AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0 - Mozilla ; On 3/24/2008 8:23 AM EDT, Cal Tinson wrote: > On 3/23/2008 10:54 PM eastern, David McRitchie wrote: > >> As I said I have things scheduled automatically, and never see the browser >> window. So I tried manual update and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/24/2008 8:23 AM EDT, Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 3/23/2008 10:54 PM eastern, David McRitchie wrote:
    >
    >> As I said I have things scheduled automatically, and never see the browser
    >> window. So I tried manual update and still don't see the browser window.
    >> But then if you click on what appears as a new download is available
    >> it brings up browser window and the new version is pay for, but then if you try to
    >> get back to AVG, you click on the AVG window and the whole left site
    >> that is not a button is a link to the browser window you are trying to get
    >> away from and back to the AVG window -- yes that would be annoying.
    >> So you have to be very careful where you click on gray space now.

    > Could you be more specific? I've been trying for two days now to force
    > it to open a browser window, and it doesn't. That includes two manual
    > updates, a number of check for updates, and now clicking everywhere in
    > sight on actual update windows (except of course the obvious ad link).
    > CTinFL

    This browser hijacking--not FF specific--does not seem to occur for
    everyone. The AVG ad campaign seems to be limited and selective--not a
    blanket coverage for all free users. Only one of my 5 PCs has displayed
    the ad page just once so far. Meanwhile, the other PCs are all running
    AVG Free manual and auto updates without triggering the ad page for the
    last couple of days now. So no big issue for me...

  2. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Pete wrote:
    > Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    > who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >
    > Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    > displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    > when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    > you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    > some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >
    > On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    > Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >
    > I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    > and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    > of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    > reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    > because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    > updates).
    >
    > I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    > on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    > their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    > my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    > 8.0.
    >

    > Thanks...Pete

    I just remembered that this happened to me once before when I
    accidentally installed the Trial version of the full product.

    The solution was to fully uninstall it and install the free one, as Mr.
    Davis advised:

    The correct URL is http://free.grisoft.com/

    --
    Marko Jotic
    "Common sense is anything but common".

  3. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:20:37 -0400, "Pete" wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> Cal Tinson wrote:

    >>> I just manually installed the 3/22 update with no ad, then manually
    >>> rechecked for updates with no ad. (I am registered and have daily
    >>> updates scheduled mid-day.)
    >>>
    >>> However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex
    >>> and useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    >>> CTinFL

    >> I'm NOT complaining about the occasional advertisement. If you've
    >> noticed, the Control Center and the Test Center both have dedicated
    >> spaces on the pages for advertisements for AVG Version 8. That's fine.
    >> But don't start running another program that is not related to AVG.

    >I agree Jim and I stated this in my original post. I like AVG and
    >appreciate their free anti virus protection, but causing your browser to
    >open is dirty pool :-) ...Pete

    I am running Vista and allow AVG to update itself daily, without my
    intervention. But, what I see is a Vista UAC popup warning me that a
    "service" is trying to interact with the desktop.

    This requires authorization to continue, only to bring up a plain
    screen (only a simple background color), and an IE window with the ad.
    My default browser is Firefox, but I guess the update service is
    taking the system default browser, not my user default.

    Anyway, when all is said an done, I have to go through three dialogs
    to clear the ad ... one to allow the "service to interact with the
    desktop", one for UAC to "continue", and a final to return to my
    desktop ... irritating

  4. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/24/2008 8:06 PM eastern, Ernie wrote:

    > I am running Vista and allow AVG to update itself daily, without my
    > intervention. But, what I see is a Vista UAC popup warning me that a
    > "service" is trying to interact with the desktop.
    >
    > This requires authorization to continue, only to bring up a plain
    > screen (only a simple background color), and an IE window with the ad.
    > My default browser is Firefox, but I guess the update service is
    > taking the system default browser, not my user default.
    >
    > Anyway, when all is said an done, I have to go through three dialogs
    > to clear the ad ... one to allow the "service to interact with the
    > desktop", one for UAC to "continue", and a final to return to my
    > desktop ... irritating

    I suspect your version of Vista may not up to date. I use Vista and auto
    AVG update, and don't get the UAC nag.
    CTinFL

  5. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/24/2008 4:06 PM Ernie scribbled:

    taking the system default browser, not my user default.

    errr, nevermind

    > Anyway, when all is said an done, I have to go through three dialogs
    > to clear the ad ... one to allow the "service to interact with the
    > desktop", one for UAC to "continue", and a final to return to my
    > desktop ... irritating

    sounds like a vista problem

  6. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:29:04 -0400, Cal Tinson
    wrote:

    >On 3/24/2008 8:06 PM eastern, Ernie wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Vista and allow AVG to update itself daily, without my
    >> intervention. But, what I see is a Vista UAC popup warning me that a
    >> "service" is trying to interact with the desktop.
    >>
    >> This requires authorization to continue, only to bring up a plain
    >> screen (only a simple background color), and an IE window with the ad.
    >> My default browser is Firefox, but I guess the update service is
    >> taking the system default browser, not my user default.
    >>
    >> Anyway, when all is said an done, I have to go through three dialogs
    >> to clear the ad ... one to allow the "service to interact with the
    >> desktop", one for UAC to "continue", and a final to return to my
    >> desktop ... irritating

    >I suspect your version of Vista may not up to date. I use Vista and auto
    >AVG update, and don't get the UAC nag.
    >CTinFL

    Vista Business, SP1 newly installed, so I think it is up to date. But
    as mentioned in this thread, some users see a browser window open and
    going to the "ad" site, and some don't.

    In my case, the browser window seems to be opened by the AVG update
    service.

    Do you ever see your browser open to the "ad" site?

  7. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/25/2008 9:23 PM eastern, Ernie wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:29:04 -0400, Cal Tinson
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 3/24/2008 8:06 PM eastern, Ernie wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running Vista and allow AVG to update itself daily, without my
    >>> intervention. But, what I see is a Vista UAC popup warning me that a
    >>> "service" is trying to interact with the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> This requires authorization to continue, only to bring up a plain
    >>> screen (only a simple background color), and an IE window with the ad.
    >>> My default browser is Firefox, but I guess the update service is
    >>> taking the system default browser, not my user default.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, when all is said an done, I have to go through three dialogs
    >>> to clear the ad ... one to allow the "service to interact with the
    >>> desktop", one for UAC to "continue", and a final to return to my
    >>> desktop ... irritating

    >>I suspect your version of Vista may not up to date. I use Vista and auto
    >>AVG update, and don't get the UAC nag.
    >>CTinFL

    > Vista Business, SP1 newly installed, so I think it is up to date. But
    > as mentioned in this thread, some users see a browser window open and
    > going to the "ad" site, and some don't.
    >
    > In my case, the browser window seems to be opened by the AVG update
    > service.
    >
    > Do you ever see your browser open to the "ad" site?

    I've never had the ad site problem either; folk posting here seem about
    evenly split. However, you're the first to post about the UAC problem. I
    just went to the AVG free forum, and found this:

    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...688#msg-118688

    Also found reference to the UAC problem. Advice for both was:

    "If you are running Windows Vista, try this:

    1. Uninstall AVG using the "Programs and Features" Control Panel
    2. Download the latest version 7.5 executable
    3. Right-click on the exe and choose "Run as administrator" to install
    4. Run AVG Update"

    If anyone with problems tries this, please let us know how you made out.
    CTinFL

  8. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "Cal Tinson"
    > I've never had the ad site problem either; folk posting here seem about
    > evenly split. However, you're the first to post about the UAC problem. I
    > just went to the AVG free forum, and found this:
    >
    > http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...688#msg-118688
    >
    > Also found reference to the UAC problem. Advice for both was:
    >
    > "If you are running Windows Vista, try this:
    >
    > 1. Uninstall AVG using the "Programs and Features" Control Panel
    > 2. Download the latest version 7.5 executable
    > 3. Right-click on the exe and choose "Run as administrator" to install
    > 4. Run AVG Update"
    >
    > If anyone with problems tries this, please let us know how you made out.
    > CTinFL

    I am on Vista Home Basic (32bit), and I never saw the ad in Firefox until I clicked on the ad,
    in AVG Launch which I'd not noticed before either, and only went looking
    for such things because of this thread. But before reinstalling AVG, I
    would not consider changing anything if you can currently pause scans,
    because I've tried reinstalling several times to fix that without success and
    when I can't do much else while it scans my system, most of which is my
    own pictures I can't imagine the worst of what was mentioned as as coming
    close to no longer being able to pause. It takes 1/2 hour to switch to administrator
    when a scan is running, so the choice is really go to bed, or terminate the
    scan through the task manager.

