file association problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on file association problems - Mozilla ; I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications, and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid files are associated ...

  1. file association problems

    I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications, and
    got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now "opened"
    by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid files are
    associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after they "open"
    nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any advice gratefully
    appreciated.
    --

    Regards,

    P D Sterling
    New York, Texas & Texas, New York

  2. Re: file association problems

    On 24-03-2008 13:13 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    > I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications,
    > and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now
    > "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid
    > files are associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after
    > they "open" nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any advice
    > gratefully appreciated.

    It is stealing the settings of the competing application or pretending
    that you are the only one in the field. Apple QuickTime used to do that
    on my Mac, but so does Windows on our home PC... ;-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: file association problems

    On 24.03.2008 13:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused P D Sterling
    to generate the following:? :
    > I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications, and
    > got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now "opened"
    > by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid files are
    > associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after they "open"
    > nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any advice gratefully
    > appreciated.

    did you recently update WMP (eg - windose auto update) ??

    IIRC WMP10 is a bit of a sod!

    reg

  4. Re: file association problems

    On 24-03-2008 14:36 CET, Melchert Fruitema composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > On 24-03-2008 13:13 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications,
    >> and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now
    >> "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid
    >> files are associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after
    >> they "open" nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any
    >> advice gratefully appreciated.

    > It is stealing the settings of the competing application or pretending
    > that you are the only one in the field. Apple QuickTime used to do
    > that on my Mac, but so does Windows on our home PC... ;-)

    :-O please read "you are the only one" as "it is the only one". :-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: file association problems

    On 24-03-2008 21:00 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 24.03.2008 20:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Melchert
    > Fruitema to generate the following:? :
    >> On 24-03-2008 14:36 CET, Melchert Fruitema composed this enchanting
    >> statement:
    >>> On 24-03-2008 13:13 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting
    >>> statement:
    >>>>
    >>> It is stealing the settings of the competing application or
    >>> pretending that you are the only one in the field. Apple QuickTime
    >>> used to do that on my Mac, but so does Windows on our home PC... ;-)
    >>>

    >> :-O please read "you are the only one" as "it is the only one". :-)
    >>

    > oh, Melchert.... and there was I, getting all confused but VERY happy
    > :-[
    >
    > reg

    I'm so sorry to spoil your short state of enlightening.

    Btw. Your reply did insert a blank line for each part of this thread as
    usual, which I duly removed in here. You must be on Tb 1.5 old
    something.... :-P Hanging on. are you?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  6. Re: file association problems

    I read the proper implication - I do the same possible error of speech,
    but I usually vilify Uncle Bill Gates directly. Thanx for the post!

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 24-03-2008 14:36 CET, Melchert Fruitema composed this enchanting
    > statement:
    >> On 24-03-2008 13:13 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications,
    >>> and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now
    >>> "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid
    >>> files are associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after
    >>> they "open" nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any
    >>> advice gratefully appreciated.

    >> It is stealing the settings of the competing application or pretending
    >> that you are the only one in the field. Apple QuickTime used to do
    >> that on my Mac, but so does Windows on our home PC... ;-)
    >>

    > :-O please read "you are the only one" as "it is the only one". :-)

  7. Re: file association problems

    you know, the direct answer to your question is, "I don't know!" there
    are so cotton-picking many updates for this, that, and the other thing,
    that I have no idea where I am half the time. as a global rant, however,
    I soundly resent having to have .flv player, real player, quick player,
    windows player (have I missed any?). thank the Lord I am getting a new
    hard drive tomorrow, to have the space for all this useless software!

