changing the interface language - Mozilla

This is a discussion on changing the interface language - Mozilla ; I could get it changed using the information on this page: http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Changi...+language+pack so it is great. What comments I wrote to the site after getting it done, I am reproducing here for you to give a thought to. ------start one ...

  1. changing the interface language

    I could get it changed using the information on this page:
    http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Changi...+language+pack

    so it is great.

    What comments I wrote to the site after getting it done, I am
    reproducing here for you to give a thought to.

    ------start
    one comments about the format of this page. We can click any one of the
    two Yes-s and two No-s. So, out of 4 buttons, we can click only one. So
    we can not answer both the questions at the same time as both are
    mutually exclusive. So, convert each Yes/ No to radio buttons and then a
    sinble submit.

    Then, one problem. this article is in english. I was helping a friend
    through yahoo chat to convert his interface language from French to
    English. And his everything was appearing in French, so what told him
    reading from this article didn't help. Then I told him positions and
    sequence of various menu items like Help, Tools, Addons, Languages, so
    he went from those positional references and could do it.

    So I think this article should be in each interface language.

    but yeah, he could do it. so I think this article is a great help.
    ----------end

    one more thing. I could not find any en-US language pack there in
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....12/win32/xpi/

    there was just en-GB for english. Why so? what if the interface was
    french and someone wants to change to en-US??

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  2. Re: changing the interface language

    On 2/22/08 1:32 PM, _V S Rawat_ spoke thusly:
    > I could get it changed using the information on this page:
    > http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Changi...+language+pack
    >
    > so it is great.
    >
    > What comments I wrote to the site after getting it done, I am
    > reproducing here for you to give a thought to.
    >
    > ------start
    > one comments about the format of this page. We can click any one of the
    > two Yes-s and two No-s. So, out of 4 buttons, we can click only one. So
    > we can not answer both the questions at the same time as both are
    > mutually exclusive. So, convert each Yes/ No to radio buttons and then a
    > sinble submit.
    >
    > Then, one problem. this article is in english. I was helping a friend
    > through yahoo chat to convert his interface language from French to
    > English. And his everything was appearing in French, so what told him
    > reading from this article didn't help. Then I told him positions and
    > sequence of various menu items like Help, Tools, Addons, Languages, so
    > he went from those positional references and could do it.
    >
    > So I think this article should be in each interface language.
    >
    > but yeah, he could do it. so I think this article is a great help.
    > ----------end
    >
    > one more thing. I could not find any en-US language pack there in
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....12/win32/xpi/
    >

    > there was just en-GB for english. Why so? what if the interface was
    > french and someone wants to change to en-US??
    >
    > thanks.

    Hi V S Rawat. Thanks for the feedback.

    The poll questions:
    When I try clicking either yes or no, that specific poll disappears, and
    the other is still available. Did it not work that way for you?

    Regarding en-US.xpi
    en-US.xpi is built in to each localized build. Feel free to create a
    Firefox Support account, and add a note to the article.

    [Cross-post and follow-up set to mozilla.support.planning]
    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: changing the interface language

    On 2/22/08 4:47 PM, _Chris Ilias_ spoke thusly:
    > On 2/22/08 1:32 PM, _V S Rawat_ spoke thusly:
    >> I could get it changed using the information on this page:
    >> http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Changi...+language+pack
    >>
    >> so it is great.
    >>
    >> What comments I wrote to the site after getting it done, I am
    >> reproducing here for you to give a thought to.
    >>
    >> ------start
    >> one comments about the format of this page. We can click any one of
    >> the two Yes-s and two No-s. So, out of 4 buttons, we can click only
    >> one. So we can not answer both the questions at the same time as both
    >> are mutually exclusive. So, convert each Yes/ No to radio buttons and
    >> then a sinble submit.
    >>
    >> Then, one problem. this article is in english. I was helping a friend
    >> through yahoo chat to convert his interface language from French to
    >> English. And his everything was appearing in French, so what told him
    >> reading from this article didn't help. Then I told him positions and
    >> sequence of various menu items like Help, Tools, Addons, Languages, so
    >> he went from those positional references and could do it.
    >>
    >> So I think this article should be in each interface language.
    >>
    >> but yeah, he could do it. so I think this article is a great help.
    >> ----------end
    >>
    >> one more thing. I could not find any en-US language pack there in
    >> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....12/win32/xpi/
    >>

    >> there was just en-GB for english. Why so? what if the interface was
    >> french and someone wants to change to en-US??
    >>
    >> thanks.

