything back to normal.

    sorry for being a pain but we all have to learn,

    best wishes, oxy
    "Leonidas Jones" wrote in message
    news:KMmdnUYQ7_wQnWjanZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > oxy wrote:
    >> my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox, it
    >> was
    >> always like IE 6 but not now.
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13)
    >> Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >>
    >> useing windows xp home,
    >>
    >> can anyone help
    >> regards oxy

    >
    > I don't have IE to compare, but it looks fine in both SeaMonkey and
    > Firefox. There is the obvious suggestion of clearing the cache, but if
    > that doesn't solve it, we need some idea of what is going wrong.
    >
    > Lee




  8. Re: home page

    oxy wrote:
    > Thank you, as you may have gussed I dont have a clue, once I cleared the
    > cache everything back to normal.
    >
    > sorry for being a pain but we all have to learn,
    >
    > best wishes, oxy
    > "Leonidas Jones" wrote in message
    > news:KMmdnUYQ7_wQnWjanZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> oxy wrote:

    /snip/

    I'm very glad its working for you now.

    Lee

  9. Re: home page

    SG wrote:
    > wtwjgc wrote:
    >> On 03/04/2008 15:47, oxy wrote:
    >>> my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox,
    >>> it was
    >>> always like IE 6 but not now.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13)
    >>> Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >>>
    >>> useing windows xp home,
    >>>
    >>> can anyone help
    >>> regards oxy

    >> I'm surprised it loads at all, with 156 errors!
    >>

    >
    > validation is BS, no matter which doctype I specify it says not valid,
    > surely one of them is compliant and they load fine


    Evidence that "surely one of them is compliant", please.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  10. Re: home page

    SG wrote:
    > wtwjgc wrote:
    >> On 03/04/2008 15:47, oxy wrote:
    >>> my home page http://www.virginmedia.com/ looks different on Firefox,
    >>> it was
    >>> always like IE 6 but not now.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.13)
    >>> Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13
    >>>
    >>> useing windows xp home,
    >>>
    >>> can anyone help
    >>> regards oxy

    >> I'm surprised it loads at all, with 156 errors!
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > validation is BS, no matter which doctype I specify it says not valid,
    > surely one of them is compliant and they load fine


    Loading fine or not, looking at the source code shows a lot of errors,
    e.g. several spurious occurrences of , a lot of unescaped &
    signs (which ought to be written & in the source code if you want
    them to appear as & when rendered), unpaired tags, and more.

    Install the HTML Validator extension from
    http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ then use View Source with that
    extension in place and you'll see the errors yourself. Correct them,
    then you'll have something which looks more like XHTML, and it should
    look more the same in any "decent" "modern" browser.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
    the law!

  11. Re: home page

    "Tony Mechelynck"
    > Install the HTML Validator extension from
    > http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ then use View Source with that
    > extension in place and you'll see the errors yourself. Correct them,
    > then you'll have something which looks more like XHTML, and it should
    > look more the same in any "decent" "modern" browser.


    It's the page he uses as his home page. Not a page he wrote.


  12. Re: home page

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Tony Mechelynck"
    >> Install the HTML Validator extension from
    >> http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ then use View Source with that
    >> extension in place and you'll see the errors yourself. Correct them,
    >> then you'll have something which looks more like XHTML, and it should
    >> look more the same in any "decent" "modern" browser.

    >
    > It's the page he uses as his home page. Not a page he wrote.
    >


    Ah, sorry. He was saying he could change the doctype so I thought he had
    write access. Well, anyway, if he can get into touch with the webmaster
    for the site, he should tell him that, if he used some automated tool to
    create it, he should change tools, and if he used some flesh-and-bones
    web-writer, he should put someone else into his stead, in both cases
    because the page source is horribly bad from the point of view of XHTML
    syntax.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    A novel approach is to remove all power from the system, which
    removes most system overhead so that resources can be fully devoted to
    doing nothing. Benchmarks on this technique are promising; tremendous
    amounts of nothing can be produced in this manner. Certain hardware
    limitations can limit the speed of this method, especially in the
    larger systems which require a more involved & less efficient
    power-down sequence.
    An alternate approach is to pull the main breaker for the
    building, which seems to provide even more nothing, but in truth has
    bugs in it, since it usually inhibits the systems which keep the beer
    cool.

  13. Re: home page

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Tony Mechelynck"
    >> Install the HTML Validator extension from
    >> http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ then use View Source with that
    >> extension in place and you'll see the errors yourself. Correct them,
    >> then you'll have something which looks more like XHTML, and it should
    >> look more the same in any "decent" "modern" browser.

    >
    > It's the page he uses as his home page. Not a page he wrote.
    >


    But, if so, he could change the doctype forever, and the errors will
    still be errors. If a page is invalid, its likely to be invalid for any
    doctyoe he inserts.

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread