AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla ; Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2. Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.

    Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.

    On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).

    I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    updates).

    I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    8.0.

    Thanks...Pete

  2. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/22/2008 7:11 PM, Pete wrote:
    > Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    > who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >
    > Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    > displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    > when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    > you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    > some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >
    > On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    > Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >
    > I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    > and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    > of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    > reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    > because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    > updates).
    >
    > I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    > on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    > their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    > my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    > 8.0.
    >

    > Thanks...Pete

    It doesn't do that when I check for updates. I don't have the AVG
    Security Toolbar installed. If you have it installed you could try
    disabling or uninstalling it and see whether that helos.
    Dave Pyles

  3. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 3/22/2008 7:11 PM, Pete wrote:
    >> Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox
    >> users who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser
    >> and displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This
    >> happens when I click check for updates. I think it only
    >> happens once per day (if you recheck for updates several times), but
    >> I am not sure about that. I did some searching in google and failed
    >> to come up with an answer. On googling I found that it does not happen to
    >> all people (don't
    >> know why). Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I
    >> use firefox). I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure
    >> that
    >> uninstalling and reinstalling will help either since someone said
    >> the pop up was in one of the updates and therefore I would think it
    >> would be embedded in the reinstall version also (and installing an
    >> older version wouldn't help because it would just be updated with
    >> the pop up ad when you ran all the updates).
    >>
    >> I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance,
    >> and shame on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put
    >> the ad in one of their own control panels I could understand, but
    >> they should not be causing my browser to open up automatically and
    >> load the pop up ad to buy version 8.0.
    >>

    >> Thanks...Pete
    >>

    > It doesn't do that when I check for updates. I don't have the AVG
    > Security Toolbar installed. If you have it installed you could try
    > disabling or uninstalling it and see whether that helos.
    > Dave Pyles

    Dave...I didn't even know what the AVG Security Toolbar was until I just
    googled it and it said it only applied to the AVG commercial (ie pay)
    versions. I am using the AVG "free" version 7.5. Did you understand that.
    If you don't have the toolbar installed, and have it on your version of AVG
    then you must have one of the commercial versions of AVG which you have
    purchased, and that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a
    pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to get me to purchase AVG 8.0,
    because it is recognizing that I am using the free version 7.5.

    Pete

  4. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/22/2008 7:54 PM, Pete wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    >> On 3/22/2008 7:11 PM, Pete wrote:
    >>> Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox
    >>> users who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser
    >>> and displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This
    >>> happens when I click check for updates. I think it only
    >>> happens once per day (if you recheck for updates several times), but
    >>> I am not sure about that. I did some searching in google and failed
    >>> to come up with an answer. On googling I found that it does not happen to
    >>> all people (don't
    >>> know why). Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I
    >>> use firefox). I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure
    >>> that
    >>> uninstalling and reinstalling will help either since someone said
    >>> the pop up was in one of the updates and therefore I would think it
    >>> would be embedded in the reinstall version also (and installing an
    >>> older version wouldn't help because it would just be updated with
    >>> the pop up ad when you ran all the updates).
    >>>
    >>> I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance,
    >>> and shame on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put
    >>> the ad in one of their own control panels I could understand, but
    >>> they should not be causing my browser to open up automatically and
    >>> load the pop up ad to buy version 8.0.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks...Pete
    >>>

    >> It doesn't do that when I check for updates. I don't have the AVG
    >> Security Toolbar installed. If you have it installed you could try
    >> disabling or uninstalling it and see whether that helos.
    >> Dave Pyles

    > Dave...I didn't even know what the AVG Security Toolbar was until I just
    > googled it and it said it only applied to the AVG commercial (ie pay)
    > versions. I am using the AVG "free" version 7.5. Did you understand that.
    > If you don't have the toolbar installed, and have it on your version of AVG
    > then you must have one of the commercial versions of AVG which you have
    > purchased, and that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a
    > pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to get me to purchase AVG 8.0,
    > because it is recognizing that I am using the free version 7.5.
    >
    > Pete

    Hi Pete,

    I may be confused. I just recently dumped Norton and installed AVG
    Free and the free version of ZoneAlarm. I installed them both the same
    day. It might have been ZoneAlarm that installed the toolbar that I
    dumped. Either way, I don't get the ad when I tell Firefox to check for
    updates.

    Dave

  5. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "Pete"
    > I am talking about a
    > pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to get me to purchase AVG 8.0,
    > because it is recognizing that I am using the free version 7.5.

    I don't get such a message, do you know exactly what url you got AVG
    from, and more important what is the url that comes up in your browser
    when you are asked to update. Anything from Grisoft, I thnk would all
    begin with http://www.grisoft.com/ and anything else, I'd be suspicious of.

  6. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    > "Pete"
    >> I am talking about a pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to get
    >> me to purchase AVG 8.0, because it is recognizing that I am using the
    >> free version 7.5.

    > I don't get such a message, do you know exactly what url you got AVG
    > from, and more important what is the url that comes up in your browser
    > when you are asked to update. Anything from Grisoft, I thnk would all
    > begin with http://www.grisoft.com/ and anything else, I'd be
    > suspicious of.

    The correct URL is http://free.grisoft.com/

  7. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/22/2008 8:16 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Pete"
    >> I am talking about a pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to
    >> get me to purchase AVG 8.0, because it is recognizing that I am using
    >> the free version 7.5.

    > I don't get such a message, do you know exactly what url you got AVG
    > from, and more important what is the url that comes up in your browser
    > when you are asked to update. Anything from Grisoft, I thnk would all
    > begin with http://www.grisoft.com/ and anything else, I'd be
    > suspicious of.

    Grisoft is stepping up their tactics to convert its free users to paying
    customers. This hijacking of the browser is more of an annoyance than
    incentive to upgrade. My FF opened up automatically to an ad page
    immediately after a manual update this afternoon while the Test Center
    screen was still open. The URL was at:

    http://campaign.grisoft.com/01-free78cnv/us/index.html

    This occurred just that once, and no other browser hijacking observed
    when 'Check for Updates' manually since then.

  8. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    on 3/22/08 8:44 PM NA said the following:
    > On 3/22/2008 8:16 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "Pete"
    >>> I am talking about a pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to
    >>> get me to purchase AVG 8.0, because it is recognizing that I am using
    >>> the free version 7.5.

    >> I don't get such a message, do you know exactly what url you got AVG
    >> from, and more important what is the url that comes up in your browser
    >> when you are asked to update. Anything from Grisoft, I thnk would all
    >> begin with http://www.grisoft.com/ and anything else, I'd be
    >> suspicious of.
    >>

    > Grisoft is stepping up their tactics to convert its free users to paying
    > customers. This hijacking of the browser is more of an annoyance than
    > incentive to upgrade. My FF opened up automatically to an ad page
    > immediately after a manual update this afternoon while the Test Center
    > screen was still open. The URL was at:
    >
    > http://campaign.grisoft.com/01-free78cnv/us/index.html
    >
    > This occurred just that once, and no other browser hijacking observed
    > when 'Check for Updates' manually since then.

    If you are going to buy an AV Program, consider F-Prot. You can get the
    10 license corp for $50 and use it at home too.

  9. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Pete wrote:
    > Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    > who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >
    > Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    > displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    > when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    > you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    > some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >
    > On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    > Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >
    > I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    > and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    > of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    > reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    > because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    > updates).
    >
    > I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    > on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    > their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    > my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    > 8.0.
    >

    > Thanks...Pete

    The last update to AVG I installed was on 3/21/08. I just checked for
    updates and Firefox suddenly opened and there was the page you
    mentioned. That is going to be annoying as hell. Probably time to look
    for another virus checker.

  10. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/23/2008 7:56 AM eastern, Jim wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    >> who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    >> displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    >> when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    >> you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    >> some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >>
    >> On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    >> Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >>
    >> I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    >> and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    >> of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    >> reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    >> because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    >> updates).
    >>
    >> I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    >> on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    >> their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    >> my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    >> 8.0.
    >>

    >> Thanks...Pete
    >>

    > The last update to AVG I installed was on 3/21/08. I just checked for
    > updates and Firefox suddenly opened and there was the page you
    > mentioned. That is going to be annoying as hell. Probably time to look
    > for another virus checker.

