Windows Update with FireFox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Windows Update with FireFox - Mozilla ; I have Windows XP with SP2 and I use only FF as my browser. Now I cannot get Windows update using FF. Recently I found there is WindizUpdate available as FF Add On. Is it safe to use this Add ...

  1. Windows Update with FireFox

    I have Windows XP with SP2 and I use only FF as my browser.

    Now I cannot get Windows update using FF.

    Recently I found there is WindizUpdate available as FF Add On.

    Is it safe to use this Add On for Windows Update?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Windows Update with FireFox

    On 3/15/2008 10:09 AM, JAG CHAN wrote:
    > I have Windows XP with SP2 and I use only FF as my browser.
    >
    > Now I cannot get Windows update using FF.
    >
    > Recently I found there is WindizUpdate available as FF Add On.
    >
    > Is it safe to use this Add On for Windows Update?
    >
    > Thanks.

    No problems as far as I can see. I do wonder what the point of the extension
    is, though. You could simply create a bookmark for
    "http://www.windizupdate.com" and even put it on your personal toolbar.

    Also, you can't remove Internet Explorer from Windows without causing problems
    that may render Windows unusable as a GUI OS, so why not use it just for Windows
    Update. You probably already have a shortcut to Windows Update in [start]>[All
    Programs], If not just create a shortcut with this target and put it in your
    Quick Launch toolbar.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll,LaunchMUSite

    If you subscribe to the "Microsoft Is Evil" camp and are doing this for spite,
    stop and think... No one at Microsoft _cares_.

    I prefer Firefox and try to avoid IE only sites but I'm not obsessed with
    banishing IE forever. Just my two cents worth :-)

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Windows Update with FireFox

    JAG CHAN wrote:
    > I have Windows XP with SP2 and I use only FF as my browser.
    >
    > Now I cannot get Windows update using FF.
    >
    > Recently I found there is WindizUpdate available as FF Add On.
    >
    > Is it safe to use this Add On for Windows Update?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I do this by installing the 'IE Tab' add-on

    and pretending to be 'IE'. It works. (Though it does require an
    installed IE6 or IE 7 on the machine).

+ Reply to Thread