Possible to rotate FF on the screen? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Possible to rotate FF on the screen? - Mozilla ; Hi Experts :-) There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately I cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

  1. Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    Hi Experts :-)

    There are times when I would like to copy an image, using
    alt+ prnt screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my
    screen. Unfortunately I cannot rotate my screen. I know I
    can use PhotoFiltre and do two pastes with an assemble but
    that's tedious.

    Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick.
    Possible or?

    TIA

    RF

  2. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    RF wrote:
    > Hi Experts :-)
    >
    > There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    > screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately I
    > cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two pastes
    > with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >
    > Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?


    Your video card may support rotation, even if this is not physically
    possible with your monitor. Check your video properties to see if it is
    possible: if it is, tell it to rotate the image by 90 degrees, adjust
    the FF browser window to fit, do your ALt+Print, then rotate the image back.

  3. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    On Mar 2, 12:51 pm, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
    wrote:
    > RF wrote:
    > > Hi Experts :-)

    >
    > > There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    > > screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately I
    > > cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two pastes
    > > with an assemble but that's tedious.

    >
    > > Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?

    >
    > Your video card may support rotation, even if this is not physically
    > possible with your monitor. Check your video properties to see if it is
    > possible: if it is, tell it to rotate the image by 90 degrees, adjust
    > the FF browser window to fit, do your ALt+Print, then rotate the image back.


    If you have an ATI video card in Vista, you can use the Catalyst
    Control Center (CCC) to rotate the image. Start CCC, select "Displays
    Manager" (sic), then change the "Rotation:" field. Mind you, your
    mouse pointer orientation is also rotated.

    Why can't you copy an image (using the context menu "Copy Image") with
    Firefox into the clipboard and paste it into your image editing tool?

    --
    Kam-Hung Soh Software Salariman a>

  4. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    C A Upsdell > wrote:
    > RF wrote:
    >> Hi Experts :-)
    >>
    >> There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    >> screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately
    >> I cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two
    >> pastes with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >>
    >> Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?

    >
    > Your video card may support rotation, even if this is not physically
    > possible with your monitor. Check your video properties to see if it is
    > possible: if it is, tell it to rotate the image by 90 degrees, adjust
    > the FF browser window to fit, do your ALt+Print, then rotate the image
    > back.



    Thank you C A. I have a Radeon 9000 card and just checked
    Display Properties
    but there is no trace of a rotation. Next time I buy a card
    I know what to look for :-)

    Have a great weekend.

    RF


  5. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?


    'Manfred Schwarz" wrote....
    > RF schrieb:
    >> There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    >> screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately I
    >> cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two pastes
    >> with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >>
    >> Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?

    >
    > FSCapture is able to make screen shots larger than the screen if there
    > are scroll bars. Very nice tool. Free for home users till Ver 5.1
    > http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm


    Another possibility 'might' be to change the screen resolution to 30% higher,
    then use the same screen capture and cropping that was used before.

  6. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    Kam-Hung Soh wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 12:51 pm, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
    > wrote:
    >> RF wrote:
    >>> Hi Experts :-)
    >>> There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    >>> screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately I
    >>> cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two pastes
    >>> with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >>> Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?

    >> Your video card may support rotation, even if this is not physically
    >> possible with your monitor. Check your video properties to see if it is
    >> possible: if it is, tell it to rotate the image by 90 degrees, adjust
    >> the FF browser window to fit, do your ALt+Print, then rotate the image back.

    >
    > If you have an ATI video card in Vista, you can use the Catalyst
    > Control Center (CCC) to rotate the image. Start CCC, select "Displays
    > Manager" (sic), then change the "Rotation:" field. Mind you, your
    > mouse pointer orientation is also rotated.
    >
    > Why can't you copy an image (using the context menu "Copy Image") with
    > Firefox into the clipboard and paste it into your image editing tool?
    >
    > --
    > Kam-Hung Soh Software Salariman > a>


    Very interesting suggestions Kam-Hung.

    There was no trace of the word Context in the FF Help file
    but I found it in the Content
    Option | Advanced. Context menus are disabled by default in
    the Advanced Javascript settings. I
    unchecked the box but, after restarting FF I could find no
    place where I could "Copy image" in any context menu. Where
    is it?

    Thanks for the help.

    RF


  7. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    "RF"
    > Very interesting suggestions Kam-Hung.
    >
    > There was no trace of the word Context in the FF Help file
    > but I found it in the Content
    > Option | Advanced. Context menus are disabled by default in
    > the Advanced Javascript settings. I
    > unchecked the box but, after restarting FF I could find no
    > place where I could "Copy image" in any context menu. Where
    > is it?



  8. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    "RF"
    > Very interesting suggestions Kam-Hung.
    >
    > There was no trace of the word Context in the FF Help file
    > but I found it in the Content
    > Option | Advanced. Context menus are disabled by default in
    > the Advanced Javascript settings. I
    > unchecked the box but, after restarting FF I could find no
    > place where I could "Copy image" in any context menu. Where
    > is it?


