Favicons - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Favicons - Mozilla ; I have disabled favicons in FF 3.0b4 using about :config and 'browser.chrome.favicons boolean false', yet they still show up. Is there another way to disable them? -- Continuum - Meet people from all over the world... then kill them. Free ...

  1. Favicons

    --
    Continuum - Meet people from all over the world... then kill them.

    Free online multiplayer action game http://www.getcontinuum.com/

  2. Re: Favicons

    Andy W. wrote:
    > I have disabled favicons in FF 3.0b4 using about:config and
    > 'browser.chrome.favicons boolean false', yet they still show up.
    >
    > Is there another way to disable them?

    You have to block web site icons as well.

  3. Re: Favicons

    EE wrote:
    > Andy W. wrote:
    >> I have disabled favicons in FF 3.0b4 using about:config and
    >> 'browser.chrome.favicons boolean false', yet they still show up.
    >>
    >> Is there another way to disable them?
    >>

    > You have to block web site icons as well.

    What's the difference between a favicon and a "web site icon"?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: Favicons

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:22:58 -0800, in message ,
    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > EE wrote:
    > > Andy W. wrote:
    > >> I have disabled favicons in FF 3.0b4 using about:config and
    > >> 'browser.chrome.favicons boolean false', yet they still show up.
    > >>
    > >> Is there another way to disable them?
    > >>

    > > You have to block web site icons as well.

    > What's the difference between a favicon and a "web site icon"?

    A. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/barbecue.html
    The page's HTML code does not specify an icon

    If the browser's settings allow, the browser tries to load and
    use the icon http://homepages.example.com/favicon.ico which
    (if it exists) would be the default favicon for the entire domain
    homepages.example.com.

    B. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/shark.html
    The page's HTML code contains this

    href="http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico">

    If the browser's settings allow, the browser loads and uses
    the icon http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico
    that is specified in the HTML.

    The next question should be about the two settings

    browser.chrome.favicons
    browser.chrome.site_icons

    AFAICT setting browser.chrome.favicons to false turns off 'A' only
    (the idea being to not hammer servers which don't have a default
    favicon), while setting browser.chrome.site_icons to false turns
    off both 'A' and 'B' (this setting being for users who don't want
    to see the icons).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  5. Re: Favicons

    "Ralph Fox" <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote in message news:06emt3lipb0jp1g9eogdmola190fo4fig0@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:22:58 -0800, in message ,
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> EE wrote:

    >> > You have to block web site icons as well.

    >> What's the difference between a favicon and a "web site icon"?

    > A. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/barbecue.html
    > The page's HTML code does not specify an icon
    >
    > If the browser's settings allow, the browser tries to load and
    > use the icon http://homepages.example.com/favicon.ico which
    > (if it exists) would be the default favicon for the entire domain
    > homepages.example.com.
    >

    > B. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/shark.html
    > The page's HTML code contains this
    >
    > > href="http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico">
    >
    > If the browser's settings allow, the browser loads and uses
    > the icon http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico
    > that is specified in the HTML.
    >

    > The next question should be about the two settings
    >
    > browser.chrome.favicons
    > browser.chrome.site_icons
    >
    > AFAICT setting browser.chrome.favicons to false turns off 'A' only
    > (the idea being to not hammer servers which don't have a default
    > favicon), while setting browser.chrome.site_icons to false turns
    > off both 'A' and 'B' (this setting being for users who don't want
    > to see the icons).

    Also see the following which doesn't explain things:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...config_Entries

    indicates:
    Note: This [browser.chrome.favicons] should be set to the same
    value as browser.chrome.site_icons for legacy reasons.

    there is also browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons, which can
    override browser.chrome.site_icons with a setting of 0

  6. Re: Favicons

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:22:58 -0800, in message ,
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> EE wrote:

    >>> You have to block web site icons as well.

    >> What's the difference between a favicon and a "web site icon"?

    > A. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/barbecue.html
    > The page's HTML code does not specify an icon
    >
    > If the browser's settings allow, the browser tries to load and
    > use the icon http://homepages.example.com/favicon.ico which
    > (if it exists) would be the default favicon for the entire domain
    > homepages.example.com.
    >

    > B. You load a page http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/shark.html
    > The page's HTML code contains this
    >
    > > href="http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico">
    >
    > If the browser's settings allow, the browser loads and uses
    > the icon http://homepages.example.com/~blinky/images/shark.ico
    > that is specified in the HTML.

    Ah! Okay. All my pages have the relative link declaration; I didn't
    know about the A behavior.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups