Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options - Mozilla ; Hi, So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...ting_bookmarks , but when I use File -> Import I'm only ...

  1. Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    Hi,
    So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I
    found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow
    http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...ting_bookmarks
    , but when I use File -> Import I'm only allowed to import from
    Internet Explorer, and there are no other options shown like in the
    screen cap of the help page. Does anyone know why Firefox is having
    the dialog box with only the IE option? Or rather, another way I can
    import my old Bookmarks.html file?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

  2. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    LK wrote:
    > Hi,
    > So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I
    > found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow
    > http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...ting_bookmarks
    > , but when I use File -> Import I'm only allowed to import from
    > Internet Explorer, and there are no other options shown like in the
    > screen cap of the help page. Does anyone know why Firefox is having
    > the dialog box with only the IE option? Or rather, another way I can
    > import my old Bookmarks.html file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!

    You could use the import from file method described at -
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...port_from_file

    Assuming you're using a new profile and don't need the new
    bookmark file in it, you could copy and paste the old bookmark
    file over it.

    Ann

  3. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    LK wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 1:33 pm, Annailis wrote:
    >> LK wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I
    >>> found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow
    >>> http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...tml#importing_...
    >>> , but when I use File -> Import I'm only allowed to import from
    >>> Internet Explorer, and there are no other options shown like in the
    >>> screen cap of the help page. Does anyone know why Firefox is having
    >>> the dialog box with only the IE option? Or rather, another way I can
    >>> import my old Bookmarks.html file?
    >>> Thanks in advance for any help!

    >> You could use the import from file method described at -http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Importing_Opera_Bookmarks#...
    >>
    >> Assuming you're using a new profile and don't need the new
    >> bookmark file in it, you could copy and paste the old bookmark
    >> file over it.
    >>
    >> Ann

    > Hmm, I've added new bookmarks into the new file (I'm such a heavy
    > bookmarker... :x) so I can't immediately save over the file... I'll
    > guess I'll have to really consider this option if I can't find a way
    > so that my old bookmarks can be thrown in with my new ones. :[

    Have you tried importing the old html file as outlined in the
    mozilla knowledgebase entry?

    Ann

  4. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    On Mar 11, 1:33 pm, Annailis wrote:
    > LK wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I
    > > found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow
    > >http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...tml#importing_...
    > > , but when I use File -> Import I'm only allowed to import from
    > > Internet Explorer, and there are no other options shown like in the
    > > screen cap of the help page. Does anyone know why Firefox is having
    > > the dialog box with only the IE option? Or rather, another way I can
    > > import my old Bookmarks.html file?

    > > Thanks in advance for any help!

    > You could use the import from file method described at -http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Importing_Opera_Bookmarks#...
    >
    > Assuming you're using a new profile and don't need the new
    > bookmark file in it, you could copy and paste the old bookmark
    > file over it.
    >
    > Ann

    Hmm, I've added new bookmarks into the new file (I'm such a heavy
    bookmarker... :x) so I can't immediately save over the file... I'll
    guess I'll have to really consider this option if I can't find a way
    so that my old bookmarks can be thrown in with my new ones. :[

  5. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    On Mar 11, 1:51 pm, Annailis wrote:
    > LK wrote:
    > >> You could use the import from file method described at -http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Importing_Opera_Bookmarks#...

    > >> Assuming you're using a new profile and don't need the new
    > >> bookmark file in it, you could copy and paste the old bookmark
    > >> file over it.

    > >> Ann

    > > Hmm, I've added new bookmarks into the new file (I'm such a heavy
    > > bookmarker... :x) so I can't immediately save over the file... I'll
    > > guess I'll have to really consider this option if I can't find a way
    > > so that my old bookmarks can be thrown in with my new ones. :[

    > Have you tried importing the old html file as outlined in the
    > mozilla knowledgebase entry?
    >
    > Ann

    I'm guessing that you probably mean the link that you mentioned? Well
    I checked it, even though you said it would copy over the bookmarks in
    the current Bookmarks.html file...

    *goes off and checks and sees the 'Firefox 2 and earlier' points*

    The imported bookmarks that showed up in the Bookmarks Manager aren't
    showing up in the drop down menu, but it'll probably show up when I
    restart Firefox. :]

    So it worked! Thank you!

  6. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    LK wrote:
    > Hi,
    > So I moved all of my data on to a new HD and re-install Firefox. I
    > found my old Bookmarks.html file and I read and tried to follow
    > http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_b...ting_bookmarks
    > , but when I use File -> Import I'm only allowed to import from
    > Internet Explorer, and there are no other options shown like in the
    > screen cap of the help page. Does anyone know why Firefox is having
    > the dialog box with only the IE option? Or rather, another way I can
    > import my old Bookmarks.html file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!

    Go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks. In the Bookmarks Manager window
    that opens, go to File -> Import, then select 'From File' and click
    'Next'. That will allow you to import your old bookmarks.html file.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    LK wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 1:51 pm, Annailis wrote:
    >> LK wrote:
    >>> Hmm, I've added new bookmarks into the new file (I'm such a heavy
    >>> bookmarker... :x) so I can't immediately save over the file... I'll
    >>> guess I'll have to really consider this option if I can't find a way
    >>> so that my old bookmarks can be thrown in with my new ones. :[

    >> Have you tried importing the old html file as outlined in the
    >> mozilla knowledgebase entry?
    >>
    >> Ann

    > I'm guessing that you probably mean the link that you mentioned? Well
    > I checked it, even though you said it would copy over the bookmarks in
    > the current Bookmarks.html file...
    >
    > *goes off and checks and sees the 'Firefox 2 and earlier' points*
    >
    > The imported bookmarks that showed up in the Bookmarks Manager aren't
    > showing up in the drop down menu, but it'll probably show up when I
    > restart Firefox. :]
    >
    > So it worked! Thank you!

    Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original response. They were
    actually two different suggestions for "importing" bookmark files
    - the mozillazine way and the way I usually copy bookmark files
    to a new profile.

    Glad you were able to accomplish what you needed.

    Ann

  8. Re: Firefox Missing Bookmarks Options

    "Alex K." wrote:
    > Go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks. In the Bookmarks Manager window
    > that opens, go to File -> Import, then select 'From File' and click
    > 'Next'. That will allow you to import your old bookmarks.html file.

    LK did do that and was successful, but there is a problem with importing
    bookmarks and that is creating duplicate folders and duplicate bookmarks,
    which can often be seen in having a duplicate "Personal Toolbar Folder"
    where you can see you appear to have a bookmark in the 'proper' place
    in doing a search in the Bookmarks Manager, but it does not appear
    on the bookmarks toolbar.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,