FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles - Mozilla ; I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 ...

  1. FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    do the above.

    When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.

    How do I get around this problem

    Thanks in advance,

    Dan C

  2. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    "Dan C" wrote...
    >I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    > moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    > installed and put it in the appropriate place.

    I think you have to create a new profile in Firefox and then remove
    content, and replace with the content you wanted; otherwise,
    Firefox will not know about your profile. Not sure of that
    but that is what I've been doing, and haven't had problems.
    Any messing with profile content has to be done with Firefox down.

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 4/2/2008 3:13 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Dan C" wrote...
    >> I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and moved that
    >> profile to another machine with the SAME FF installed and put it in
    >> the appropriate place.

    > I think you have to create a new profile in Firefox and then remove
    > content, and replace with the content you wanted; otherwise,
    > Firefox will not know about your profile. Not sure of that
    > but that is what I've been doing, and haven't had problems.
    > Any messing with profile content has to be done with Firefox down.

    I've been doing it that way for a long time with no problems.

    --
    Irwin

  4. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 02.04.2008 22:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dan C to
    generate the following:? :
    > I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    > moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    > installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    > machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    > up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    > do the above.
    >
    > When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    > that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    > message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    > open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    > process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    > manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    > profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    > from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >
    > How do I get around this problem
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dan C

    the release message:

    SPECIFICALLY asks testers to report their findings to the dev groups...
    read the first two lines!

    If you tester-guys can't even comply with a simple request like that,
    then surely a beta project is WAY BEYOND your capabilities??

    reg

  5. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    Dan C wrote:
    > I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    > moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    > installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    > machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    > up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    > do the above.
    >
    > When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    > that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    > message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    > open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    > process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    > manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    > profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    > from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >
    > How do I get around this problem
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dan C

    Did you happen to copy the profile, on the first machine, while FF was
    running? With FF closed, check the imported profile directory, on the
    problem machine, for a file named 'parent.lock'. If present, delete it
    and try starting FF with that profile again.

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 02.04.2008 22:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dan C to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    >> moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    >> installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    >> machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    >> up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    >> do the above.
    >>
    >> When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    >> that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    >> message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    >> open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    >> process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    >> manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    >> profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    >> from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >>
    >> How do I get around this problem
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Dan C
    >>

    > the release message:
    >
    > SPECIFICALLY asks testers to report their findings to the dev groups...
    > read the first two lines!
    >
    > If you tester-guys can't even comply with a simple request like that,
    > then surely a beta project is WAY BEYOND your capabilities??
    >
    > reg

    Logically, the first thing to do before reporting a problem, is to try
    to troubleshoot it, to make sure it is a real problem.

    Here's a question for you: If your computer won't turn on, are you
    going to immediately call tech support or take it to the repair shop, or
    are you going to, at the least, check to make sure that there is power
    to the AC receptacle, and that the power cord is firmly attached to the
    receptacle and the PC?

    It has not yet been established whether it is a problem with the
    program, or the copied profile, as I suspect. The OP stated that the
    imported profile came from the same FF version on a different computer.
    I am assuming, since he did not state otherwise, that it was working,
    on that computer. That leads me to believe that the problem is, most
    likely, the process used to 'import' it, per my reply to the OP.

    All the OP is doing, is asking for some basic troubleshooting help.
    There is nothing wrong with that, at all, whether it is a release, beta,
    or RC version.

    If, in the end, it is determined to be a problem with the program
    itself, *then* it would be time to post to the dev group, but not before
    that, IMO.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 4/3/08 5:18 AM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    > the release message:
    >

    > SPECIFICALLY asks testers to report their findings to the dev groups...
    > read the first two lines!
    >
    > If you tester-guys can't even comply with a simple request like that,
    > then surely a beta project is WAY BEYOND your capabilities??

    Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies to that
    post should go, not where testers should report their problems.

    Bugzilla has always been the place for testers to report problems.

    People in need of user support, whether it be for a test build or an
    end-user release, should post in the support newsgroup.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  8. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 03-04-2008 17:05 CET, Chris Ilias composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 4/3/08 5:18 AM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    >> the release message:
    >>

    >> SPECIFICALLY asks testers to report their findings to the dev
    >> groups... read the first two lines!
    >>
    >> If you tester-guys can't even comply with a simple request like that,
    >> then surely a beta project is WAY BEYOND your capabilities??

    > Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies to
    > that post should go, not where testers should report their problems.
    >
    > Bugzilla has always been the place for testers to report problems.
    >
    > People in need of user support, whether it be for a test build or an
    > end-user release, should post in the support newsgroup.

    I beg to differ in opinion. People in need for support should post in
    the appropriate NG. Thus, FF 3 beta testers that want to discuss a
    problem prior to submitting a problem analysis report in Bugzilla,
    should post in a NG owned by QA.

    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  9. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 03.04.2008 17:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 4/3/08 5:18 AM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    >
    >> the release message:
    >>

    >> SPECIFICALLY asks testers to report their findings to the dev groups...
    >> read the first two lines!
    >>
    >> If you tester-guys can't even comply with a simple request like that,
    >> then surely a beta project is WAY BEYOND your capabilities??
    >>

    > Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies to that
    > post should go, not where testers should report their problems.
    >
    > Bugzilla has always been the place for testers to report problems.
    >
    > People in need of user support, whether it be for a test build or an
    > end-user release, should post in the support newsgroup.

    then tell your Moz-Buddies (who post those addresses) NOT to put them in
    their release-notes! The ****-up lies with you, not the group!

    reg

  10. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 4/4/08 2:22 PM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:

    >> Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies to
    >> that post should go, not where testers should report their problems.
    >>
    >> Bugzilla has always been the place for testers to report problems.
    >>
    >> People in need of user support, whether it be for a test build or an
    >> end-user release, should post in the support newsgroup.

