Microsoft update woes... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Microsoft update woes... - Mozilla ; Since I (or rather my damned computer) updated itself with the latest MS updates I have a thick grey bar at the bottom of the firefox browser which defies removal... Clues as to how to get rid of it anyone? ...

  1. Microsoft update woes...

    Since I (or rather my damned computer) updated itself with the latest
    MS updates I have a thick grey bar at the bottom of the firefox browser
    which defies removal...

    Clues as to how to get rid of it anyone?

    TTFN
    Ab

  2. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  3. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:32:34 +0000, in message ,
    > Abacus wrote:
    >
    >> Since I (or rather my damned computer) updated itself with the latest
    >> MS updates I have a thick grey bar at the bottom of the firefox browser
    >> which defies removal...
    >>
    >> Clues as to how to get rid of it anyone?

    > See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

    No Tried those tips already - the only extensions I use are the brit-eng
    dictionary and talkback and they are the latest versions.

    TTFN
    Ab

  4. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    "Abacus" wrote in message news:hb-dnZXSmoFW1C7anZ2dnUVZ_uKpnZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:32:34 +0000, in message ,
    >> Abacus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I (or rather my damned computer) updated itself with the latest
    >>> MS updates I have a thick grey bar at the bottom of the firefox browser
    >>> which defies removal...
    >>>
    >>> Clues as to how to get rid of it anyone?

    >> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

    > No Tried those tips already - the only extensions I use are the brit-eng
    > dictionary and talkback and they are the latest versions.
    >
    > TTFN
    > Ab

    I thought having nothing in the Personal Bookmarks was one
    of the items but I don't see that listed, would you check if
    you have bookmarks in your personal bookmarks (toolbar).

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  5. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    Abacus wrote:
    > Since I (or rather my damned computer) updated itself with the latest
    > MS updates I have a thick grey bar at the bottom of the firefox browser
    > which defies removal...
    >
    > Clues as to how to get rid of it anyone?
    >
    > TTFN
    > Ab

    For the future, go to Services and turn off automatic updates.

    Then, when you want to update windows, go to services and
    turn it back on. Then update - I generally only install
    what they refer to as "critical" updates and even then, if
    they don't apply to anything I have installed or use, I
    don't always install them.

    This will give you a lot more control over what MS decides
    to put on your machine. Also, don't update windows on the
    Tuesday the patches come out, wait a few days and make sure
    they didn't mess anything up.

    Don't forget to turn off automatic updates when you're done.

    Louise

  6. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Abacus" wrote in message news:hb-dnZXSmoFW1C7anZ2dnUVZ_uKpnZ2d@mozilla.org...
    >> Ralph Fox wrote:

    >>> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

    >> No Tried those tips already - the only extensions I use are the brit-eng
    >> dictionary and talkback and they are the latest versions.
    >>
    >> TTFN
    >> Ab

    > I thought having nothing in the Personal Bookmarks was one
    > of the items but I don't see that listed, would you check if
    > you have bookmarks in your personal bookmarks (toolbar).

    Yes I have a dozen items in personal bookmarks.

  7. Re: Microsoft update woes...

    Abacus wrote:
    > David McRitchie wrote:

    >>> No Tried those tips already - the only extensions I use are the brit-eng
    >>> dictionary and talkback and they are the latest versions.
    >>>
    >>> TTFN
    >>> Ab

    >> I thought having nothing in the Personal Bookmarks was one
    >> of the items but I don't see that listed, would you check if
    >> you have bookmarks in your personal bookmarks (toolbar).
    >>

    > Yes I have a dozen items in personal bookmarks.

    Got the problem - went to the extensions directory and deleted all the
    folders in it (there were some unused extensions still in it) Restarted
    firefox and the bar has gone.

+ Reply to Thread