    > Hi V S Rawat. Thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > The poll questions:
    > When I try clicking either yes or no, that specific poll disappears, and
    > the other is still available. Did it not work that way for you?
    >
    > Regarding en-US.xpi
    > en-US.xpi is built in to each localized build. Feel free to create a
    > Firefox Support account, and add a note to the article.
    >
    > [Cross-post and follow-up set to mozilla.support.planning]

    Guess I should tell you how. :-)
    See .
    --
    Chris Ilias

  4. Re: changing the interface language

    On 2/23/2008 3:17 AM India Time, _Chris Ilias_ wrote:

    > On 2/22/08 1:32 PM, _V S Rawat_ spoke thusly:
    >> I could get it changed using the information on this page:
    >> http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Changi...+language+pack
    >>
    >> so it is great.
    >>
    >> What comments I wrote to the site after getting it done, I am
    >> reproducing here for you to give a thought to.
    >>
    >> ------start
    >> one comments about the format of this page. We can click any one of the
    >> two Yes-s and two No-s. So, out of 4 buttons, we can click only one. So
    >> we can not answer both the questions at the same time as both are
    >> mutually exclusive. So, convert each Yes/ No to radio buttons and then a
    >> sinble submit.
    >>
    >> Then, one problem. this article is in english. I was helping a friend
    >> through yahoo chat to convert his interface language from French to
    >> English. And his everything was appearing in French, so what told him
    >> reading from this article didn't help. Then I told him positions and
    >> sequence of various menu items like Help, Tools, Addons, Languages, so
    >> he went from those positional references and could do it.
    >>
    >> So I think this article should be in each interface language.
    >>
    >> but yeah, he could do it. so I think this article is a great help.
    >> ----------end
    >>
    >> one more thing. I could not find any en-US language pack there in
    >> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....12/win32/xpi/
    >>

    >> there was just en-GB for english. Why so? what if the interface was
    >> french and someone wants to change to en-US??
    >>
    >> thanks.

    > Hi V S Rawat. Thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > The poll questions:
    > When I try clicking either yes or no, that specific poll disappears, and
    > the other is still available. Did it not work that way for you?

    Hmm.

    I didn't answer the poll, assuming that only one can be answered that
    way, I wanted to answer yest to both.

    > Regarding en-US.xpi
    > en-US.xpi is built in to each localized build. Feel free to create a
    > Firefox Support account, and add a note to the article.

    Actually, it was a 16 year old geek that was chatting with me on net. He
    was always using IE, and one of his site was not opening in his IE
    repetitively. I found link from him and saw that it opens in my ff so I
    told him that hid parents might have put some content lock.

    Geek he is, so before I could suggest to him, he had installed ff that
    he already have, only that it got installed in french. He didn't know
    how he got that but he had the installer.

    I checker around and reached on that article, downloaded the xpi here
    and sent to him on yahoo that he installed in add-on and then did the rest.

    when he reached addons-languages tab, he didn't mention that en-us.xpi
    is appearing there. As I am having only english version, so I was not
    even getting addons-language tab at all and I was not aware that his
    french version might have en-us.xpi and fr.xpi in addons-language tab.
    so I did it all.

    but, it is good that it got done succesfully, and he was all praises for
    me that I could help him do it sitting in a faraway place, guiding
    through chat.

    > [Cross-post and follow-up set to mozilla.support.planning]

  5. Re: changing the interface language

    V S Rawat wrote:
> [...]

    > he already have, only that it got installed in french. He didn't know
    > how he got that but he had the installer.
    >
    > I checker around and reached on that article, downloaded the xpi here
    > and sent to him on yahoo that he installed in add-on and then did the rest.
    >
    > when he reached addons-languages tab, he didn't mention that en-us.xpi
    > is appearing there. As I am having only english version, so I was not
    > even getting addons-language tab at all and I was not aware that his
    > french version might have en-us.xpi and fr.xpi in addons-language tab.
    > so I did it all.
    >
    > but, it is good that it got done succesfully, and he was all praises for
    > me that I could help him do it sitting in a faraway place, guiding
    > through chat.
    >

    >> [Cross-post and follow-up set to mozilla.support.planning]

    A few corrections from my side.

    We never ship more than one language jar per packages build. We never
    ship a language pack, either. (The zip that contains the jar, for
    reference, plus install.rdf and ab-CD.manifest).

    The add-ons manager doesn't provide any means to switch languages, it
    only supports updating, disabling, and uninstalling.

    Unless you want to test something, or use two languages in parallel, I
    would generically suggest to use the installer/package for your
    language. That get's you the full monty (not all localizable files are
    in the language pack, ie. search, bookmarks, and a few minor ones).

    Axel

+ Reply to Thread