    I just manually installed the 3/22 update with no ad, then manually
    rechecked for updates with no ad. (I am registered and have daily
    updates scheduled mid-day.)

    However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    CTinFL

  11. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 3/23/2008 7:56 AM eastern, Jim wrote:
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    >>> who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    >>> displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    >>> when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    >>> you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    >>> some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >>>
    >>> On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    >>> Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >>>
    >>> I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    >>> and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    >>> of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    >>> reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    >>> because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    >>> updates).
    >>>
    >>> I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    >>> on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    >>> their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    >>> my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    >>> 8.0.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks...Pete
    >>>

    >> The last update to AVG I installed was on 3/21/08. I just checked for
    >> updates and Firefox suddenly opened and there was the page you
    >> mentioned. That is going to be annoying as hell. Probably time to look
    >> for another virus checker.

    > I just manually installed the 3/22 update with no ad, then manually
    > rechecked for updates with no ad. (I am registered and have daily
    > updates scheduled mid-day.)
    >
    > However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    > useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    > CTinFL

    I'm NOT complaining about the occasional advertisement. If you've
    noticed, the Control Center and the Test Center both have dedicated
    spaces on the pages for advertisements for AVG Version 8. That's fine.
    But don't start running another program that is not related to AVG.

  12. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    The AVG Free auto update done seven hours ago opened a tab with the
    ad. I closed the tab and went on. No problem if it doesn't happen
    again.
    --
    "Trim your follow-ups."

  13. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "NA" wrote in message news:47E5B5FE.9080000@na.org...
    > On 3/22/2008 8:16 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "Pete"
    >>> I am talking about a pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to
    >>> get me to purchase AVG 8.0, because it is recognizing that I am using
    >>> the free version 7.5.
    >>> This happens when I click check for updates. I think it only happens
    >>> once per day (if you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that.

    > My FF opened up automatically to an ad page
    > immediately after a manual update this afternoon while the Test Center
    > screen was still open. The URL was at:
    > http://campaign.grisoft.com/01-free78cnv/us/index.html
    > This occurred just that once, and no other browser hijacking observed
    > when 'Check for Updates' manually since then.

    Since Pete did include in his original post that it probably happens once
    per day, probably has to do with cookies. I update automatically, and
    seldom reboot.
    If is is a continued annoyance he could include in his hosts file, which
    I mainly use for things that are a very big annoyance or look dangerous.
    127.0.0.1 campaign.grisoft.com
    and that would not affect normal browsing at www.grisoft.com
    And if it is only for a manual update, I'd probably not bother as I practically
    only do updates automatically. You could use Adblock to block the same,
    then you'd get a confirmation Adblock notice rather than a blank screen.

    More information on the hosts file at
    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

  14. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "NA" wrote in message news:47E5B5FE.9080000@na.org...
    >> On 3/22/2008 8:16 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    >>> "Pete"
    >>>

    >> My FF opened up automatically to an ad page
    >> immediately after a manual update this afternoon while the Test
    >> Center screen was still open. The URL was at:
    >> http://campaign.grisoft.com/01-free78cnv/us/index.html
    >> This occurred just that once, and no other browser hijacking observed
    >> when 'Check for Updates' manually since then.

    > Since Pete did include in his original post that it probably happens
    > once per day, probably has to do with cookies. I update automatically,
    > and
    > seldom reboot.
    > If is is a continued annoyance he could include in his hosts file,
    > which I mainly use for things that are a very big annoyance or look
    > dangerous. 127.0.0.1 campaign.grisoft.com
    > and that would not affect normal browsing at www.grisoft.com
    > And if it is only for a manual update, I'd probably not bother as I
    > practically only do updates automatically. You could use Adblock to
    > block the same, then you'd get a confirmation Adblock notice rather than a
    > blank
    > screen.
    > More information on the hosts file at
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Thanks David...I dump my cookies on exit (except for the ones that I have
    protected) so I don't think its that. It didn't do it today so I hope it
    has stopped or will stop...Pete

  15. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Jim wrote:
    > Cal Tinson wrote:

    >>> The last update to AVG I installed was on 3/21/08. I just checked
    >>> for updates and Firefox suddenly opened and there was the page you
    >>> mentioned. That is going to be annoying as hell. Probably time to
    >>> look for another virus checker.

