Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock - Mozilla ; Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken. Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on them and select Adblock ...

  1. Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select Copy
    Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit return
    and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash ads
    don't have a block tab.

    I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock working.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

  2. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    > I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    > release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock working.

    If you need an alternative, try
    http://www.cyberguard.com/products/w...ssic/download/

    It works on all browsers too...
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
    Test my Firefox tweaks: http://firefox.osterud.name

  3. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    On 03.04.2008 08:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
    to generate the following:? :
    > Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    > Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    > right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    > them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    > but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select
    > Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit
    > return and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash
    > ads don't have a block tab.
    >
    > I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    > release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock
    > working.
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    read here... and try to comply with the Moz-request in the first two
    lines! I'm sure you'll get better answers there!

    reg

  4. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    >> release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock
    >> working.

    > If you need an alternative, try
    > http://www.cyberguard.com/products/w...ssic/download/
    >
    > It works on all browsers too...

    Thanks but I wasn't really looking for an alternative and I don't use
    other browsers...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

  5. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 03.04.2008 08:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew
    > DeFaria to generate the following:? :
    >> Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    >> Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    >> right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    >> them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes
    >> up but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select
    >> Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit
    >> return and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also,
    >> flash ads don't have a block tab.
    >>
    >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    >> release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock
    >> working.
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    > read here... and try to comply with the Moz-request in the first two
    > lines! I'm sure you'll get better answers there!

    OK I read there (actually read the release notes before and noted all
    the "Improved in Beta 5!" notes as I was curious as to what they
    improved) and I fail to see where I failed to comply with anything. The
    concept is simple. This is a beta, I know. We should test things. I
    know. I installed it and immediately it was apparent to me that this
    broke Adblock since FF 3 beta 4 (where it was working) and silly me I
    thought it might make sense that I report it! I'd totally understand if
    somebody simply said "We know of this problem and plan to address it".
    Now reg if you had some thing useful to add...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.

  6. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    "Andrew DeFaria"
    Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken. Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not
    working right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever.
    Adblock comes up but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select Copy Image URL and then paste that into
    Adblock's add filter box. Hit return and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash ads don't have a block tab.

    I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on
    adblock working.

    Hi Andrew,
    I also use Adblock (not Adblock Plus), but I do not subscribe to any filter set,
    I maintain my own filters, and don't see ads on digg.com that you mentioned.
    The only blocker I have that applies to that page is *ads1.*
    so I don't even see the iframe come up as a choice.

    --
    HTH,

  7. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    >> release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock working.

    > If you need an alternative, try
    > http://www.cyberguard.com/products/w...ssic/download/
    >
    > It works on all browsers too...

    I have installed TT3b5 on my computers (but not my wife's). So far, I
    have found it quite a lot less stable than b4 was. I suspect there will
    need to be at least one more beta before there is a release candidate.
    I have already submitted at least 5 crash reports (which is more than I
    have send on b4 over the whole test period). I also insist that being
    able to turn OFF those damn 'metatags' things be included before I will
    use the darn thing. HORSE PUCKY! Of course, it doesn't help that the
    things often crash the program....

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    > Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    > right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    > them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    > but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select Copy
    > Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit return
    > and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash ads
    > don't have a block tab.
    >
    > I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    > release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock working.
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    Ad blocking is probably best done by a firewall program such as Outpost,
    however that program puts hidden system files into every folder it scans
    and are somewhat difficult to remove even after re-installing the OS.

  9. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    crypto wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    >> Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    >> right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    >> them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    >> but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select
    >> Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit
    >> return and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash
    >> ads don't have a block tab.
    >>
    >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    >> release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock
    >> working.
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    > Ad blocking is probably best done by a firewall program such as Outpost,
    > however that program puts hidden system files into every folder it scans
    > and are somewhat difficult to remove even after re-installing the OS.