  9. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 3/26/2008 10:57 AM eastern, David McRitchie wrote:

    > I am on Vista Home Basic (32bit), and I never saw the ad in Firefox until I clicked on the ad,
    > in AVG Launch which I'd not noticed before either, and only went looking
    > for such things because of this thread. But before reinstalling AVG, I
    > would not consider changing anything if you can currently pause scans,
    > because I've tried reinstalling several times to fix that without success and
    > when I can't do much else while it scans my system, most of which is my
    > own pictures I can't imagine the worst of what was mentioned as as coming
    > close to no longer being able to pause. It takes 1/2 hour to switch to administrator
    > when a scan is running, so the choice is really go to bed, or terminate the
    > scan through the task manager.

    Interesting - pause works fine for me. Does the pause button show in LRC
    while you're running in Test Center?

    Do you have a pause problem when running as administator?

    BTW, in Test Center, Information, About AVG Free, I see:

    - a long licence (sic) number
    - my user name
    - program version 7.5.519
    - virus base 269.22.0/1344 release date 3/26/2008 8:52am

    Do you and others with problems see the same or similar?
    CTinFL

  10. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    "Cal Tinson" wrote in message
    > Interesting - pause works fine for me. Does the pause button show in LRC
    > while you're running in Test Center?
    >
    > Do you have a pause problem when running as administator?
    >
    > BTW, in Test Center, Information, About AVG Free, I see:
    >
    > - a long licence (sic) number
    > - my user name
    > - program version 7.5.519
    > - virus base 269.22.0/1344 release date 3/26/2008 8:52am

    No problem with cancel showing paused and request cancel
    when logged on as administrator. Do not have the choice as a standard
    user. Can't do much of anything when AVG scan is running and which
    does not show up in the task bar as a standard user, I would get AVG
    is already running. Can only see the running task if I click on
    "Show processes from all users" in the Task Manager's Processes tab
    after which I can terminate avgw.exe then no more full scans.

  11. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, goodwin wrote:
    > On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:
    >

    > > However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    > > useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    > > CTinFL

    > I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.

  12. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 4/19/2008 12:52 PM, scottwbell@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, goodwin wrote:
    >> On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:
    >>

    >>> However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    >>> useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    >>> CTinFL

    >> I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    > Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    > do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    > have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    > the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.

    AVG is providing the upgrade to 8.0 to paid versions of 7.5 for free. The ads
    may be annoying but I would say that they are merely trying to persuade you to
    accept the enhanced product you are entitled to.

    I have been using AVG Free and have never had it open a browser window or call a
    pop-up. I only see the small ad in the corner of the application window. I
    can't explain why some people would be affected and others not.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  13. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    Pete,

    I have been an avid Firefox and AVG user on xp pro sp2 for quite some
    time. I haven't read through the thread of emails following this, but
    one thing I can point out after doing some research on my system is,
    when AVG gets to the point where they start begging you to upgrade to
    the new paid version, it sends a system call to open the default
    browser to their advertisement page. Fortunately, it's not a problem
    with Firefox. I might suggest using ClamAV until AVG comes out with a
    free version of the 8.0 product later this year. You can find the
    Windows version of ClamAV by searching Google for "Clam Win". Sorry I
    don't have the url handy. I hope this helps.

    -John

    On 3/22/08, Pete wrote:
    > Sorry if this is off topic, but I am sure there are a lot of firefox users
    > who use the free AVG 7.5 virus protection. I am running xpsp2.
    >
    > Is there anyway of stopping the damn thing from opening your browser and
    > displaying an advertisement to update to the pay version 8.0. This happens
    > when I click check for updates. I think it only happens once per day (if
    > you recheck for updates several times), but I am not sure about that. I did
    > some searching in google and failed to come up with an answer.
    >
    > On googling I found that it does not happen to all people (don't know why).
    > Could it have something to do with firefox versus IE (I use firefox).
    >
    > I doubt there is any way of fixing this and am not sure that uninstalling
    > and reinstalling will help either since someone said the pop up was in one
    > of the updates and therefore I would think it would be embedded in the
    > reinstall version also (and installing an older version wouldn't help
    > because it would just be updated with the pop up ad when you ran all the
    > updates).
    >
    > I welcome any comments you may have on how to stop this annoyance, and shame
    > on Grisoft for stooping down to this level. If they put the ad in one of
    > their own control panels I could understand, but they should not be causing
    > my browser to open up automatically and load the pop up ad to buy version
    > 8.0.
    >