    >> I just manually installed the 3/22 update with no ad, then manually
    >> rechecked for updates with no ad. (I am registered and have daily
    >> updates scheduled mid-day.)
    >>
    >> However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex
    >> and useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    >> CTinFL

    > I'm NOT complaining about the occasional advertisement. If you've
    > noticed, the Control Center and the Test Center both have dedicated
    > spaces on the pages for advertisements for AVG Version 8. That's fine.
    > But don't start running another program that is not related to AVG.

    I agree Jim and I stated this in my original post. I like AVG and
    appreciate their free anti virus protection, but causing your browser to
    open is dirty pool :-) ...Pete

  16. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/22/2008 6:44 PM, NA wrote:
    > On 3/22/2008 8:16 PM, David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "Pete"
    >>> I am talking about a pop up ad that opens firefox that is trying to
    >>> get me to purchase AVG 8.0, because it is recognizing that I am using
    >>> the free version 7.5.

    >> I don't get such a message, do you know exactly what url you got AVG
    >> from, and more important what is the url that comes up in your browser
    >> when you are asked to update. Anything from Grisoft, I thnk would all
    >> begin with http://www.grisoft.com/ and anything else, I'd be
    >> suspicious of.
    >>

    > Grisoft is stepping up their tactics to convert its free users to paying
    > customers. This hijacking of the browser is more of an annoyance than
    > incentive to upgrade. My FF opened up automatically to an ad page
    > immediately after a manual update this afternoon while the Test Center
    > screen was still open. The URL was at:
    >
    > http://campaign.grisoft.com/01-free78cnv/us/index.html
    >
    > This occurred just that once, and no other browser hijacking observed
    > when 'Check for Updates' manually since then.

    Same experience here.

    --
    Irwin

  17. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:

    > However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    > useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    > CTinFL

    I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

  18. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "goodwin" wrote:...
    > On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:
    >> However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    >> useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!

    > I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    You probably want to read his later replies, so I agree with you all,
    including the original poster, but what if every free software did that.
    Keep in mind that the complaint is in opening a browser which is not
    part of AVG or used in any other manner with the software.
    What if Firefox that is free opened unwanted pages when a new version
    is out or was just installed -- Oh yeah it does, and when it gets
    stuck people really bitch.

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...6c7f39cc66c4ea

  19. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "Pete"
    > Thanks David...I dump my cookies on exit (except for the ones that I have
    > protected) so I don't think its that. It didn't do it today so I hope it
    > has stopped or will stop...Pete

    As I said I have things scheduled automatically, and never see the browser
    window. So I tried manual update and still don't see the browser window.
    But then if you click on what appears as a new download is available
    it brings up browser window and the new version is pay for, but then if you try to
    get back to AVG, you click on the AVG window and the whole left site
    that is not a button is a link to the browser window you are trying to get
    away from and back to the AVG window -- yes that would be annoying.
    So you have to be very careful where you click on gray space now.

    But at least you are a user, unlike if someone did the same thing to a
    webpage which would have to be classified as malware if that were so.

  20. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/23/2008 10:54 PM eastern, David McRitchie wrote:

    > As I said I have things scheduled automatically, and never see the browser
    > window. So I tried manual update and still don't see the browser window.
    > But then if you click on what appears as a new download is available
    > it brings up browser window and the new version is pay for, but then if you try to
    > get back to AVG, you click on the AVG window and the whole left site
    > that is not a button is a link to the browser window you are trying to get
    > away from and back to the AVG window -- yes that would be annoying.
    > So you have to be very careful where you click on gray space now.

    Could you be more specific? I've been trying for two days now to force
    it to open a browser window, and it doesn't. That includes two manual
    updates, a number of check for updates, and now clicking everywhere in
    sight on actual update windows (except of course the obvious ad link).
    CTinFL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast