Quicktime 360 Tours Problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Quicktime 360 Tours Problem - Mozilla ; I am using Firefox on a PowerPC based Mac running OSX Leopard. There seems to be a problem running 360 Tours found on sites for cruise lines and hotels. When I try to view the Tour I get a dialog ...

  1. Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    I am using Firefox on a PowerPC based Mac running OSX Leopard.

    There seems to be a problem running 360 Tours found on sites for
    cruise lines and hotels. When I try to view the Tour I get a dialog
    that I am missing a Quicktime PlugIn however this dialog can't tell me
    what it is. After doing some digging it looks like this might be
    something to do with some kind of ActiveX compatibility because, if
    you view the Page Source on a page with this issue, you can find that
    there is a request for a "qtactivex" PlugIn that does not seem to
    exist in the Quicktime PlugIns page.

    This seems to be an issue with Firefox though because if I go to the
    same page in Safari the 360 Tours work fine. To the best of my
    knowledge I have the most current versions of both the browsers
    installed on my Mac.

    Anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it?

  2. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    MoosetraxFTW@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am using Firefox on a PowerPC based Mac running OSX Leopard.
    >
    > There seems to be a problem running 360 Tours found on sites for
    > cruise lines and hotels. When I try to view the Tour I get a dialog
    > that I am missing a Quicktime PlugIn however this dialog can't tell me
    > what it is. After doing some digging it looks like this might be
    > something to do with some kind of ActiveX compatibility because, if
    > you view the Page Source on a page with this issue, you can find that
    > there is a request for a "qtactivex" PlugIn that does not seem to
    > exist in the Quicktime PlugIns page.
    >
    > This seems to be an issue with Firefox though because if I go to the
    > same page in Safari the 360 Tours work fine. To the best of my
    > knowledge I have the most current versions of both the browsers
    > installed on my Mac.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it?

    Please send a couple of links to problem pages, so that we can test.

    Lee

  3. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    MoosetraxFTW@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am using Firefox on a PowerPC based Mac running OSX Leopard.
    >
    > There seems to be a problem running 360 Tours found on sites for
    > cruise lines and hotels. When I try to view the Tour I get a dialog
    > that I am missing a Quicktime PlugIn however this dialog can't tell me
    > what it is. After doing some digging it looks like this might be
    > something to do with some kind of ActiveX compatibility because, if
    > you view the Page Source on a page with this issue, you can find that
    > there is a request for a "qtactivex" PlugIn that does not seem to
    > exist in the Quicktime PlugIns page.
    >
    > This seems to be an issue with Firefox though because if I go to the
    > same page in Safari the 360 Tours work fine. To the best of my
    > knowledge I have the most current versions of both the browsers
    > installed on my Mac.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it?

    Please provide a url or two of sites that you experience the problem on

  4. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > MoosetraxFTW@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am using Firefox on a PowerPC based Mac running OSX Leopard.
    >>
    >> There seems to be a problem running 360 Tours found on sites for
    >> cruise lines and hotels. When I try to view the Tour I get a dialog
    >> that I am missing a Quicktime PlugIn however this dialog can't tell me
    >> what it is. After doing some digging it looks like this might be
    >> something to do with some kind of ActiveX compatibility because, if
    >> you view the Page Source on a page with this issue, you can find that
    >> there is a request for a "qtactivex" PlugIn that does not seem to
    >> exist in the Quicktime PlugIns page.
    >>
    >> This seems to be an issue with Firefox though because if I go to the
    >> same page in Safari the 360 Tours work fine. To the best of my
    >> knowledge I have the most current versions of both the browsers
    >> installed on my Mac.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it?

    > Please provide a url or two of sites that you experience the problem on

    Great minds think alike!!

    Lee

  5. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    Here is the site I was looking at when I experienced the problem. Just
    click on any of the links for the room types: Interior, Ocean View,
    Balcony. For me, a pop-up comes up with a dialog saying "Additional
    plugins are required to display this page" and "Click here to download
    plugins."

    Thanks a lot for your help on this!

    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...litary=&state=

  6. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    MoosetraxFTW@gmail.com wrote:
    > Here is the site I was looking at when I experienced the problem. Just
    > click on any of the links for the room types: Interior, Ocean View,
    > Balcony. For me, a pop-up comes up with a dialog saying "Additional
    > plugins are required to display this page" and "Click here to download
    > plugins."
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your help on this!
    >
    > http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...litary=&state=

    Well, I get the same error as you. On SeaMonkey, I get sent to the
    Quick Time download page, telling me to download the same version I
    already have.

    You are correct that Safari displays the page.

    Lee

  7. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > MoosetraxFTW@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Here is the site I was looking at when I experienced the problem. Just
    >> click on any of the links for the room types: Interior, Ocean View,
    >> Balcony. For me, a pop-up comes up with a dialog saying "Additional
    >> plugins are required to display this page" and "Click here to download
    >> plugins."
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot for your help on this!
    >>
    >> http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...litary=&state=

    > Well, I get the same error as you. On SeaMonkey, I get sent to the
    > Quick Time download page, telling me to download the same version I
    > already have.
    >
    > You are correct that Safari displays the page.
    >
    > Lee

    I ran the URL of the VR file itself through web-sniffer.net, and it
    comes back with a mime-type of text/plain.

    The source file is at:
    http://media.royalcaribbean.com/cont...eriorPano.pano

    I checked another URL that utilizes the QT VR capability, and it worked
    fine:
    http://storage.vrantwerp.com/QT/vrij...-antwerp-2.mov

    Two points that I noticed:

    The file extension for the one that works is .mov, while the one that
    doesn't is .pano.

    The mime-type for the .mov file is, appropriately, video/quicktime.

    So, I believe that its a mime-type problem, on the server side. What
    led me to all of this is that, if you click on the puzzle piece to
    download the plugin, the Plugin Finder Service indicates 'Unknown Plugin
    (text/plain)'.

    Indeed, it does appear that it really is a .mov file.

    I saved the problem page as 'Web Page, complete'.

    Then I went into the folder containing the files for the page,
    'cabin.do_files'.

    There was the file in question, with a .txt extension:
    ADV_LArgerInteriorPano.txt.

    Opening it with a hex editor, I noticed this at the beginning of the
    file (in ASCII): ....lmoov...lmvhd

    So, I changed the file extension to .mov, opened it with QT Player, and
    it worked fine.

    Next I edited the HTML file, changing the reference from
    ADV_LArgerInteriorPano.txt to ADV_LArgerInteriorPano.mov. Opening that
    saved page, correctly displays the VR image, allowing you to move
    around, zoom, etc.

    To sum it up, a note to the web site is order, I believe, informing them
    of the problem, and the fix.

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: Quicktime 360 Tours Problem

    Thanks everyone for all the help!

    I will send a note to the site to inform them and give them a link to
    this thread for reference.

+ Reply to Thread