    > Thanks...Pete

  14. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    scottwbell@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, goodwin wrote:
    >> On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:
    >>

    >>> However, it blows my mind that people would use a freebie as complex and
    >>> useful as AVG and then bitch about an occasional ad!
    >>> CTinFL

    >> I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    > Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    > do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    > have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    > the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.

    Not in my estimation! After paying for it and upgrading to V 8. I see no advertising but then again I only boot the computer once in a blue moon.

  15. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    John Pyper has written on 4/19/2008 2:56 PM:
    > Pete,
    >
    > I have been an avid Firefox and AVG user on xp pro sp2 for quite some
    > time.

    Me, too.
    > I haven't read through the thread of emails following this, but
    > one thing I can point out after doing some research on my system is,
    > when AVG gets to the point where they start begging you to upgrade to
    > the new paid version, it sends a system call to open the default
    > browser to their advertisement page. Fortunately, it's not a problem
    > with Firefox. I might suggest using ClamAV until AVG comes out with a
    > free version of the 8.0 product later this year. You can find the
    > Windows version of ClamAV by searching Google for "Clam Win". Sorry I
    > don't have the url handy. I hope this helps.

    Avast just got a nice write-up by PCMag.
    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    --Winston Churchill

  16. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 4/19/2008 12:52 PM, scottwbell@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, goodwin wrote:
    >>> On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:

    >>> I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    >> Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    >> do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    >> have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    >> the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.

    > AVG is providing the upgrade to 8.0 to paid versions of 7.5 for free. The ads
    > may be annoying but I would say that they are merely trying to persuade you to
    > accept the enhanced product you are entitled to.

    Right. Nagware isn't malware, it's just annoyware.

    > I have been using AVG Free and have never had it open a browser window or call a
    > pop-up. I only see the small ad in the corner of the application window. I
    > can't explain why some people would be affected and others not.

    Same here. No popups, no new browser windows, no nothing except a
    reminder that the db is out of date.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  17. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 4/19/2008 12:52 PM, scottwbell@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, goodwin wrote:
    >>> On 3/23/2008 4:27 AM Cal Tinson scribbled:

    >>> I was about to send in the same thought, so I'll just second you instead.

    >> Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    >> do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    >> have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    >> the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.

    > AVG is providing the upgrade to 8.0 to paid versions of 7.5 for free. The ads
    > may be annoying but I would say that they are merely trying to persuade you to
    > accept the enhanced product you are entitled to.
    >
    > I have been using AVG Free and have never had it open a browser window or call a
    > pop-up. I only see the small ad in the corner of the application window. I
    > can't explain why some people would be affected and others not.

    Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg.
    If that persists , how is avast?(with its yearly nag?)

  18. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    On 20.04.2008 01:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sjouke Burry
    to generate the following:? :
    > G. R. Woodring wrote:

    >>> Just FYI - I have a paid version of AVG (AVG Firewall+) and not only
    >>> do they open the occasional browser window with their 8.0 ads they now
    >>> have a pop up and every boot. In short - AVG no equals AdWare, even
    >>> the paid versions. Grisoft is a malware company now.
    >>>

    >> AVG is providing the upgrade to 8.0 to paid versions of 7.5 for free. The ads
    >> may be annoying but I would say that they are merely trying to persuade you to
    >> accept the enhanced product you are entitled to.
    >>
    >> I have been using AVG Free and have never had it open a browser window or call a
    >> pop-up. I only see the small ad in the corner of the application window. I
    >> can't explain why some people would be affected and others not.
    >>

    > Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg.
    > If that persists , how is avast?(with its yearly nag?)

    just for you guys' information... I follow this thread as I also have
    the free version of AVG... must admit, I got ONE ad, three days ago,
    asking if I wanted to upgrade to the vers 8! Clicked it off and not had
    one since!

    If you, Spuke, think that the ad is annoying - think about the
    (sometimes more often than...) daily update to AVG FREE (note the FREE
    bit) and ask if the other FREE anti-virus applications do that for you!

    I am more that satisfied with AVG FREE - maybe there is something better
    out there, but I don't want to try it... Mine updates each morning when
    I go online - sometimes during the day as well, if there is a new update.
    I also think that it is their right to advertize their paid version...
    after all, friends - *YOU* get/got paid for your work, no??

    reg

  19. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 20.04.2008 01:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sjouke Burry
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> G. R. Woodring wrote:

    >>> AVG is providing the upgrade to 8.0 to paid versions of 7.5 for free.
    >>> The ads may be annoying but I would say that they are merely trying
    >>> to persuade you to accept the enhanced product you are entitled to.
    >>>
    >>> I have been using AVG Free and have never had it open a browser
    >>> window or call a pop-up. I only see the small ad in the corner of the
    >>> application window. I can't explain why some people would be affected
    >>> and others not.
    >>>

    >> Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg.
    >> If that persists , how is avast?(with its yearly nag?)

    > just for you guys' information... I follow this thread as I also have
    > the free version of AVG... must admit, I got ONE ad, three days ago,
    > asking if I wanted to upgrade to the vers 8! Clicked it off and not had
    > one since!
    >
    > If you, Spuke, think that the ad is annoying - think about the
    > (sometimes more often than...) daily update to AVG FREE (note the FREE
    > bit) and ask if the other FREE anti-virus applications do that for you!
    >
    > I am more that satisfied with AVG FREE - maybe there is something better
    > out there, but I don't want to try it... Mine updates each morning when
    > I go online - sometimes during the day as well, if there is a new update.
    > I also think that it is their right to advertize their paid version...
    > after all, friends - *YOU* get/got paid for your work, no??
    >
    > reg

    OK, I just closed Thunderbird 2 and there was an AVG pop-up waiting for
    me. Process Explorer reported the pop-up window belonged to the AVG
    Control Center, not Firefox. As this tread is almost a month old I
    don't think the occasional ad will be too annoying.

    I will probably update to AVG 8.0 +anti-spyware as Ad-Aware SE now has
    limited support and the new Ad-Aware 2007 has been reported by some to
    be a somewhat buggy, bloated resource hog.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  20. Re: AVG Free question about Pop up ad for 8.0

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 20.04.2008 01:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sjouke Burry
    >> to generate the following:? :

    >>> Just today I got an annoying popup ad from avg.
    >>> If that persists , how is avast?(with its yearly nag?)

    >> just for you guys' information... I follow this thread as I also have
    >> the free version of AVG... must admit, I got ONE ad, three days ago,
    >> asking if I wanted to upgrade to the vers 8! Clicked it off and not had
    >> one since!
    >>
    >> If you, Spuke, think that the ad is annoying - think about the
    >> (sometimes more often than...) daily update to AVG FREE (note the FREE
    >> bit) and ask if the other FREE anti-virus applications do that for you!
    >>
    >> I am more that satisfied with AVG FREE - maybe there is something better
    >> out there, but I don't want to try it... Mine updates each morning when
    >> I go online - sometimes during the day as well, if there is a new update.
    >> I also think that it is their right to advertize their paid version...
    >> after all, friends - *YOU* get/got paid for your work, no??
    >>
    >> reg

    > OK, I just closed Thunderbird 2 and there was an AVG pop-up waiting for
    > me. Process Explorer reported the pop-up window belonged to the AVG
    > Control Center, not Firefox. As this tread is almost a month old I
    > don't think the occasional ad will be too annoying.
    >
    > I will probably update to AVG 8.0 +anti-spyware as Ad-Aware SE now has
    > limited support and the new Ad-Aware 2007 has been reported by some to
    > be a somewhat buggy, bloated resource hog.

    FWIW: One thing that impressed me about AVG was how they bent over backwards to help me with using PayPal. Seems back in 2001 I had used PayPal but they had never heard of it so evidenly blacklisted me by e-mail address. This time however they evidently had new management and even went to the trouble of rewriting their payment page to include a PayPal link. How many companies are heads up enough to do that on the same day you talk to customer support?