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 24.03.2008 13:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused P D Sterling
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications,
    >> and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now
    >> "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid
    >> files are associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after
    >> they "open" nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any advice
    >> gratefully appreciated.
    >>

    > did you recently update WMP (eg - windose auto update) ??
    >
    > IIRC WMP10 is a bit of a sod!
    >
    > reg

  8. Re: file association problems

    On 3/25/2008 6:11 PM, P D Sterling wrote:
    > you know, the direct answer to your question is, "I don't know!" there
    > are so cotton-picking many updates for this, that, and the other thing,
    > that I have no idea where I am half the time. as a global rant, however,
    > I soundly resent having to have .flv player, real player, quick player,
    > windows player (have I missed any?). thank the Lord I am getting a new
    > hard drive tomorrow, to have the space for all this useless software!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > P D Sterling
    > New York, Texas & Texas, New York
    >

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 24.03.2008 13:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused P D Sterling
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>> I posted yesterday in TB about a problem with changed applications,
    >>> and got an answer to that. Today the problem is: midi files are now
    >>> "opened" by QuikPlay or whatever the hell it is, even though .mid
    >>> files are associated with Windows Media Player. Oh, by the way, after
    >>> they "open" nothing happens. what did I do to deserve this? any
    >>> advice gratefully appreciated.
    >>>

    >> did you recently update WMP (eg - windose auto update) ??
    >>
    >> IIRC WMP10 is a bit of a sod!
    >>
    >> reg

    P D:

    You've been posting here long enough to realize that bottom posting is
    preferred on this server! PLEASE try to conform.

    --
    Irwin

  9. Re: file association problems

    On 26-03-2008 02:08 CET, P D Sterling composed this enchanting statement:
    > I read the proper implication - I do the same possible error of
    > speech, but I usually vilify Uncle Bill Gates directly. Thanx for the
    > post!

    You're welcome.

    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 24-03-2008 14:36 CET, Melchert Fruitema composed this enchanting
    >> statement:
    >>>
    >>> It is stealing the settings of the competing application or
    >>> pretending that you are the only one in the field. Apple QuickTime
    >>> used to do that on my Mac, but so does Windows on our home PC... ;-)
    >>>

    >> :-O please read "you are the only one" as "it is the only one". :-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  10. Re: file association problems

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 3/25/2008 6:11 PM, P D Sterling wrote:
    >> you know, the direct answer to your question is, "I don't know!" there
    >> are so cotton-picking many updates for this, that, and the other
    >> thing, that I have no idea where I am half the time. as a global rant,
    >> however, I soundly resent having to have .flv player, real player,
    >> quick player, windows player (have I missed any?). thank the Lord I am
    >> getting a new hard drive tomorrow, to have the space for all this
    >> useless software!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> P D Sterling
    >> New York, Texas & Texas, New York
    >>

    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> On 24.03.2008 13:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused P D
    >>> Sterling to generate the following:? :
    >>>>

    >>> did you recently update WMP (eg - windose auto update) ??
    >>>
    >>> IIRC WMP10 is a bit of a sod!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    > P D:
    >
    > You've been posting here long enough to realize that bottom posting is
    > preferred on this server! PLEASE try to conform.

    okay, I figured it out. 30 lashes with a wet noodle. problem is, in
    e-mail I prefer the opposite way, but need to conform. thanks for all
    your advice.
    --
    Regards,

    P D Sterling
    New York, Texas & Texas, New York

  11. Re: file association problems

    On 3/26/2008 P D Sterling said
    > okay, I figured it out. 30 lashes with a wet noodle. problem is, in
    > e-mail I prefer the opposite way, but need to conform. thanks for all
    > your advice.

    The setting is account dependent, so your mail and newsgroup settings
    can be different, as mine are:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>[account]>>Composition & Addressing

    --
    Irwin

  12. Re: file association problems

    P D Sterling wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> You've been posting here long enough to realize that bottom posting is
    >> preferred on this server! PLEASE try to conform.
    >>

    > okay, I figured it out. 30 lashes with a wet noodle. problem is, in
    > e-mail I prefer the opposite way, but need to conform. thanks for all
    > your advice.

    fortunately in TB... each account can be set to reply differently...

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why?

    * TagZilla 0.066-bw2