AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla ; squaredancer submitted this idea : > On 20.04.2008 01:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sjouke Burry to > generate the following:? : >>> >> Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg. >> If that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    squaredancer submitted this idea :
    > On 20.04.2008 01:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sjouke Burry to
    > generate the following:? :

    >> Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg.
    >> If that persists , how is avast?(with its yearly nag?)

    I find it great. I haven't used AVG for a while now, but Avast is a
    good deal less clunky than AVG was a couple of years back.

    > If you, Spuke, think that the ad is annoying - think about the (sometimes
    > more often than...) daily update to AVG FREE (note the FREE bit) and ask if
    > the other FREE anti-virus applications do that for you!

    Sure, AVG Free does a good job for something that is free; I'll never
    fully understand why companies provide such services for no charge.
    However, Grisoft are not unique, and Avast certainly updates regularly;
    a quick check in Event Viewer shows that my AV has updated nine times
    during the week 23-29/04/08 inclusive. There is often more than one
    update in a day; my home PC is usually only running in the late evening
    and at weekends.

    > I am more that satisfied with AVG FREE - maybe there is something better out
    > there, but I don't want to try it... Mine updates each morning when I go
    > online - sometimes during the day as well, if there is a new update.
    > I also think that it is their right to advertize their paid version... after
    > all, friends - *YOU* get/got paid for your work, no??

    Quite right. However, there are clearly users who are not happy with
    AVG, and in that case Avast (or others) may be worth a try. Avast
    certainly doesn't provide in-your-face advertising.

    --
    Simon

  2. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Simon D wrote:
    > Sure, AVG Free does a good job for something that is free; I'll never
    > fully understand why companies provide such services for no charge.

    Simple. It's a way to promote their other products that are not free.
    It also gives them a large userbase to beta test their software that is
    a subset of the paid version.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3