Exporting a sub-folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Exporting a sub-folder - Mozilla ; I'd like to export a subfolder of my bookmarks-html, preferably without userIDs and passwords. I have two goals - one is to have an HTML file they could click on, or alternatively, import that folder into her bookmarks.html. I could ...

  1. Exporting a sub-folder

    I'd like to export a subfolder of my bookmarks-html, preferably
    without userIDs and passwords.

    I have two goals - one is to have an HTML file they could click on, or
    alternatively, import that folder into her bookmarks.html.

    I could export the whole thing and edit it down by hand. Is there a
    better solution?

  2. Re: Exporting a sub-folder

    On 10-03-2008 20:10 CET, Howard Brazee composed this enchanting statement:
    > I'd like to export a subfolder of my bookmarks-html, preferably
    > without userIDs and passwords.
    >
    > I have two goals - one is to have an HTML file they could click on, or
    > alternatively, import that folder into her bookmarks.html.
    >
    > I could export the whole thing and edit it down by hand. Is there a
    > better solution?

    Have a look at OPML support:

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Exporting a sub-folder

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:34:30 +0100, Melchert Fruitema
    wrote:

    >> I could export the whole thing and edit it down by hand. Is there a
    >> better solution?
    >>

    >Have a look at OPML support:

    I'm unfamiliar with OPML, but when I installed it, I saw that the XML
    like file it created was much smaller and easier to edit than the
    bookmarks.html file. It appears that my passwords are gone, which is
    useful, but after I edit out everything except the subfolder I want to
    share, I can't just e-mail the OPML file to the person I want to share
    it with - not unless she has OPML.

    Maybe I'm supposed to copy my bookmarks.html file to a safe place, and
    then use the OPML add-in to import my edited file - then save my
    bookmarks.html file and copy it to my desktop or somewhere. When I'm
    done import my saved bookmarks.html file.

    Or am I missing something?

  4. Re: Exporting a sub-folder

    On 10-03-2008 20:48 CET, Howard Brazee composed this enchanting statement:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:34:30 +0100, Melchert Fruitema
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> I could export the whole thing and edit it down by hand. Is there a
    > >> better solution?
    > >>

    > >Have a look at OPML support:
    > >

    > I'm unfamiliar with OPML, but when I installed it, I saw that the XML
    > like file it created was much smaller and easier to edit than the
    > bookmarks.html file. It appears that my passwords are gone, which is
    > useful, but after I edit out everything except the subfolder I want to
    > share, I can't just e-mail the OPML file to the person I want to share
    > it with - not unless she has OPML.

    That was the idea.
    > Maybe I'm supposed to copy my bookmarks.html file to a safe place, and
    > then use the OPML add-in to import my edited file - then save my
    > bookmarks.html file and copy it to my desktop or somewhere. When I'm
    > done import my saved bookmarks.html file.
    >
    > Or am I missing something?

    No. Awkward, though.

    I've no better option for the moment. The next release will be quite
    different with its sqllite.db for bookmarks, I think.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Exporting a sub-folder

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:59:31 +0100, Melchert Fruitema
    wrote:

    >> Maybe I'm supposed to copy my bookmarks.html file to a safe place, and
    >> then use the OPML add-in to import my edited file - then save my
    >> bookmarks.html file and copy it to my desktop or somewhere. When I'm
    >> done import my saved bookmarks.html file.
    >>
    >> Or am I missing something?
    >>

    >No. Awkward, though.
    >
    >I've no better option for the moment. The next release will be quite
    >different with its sqllite.db for bookmarks, I think.

    So I edited the .opml file, renamed my bookmarks.html file, and opened
    Firefox. Somehow it found my bookmarks anyway. I imported the .opml
    file with a unique folder name, and then tried to delete all of the
    folders, but got stuck with my Toolbar folder. So I exited, telling
    Foxmarks not to synchronize, and edited my bookmarks.html down to
    include only the uniquely named folder, changed my headers and saved
    this .html file (with a new name). I verified that my saved notes
    with passwords were not there.

    I copied my bookmarks.html file back and clicked on this .html file
    and found a web page with my links.

    Ugh.

+ Reply to Thread