    Most firewall programs are difficult to remove, and since they HAVE to
    link closely with the OS, they do place a lot of files around the drive.
    However, there are only 4 files that are locked from access on my
    version of Outpost, which is vastly better than most other firewall
    programs. I use Outpost for some ad blocks, but find Adblock Plus
    essential.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  10. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    On 03.04.2008 17:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 03.04.2008 08:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew
    >> DeFaria to generate the following:? :
    >>> Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally
    >>> broken. Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not
    >>> working right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right
    >>> click on them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever.
    >>> Adblock comes up but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right
    >>> click and select Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's
    >>> add filter box. Hit return and click apply but the adimage does not
    >>> disappear. Also, flash ads don't have a block tab.
    >>>
    >>> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for
    >>> final release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on
    >>> adblock working.
    >>> --
    >>> Andrew DeFaria
    >>> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    >> read here... and try to comply with the Moz-request in the first two
    >> lines! I'm sure you'll get better answers there!

    > OK I read there (actually read the release notes before and noted all
    > the "Improved in Beta 5!" notes as I was curious as to what they
    > improved) and I fail to see where I failed to comply with anything.
    > The concept is simple. This is a beta, I know. We should test things.
    > I know. I installed it and immediately it was apparent to me that this
    > broke Adblock since FF 3 beta 4 (where it was working) and silly me I
    > thought it might make sense that I report it! I'd totally understand
    > if somebody simply said "We know of this problem and plan to address
    > it". Now reg if you had some thing useful to add...
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.

    did you read the first two lines of that quated post - obviously not, so
    here they are...

    * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org

    see where you are requested to post your reports???

    reg

  11. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    On 04.04.2008 17:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
    to generate the following:? :
    > crypto wrote:
    >> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally
    >>> broken. Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not
    >>> working right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right
    >>> click on them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever.
    >>> Adblock comes up but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right
    >>> click and select Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's
    >>> add filter box. Hit return and click apply but the adimage does not
    >>> disappear. Also, flash ads don't have a block tab.
    >>>
    >>> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for
    >>> final release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on
    >>> adblock working.

    >> Ad blocking is probably best done by a firewall program such as
    >> Outpost, however that program puts hidden system files into every
    >> folder it scans and are somewhat difficult to remove even after
    >> re-installing the OS.

    > That may be but that's not the issue here. It used to work - it broke.
    > I'd think somebody might want to know. Also, I'd like it to be fixed.
    > Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Whitewater is over when the First Lady sings.

    yes - the devs at:
    * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org

    as requested!

    reg

  12. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    on 4/4/08 1:29 PM squaredancer said the following:
    > On 04.04.2008 17:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew DeFaria
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> crypto wrote:

    >>> Ad blocking is probably best done by a firewall program such as
    >>> Outpost, however that program puts hidden system files into every
    >>> folder it scans and are somewhat difficult to remove even after
    >>> re-installing the OS.

    >> That may be but that's not the issue here. It used to work - it broke.
    >> I'd think somebody might want to know. Also, I'd like it to be fixed.
    >> Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> Whitewater is over when the First Lady sings.

    > yes - the devs at:
    > * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    > * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org
    >
    > as requested!
    >
    > reg

    Let the Adblock developer know too!

  13. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for
    > >> final release.

    It's not a candidate for release. It's just (probably) the last beta.
    RC1 should be out in the next month or so.

    > Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?

    Not me. I'd suggest uninstalling Adblock and installing Adblock Plus
    instead, once it's updated for b5.

  14. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    On 4/4/2008 4:43 PM, »Q« wrote:

    > It's not a candidate for release. It's just (probably) the last beta.
    > RC1 should be out in the next month or so.
    >
    >> Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?

    > Not me. I'd suggest uninstalling Adblock and installing Adblock Plus
    > instead, once it's updated for b5.

    The development version of Adblock plus seems to work in B5 although it
    is listed as incompatible.

    --
    Irwin

  15. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 04.04.2008 17:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew
    > DeFaria to generate the following:? :
    >> crypto wrote:

    >>> Ad blocking is probably best done by a firewall program such as
    >>> Outpost, however that program puts hidden system files into every
    >>> folder it scans and are somewhat difficult to remove even after
    >>> re-installing the OS.

    >> That may be but that's not the issue here. It used to work - it
    >> broke. I'd think somebody might want to know. Also, I'd like it to be
    >> fixed. Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?

    > yes - the devs at:
    > * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    > * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org
    >
    > as requested!

    Hmmm... well, gee.... Apparently followup it broken too! Ah but that's
    TB. Hmmm... No reply-to either. And, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm not),
    those are header fields, which I don't typically read. Listen just
    because you're being obtuse don't expect me to "get it".

    Finally, I don't "do" mozillia.dev.planning. I reported it here. You can
    either pay attention and do what you need to do or not. Not my job.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

  16. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 04.04.2008 17:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew
    >> DeFaria to generate the following:? :

    >>> That may be but that's not the issue here. It used to work - it
    >>> broke. I'd think somebody might want to know. Also, I'd like it to be
    >>> fixed. Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?

    >> yes - the devs at:
    >> * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    >> * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org
    >>
    >> as requested!

    > Hmmm... well, gee.... Apparently followup it broken too! Ah but that's
    > TB. Hmmm... No reply-to either. And, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm not),
    > those are header fields, which I don't typically read. Listen just
    > because you're being obtuse don't expect me to "get it".
    >
    > Finally, I don't "do" mozillia.dev.planning. I reported it here. You can
    > either pay attention and do what you need to do or not. Not my job.
    > --

    It's not the responsibility of anyone here to help anybody with plug-in
    issues that are best handled by the person or people who made them even
    in the context of the browser itself.

  17. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    > Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    > right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    > them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    > but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select Copy
    > Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit return
    > and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash ads
    > don't have a block tab.
    >
    > I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    > release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock working.
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    AdBlock Plus isn't officially compatible with beta 5 yet, but you can
    download the latest nightly build of ABP:
    http://adblockplus.org/devbuilds/. I tried waiting it out for a few
    days, but the web pages look so odd with all those damn ads on them that
    I couldn't. When I found this nightly build location and got back to FF
    with ABP it was so much nicer!

    Rob

  18. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Rob Bell wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >> Updated to FF 3 beta 5 today. Adblock (0.7.5.3) seems totally broken.
    >> Either that or Adblock Filterset.G Updater (0.3.1.3) is not working
    >> right. To my surprise I'm seeing ads on digg.com. So I right click on
    >> them and select Adblock Frame/Image/Link or whatever. Adblock comes up
    >> but no URL is supplied. So I go back to FF, right click and select
    >> Copy Image URL and then paste that into Adblock's add filter box. Hit
    >> return and click apply but the adimage does not disappear. Also, flash
    >> ads don't have a block tab.
    >>
    >> I'm concerned because FF 3 beta 5 is said to be a candidate for final
    >> release. I would suspect that lots of people kinda rely on adblock
    >> working.
    >> --
    >> Andrew DeFaria
    >> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

    > AdBlock Plus isn't officially compatible with beta 5 yet, but you can
    > download the latest nightly build of ABP:
    > http://adblockplus.org/devbuilds/. I tried waiting it out for a few
    > days, but the web pages look so odd with all those damn ads on them that
    > I couldn't. When I found this nightly build location and got back to FF
    > with ABP it was so much nicer!
    >
    > Rob

    Thanks for the hint - 3b5 working with ADP for me now also
    Richard

  19. Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 and Adblock

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 04.04.2008 17:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew
    >> DeFaria to generate the following:? :

    >>> That may be but that's not the issue here. It used to work - it
    >>> broke. I'd think somebody might want to know. Also, I'd like it to
    >>> be fixed. Now does anybody want to help me debug what's gone wrong?

    >> yes - the devs at:
    >> * follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
    >> * or, reply-to: dev-planning@lists.mozilla.org
    >>
    >> as requested!

    > Hmmm... well, gee.... Apparently followup it broken too! Ah but that's
    > TB. Hmmm... No reply-to either. And, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm
    > not), those are header fields, which I don't typically read. Listen
    > just because you're being obtuse don't expect me to "get it".
    >
    > Finally, I don't "do" mozillia.dev.planning. I reported it here. You
    > can either pay attention and do what you need to do or not. Not my job.

    So I restarted FF after patch Tuesday and there's an update for.. you
    guessed it - Adblock (actually Adblock Plus). Viola problem solved. No
    need to follow up to mozilla.dev.planning or nothing...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

+ Reply to Thread