    Right click on the image, should get you "Copy Image".
    Right-Click Menus and Toolbars in Firefox
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/rightff.htm

    Context Menus (Right-click menus) may be disabled by JavaScript,
    the images themselves may be made available only through JavaScript.

    If right-click is disabled by JavaScript you can reenable it with a
    bookmarklet. see "restore context menu" Fixes pages that disable context menus.
    at https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    and others at https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    More on bookmarklets at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/bookmarklets.htm
    http://subsimple.com/bookmarklets/collection_layout.asp

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,
    Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm


  9. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    Manfred Schwarz wrote:
    > RF schrieb:
    >
    >> Hi Experts :-)
    >>
    >> There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    >> screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen. Unfortunately
    >> I cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre and do two
    >> pastes with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >>
    >> Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> RF

    >
    >
    > FSCapture is able to make screen shots larger than the screen if there
    > are scroll bars.
    > Very nice tool.
    > Free for home users till Ver 5.1
    >
    > http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm
    >
    > Regards
    > Manfred


    Thanks M.S. - will look into that one.

    RF

  10. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    David McRitchie wrote:
    >
    > 'Manfred Schwarz" wrote....
    >> RF schrieb:
    >>> There are times when I would like to copy an image, using alt+ prnt
    >>> screen, but cannot because it is too tall for my screen.
    >>> Unfortunately I cannot rotate my screen. I know I can use PhotoFiltre
    >>> and do two pastes with an assemble but that's tedious.
    >>>
    >>> Being able to rotate FF by 90 degrees would do the trick. Possible or?

    >>
    >> FSCapture is able to make screen shots larger than the screen if there
    >> are scroll bars. Very nice tool. Free for home users till Ver 5.1
    >> http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

    >
    > Another possibility 'might' be to change the screen resolution to 30%
    > higher,
    > then use the same screen capture and cropping that was used before.


    My Sony Monitor and Radeon9000 seem not to get on very well
    at higher resolutions.
    Sometimes the picture gets distorted.

    The best resolution I can get is 1280x1024 and the 1024 is
    often not enough.

    A curious thing - by accident yeaterday I had a Google map
    opened and tried the
    right-click and copy. A small square of the map was the
    result of the copy, so it seems
    like they put the maps together with a bunch of these
    squares. New to me :-)

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    RF

  11. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    "RF" ...
    > A curious thing - by accident yeaterday I had a Google map
    > opened and tried the
    > right-click and copy. A small square of the map was the
    > result of the copy, so it seems
    > like they put the maps together with a bunch of these
    > squares. New to me :-)


    That makes it so that entire picture seen does not have to
    be loaded and it means that people with dial up access can
    actually use Google Maps and drag the view to reposition
    the map. Enough to get a feel for what it does, but still
    too slow. But the technique is also used on the megapixel
    camera and other things where you can zoom in and out
    and around on a picture with a crappy machine because you
    are sent only what you need. With high speed access you can
    do quite well as if you were working with it on your own high
    powered machine without lots of storage.
    http://research.microsoft.com/ivm/HD...el_Welcome.htm
    and more interesting links
    http://www.geocities.com/somersetcou...phy_future.htm

    I hope at least one of the previous suggestions worked out for you, as
    this digresses.

  12. Re: Possible to rotate FF on the screen?

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "RF" ...
    >> A curious thing - by accident yeaterday I had a Google map opened and
    >> tried the
    >> right-click and copy. A small square of the map was the result of the
    >> copy, so it seems
    >> like they put the maps together with a bunch of these squares. New to
    >> me :-)

    >
    > That makes it so that entire picture seen does not have to
    > be loaded and it means that people with dial up access can
    > actually use Google Maps and drag the view to reposition
    > the map. Enough to get a feel for what it does, but still
    > too slow. But the technique is also used on the megapixel
    > camera and other things where you can zoom in and out
    > and around on a picture with a crappy machine because you
    > are sent only what you need. With high speed access you can
    > do quite well as if you were working with it on your own high
    > powered machine without lots of storage.
    > http://research.microsoft.com/ivm/HD...el_Welcome.htm
    > and more interesting links
    > http://www.geocities.com/somersetcou...phy_future.htm
    > I hope at least one of the previous suggestions worked out for you, as
    > this digresses.


    Thanks David.

    For the the first link, I used FF 2.2.0.12 and had the message:

    Sorry the HD View Beta is not supported on this platform.
    Must be Internet Explorer or Firefox on Windows XP, Server
    2003, or Vista.

    Next I tried IE 6.0.28 and had:

    Sorry the HD View Beta is not supported on this platform.
    Must be Internet Explorer or Firefox on Windows XP, Server
    2003, or Vista. :-)

    I have a low speed DSL - about 1 Mb/sec.

    The rest sailed over my head but thanks for trying. :-)

    RF.


+ Reply to Thread