    > then tell your Moz-Buddies (who post those addresses) NOT to put them in
    > their release-notes! The ****-up lies with you, not the group!

    It /is/ in the release notes:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/

    If you're referring to Mike's announcement post, then people shouldn't
    be using that thread to file bugs anyway.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  11. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 04.04.2008 20:48, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 4/4/08 2:22 PM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    >
    >>> Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies to
    >>> that post should go, not where testers should report their problems.
    >>>
    >>> Bugzilla has always been the place for testers to report problems.
    >>>
    >>> People in need of user support, whether it be for a test build or an
    >>> end-user release, should post in the support newsgroup.
    >>>

    >> then tell your Moz-Buddies (who post those addresses) NOT to put them in
    >> their release-notes! The ****-up lies with you, not the group!
    >>

    > It /is/ in the release notes:
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/
    >

    > If you're referring to Mike's announcement post, then people shouldn't
    > be using that thread to file bugs anyway.

    you are nuts! I said "tell that to your Moz-buddies"

    reg

  12. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On 4/4/08 4:17 PM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    > On 04.04.2008 20:48, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> On 4/4/08 2:22 PM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:

    >>> then tell your Moz-Buddies (who post those addresses) NOT to put them
    >>> in their release-notes! The ****-up lies with you, not the group!
    >>>

    >> It /is/ in the release notes:
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/
    >>

    >> If you're referring to Mike's announcement post, then people shouldn't
    >> be using that thread to file bugs anyway.
    >>

    > you are nuts! I said "tell that to your Moz-buddies"

    But Mike wasn't instructing people to use that thread to report bugs. As
    I said, "Setting a follow-up to another group tells people where replies
    to *that post* should go, not where testers should report their problems."
    --
    Chris Ilias

  13. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    On Wednesday 02 April 2008 04:53:09 pm Dan C wrote:
    > I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    > moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    > installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    > machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    > up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    > do the above.
    >
    > When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    > that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    > message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    > open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    > process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    > manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    > profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    > from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >
    > How do I get around this problem
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dan C

    Hey, Dan.
    I've noted that another helper here has suggested removing the .parent.lock
    file, however:
    I checked my default profile folder, and found that file in there. *shrug* I
    fired up FF3B4, and a new file, named lock, appeared. Delete that file, and
    all should be well for you.

    Best of luck!

    --
    Clarjon1

    Proud Linux User.
    PCLinuxOS on Dell Inspiron 1501,1 Gig ram,80 Gig Hard drive
    1.7gHz AMD Athlon 64bit dualcore processor
    Contact:
    Gmail/gtalk: clarjon1
    irc: #pclinuxos,#pclinuxos-support,##linux on freenode
    All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after
    the battle is over and shoot the wounded.

  14. Re: FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

    Jonathan Clark wrote:
    > On Wednesday 02 April 2008 04:53:09 pm Dan C wrote:
    >> I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    >> moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    >> installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    >> machine has an old profile from FF 2.0 which FF 3 picked
    >> up and used when I installed FF3, but which I disabled to
    >> do the above.
    >>
    >> When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    >> that "imported"profile and I got the following error
    >> message: "FF is already running, but not responding. To
    >> open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
    >> process, or restart your system." Checking the task
    >> manager does not show FF to be running. By removing the
    >> profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up
    >> from FF 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >>

    > I've noted that another helper here has suggested removing the .parent.lock
    > file, however:
    > I checked my default profile folder, and found that file in there. *shrug* I
    > fired up FF3B4, and a new file, named lock, appeared. Delete that file, and
    > all should be well for you.

    What is referred to as the lock file will have a different name,
    depending on the OS:

    Windows: 'parent.lock'
    MacOS: '.parentlock'
    Linux: 'lock' and '.parentlock'
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in...file_lock_file

    It will be present whenever FF is running, and, under normal
    circumstances, should be automatically removed, when you close FF. The
    purpose is to prevent two instances of FF from using the same profile,
    probably due to the potential for causing conflicts/collisions with the
    data files.

    There are, basically, two scenarios in which the lock file may present a
    problem with a profile.

    If FF crashes, or the process is killed forcefully, rather than closing
    gracefully, then the lock file can remain in the profile, as the
    deletion of it is part of the normal closing process. That process is,
    obviously, bypassed in a crash or forced quit situation, thereby leaving
    the lock file behind.

    The other possibility, and the one I raised in my response to Dan, is if
    the in-use profile is copied while FF is running. That will, obviously,
    copy the existing lock file. If that copied profile is then 'imported'
    into another FF installation, then you will get the error message when
    trying to use that profile, but not a different profile, as he described.

    Now, you say that you saw the 'parent.lock' file in your profile. I see
    from your sig, that you are using Linux. I'm assuming that you imported
    that profile from Windows, at some point?

    What I'm not sure about, although you may have confirmed my suspicion,
    is how FF on Linux will respond to a Windows lock file. FF apparently
    started up with no problem for you. Did you delete 'parent.lock' first,
    or did FF appear to ignore it, as I suspect?

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread