Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser - Mozilla ; I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art. But this time, when I went here: http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491 and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the larger image opened in a popup window (as it ...

  1. Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art.

    But this time, when I went here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the larger
    image opened in a popup window (as it always does), except that when I
    close the popup window (with the close button or the X in the window
    frame), Firefox completely disappears. When I restart, Session Restore
    says my last session crashed. This has never happened before.

    Any ideas what's going on?

    Firefox 2.0.0.9 - Windows XP. I keep 15 tabs open pretty much all the
    time. Relevant Extensions could be: Tab Mix Plus, Cookie Safe and Flash
    Block (although there is no flash on the main page or popup). I have
    made no recent upgrades

    And like I said, I've been doing this for months to get CD cover art and
    never had this problem before.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On 2/10/2008 4:12 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art.
    >
    > But this time, when I went here:
    > http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    > and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the larger
    > image opened in a popup window (as it always does), except that when I
    > close the popup window (with the close button or the X in the window
    > frame), Firefox completely disappears. When I restart, Session Restore
    > says my last session crashed. This has never happened before.
    > Any ideas what's going on?
    >
    > Firefox 2.0.0.9 - Windows XP. I keep 15 tabs open pretty much all the
    > time. Relevant Extensions could be: Tab Mix Plus, Cookie Safe and Flash
    > Block (although there is no flash on the main page or popup). I have
    > made no recent upgrades
    >
    > And like I said, I've been doing this for months to get CD cover art and
    > never had this problem before.

    No problems here. I have TMP set to open popups in tabs.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 2/10/2008 4:12 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art.
    >>
    >> But this time, when I went here:
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    >> and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the larger
    >> image opened in a popup window (as it always does), except that when I
    >> close the popup window (with the close button or the X in the window
    >> frame), Firefox completely disappears. When I restart, Session Restore
    >> says my last session crashed. This has never happened before.
    >> Any ideas what's going on?
    >>
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.9 - Windows XP. I keep 15 tabs open pretty much all the
    >> time. Relevant Extensions could be: Tab Mix Plus, Cookie Safe and Flash
    >> Block (although there is no flash on the main page or popup). I have
    >> made no recent upgrades
    >>
    >> And like I said, I've been doing this for months to get CD cover art and
    >> never had this problem before.
    >>

    > No problems here. I have TMP set to open popups in tabs.

    This happened to me again. I went here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Unforgiven-Bev.../dp/0790729644

    I clicked on "See larger Image" (under the DVD cover art) and a popup
    window opened (the behavior I want). However, when I clicked on the X
    to close that popup Window - Firefox went completely away. The main
    window under it (with several other open tabs) closed, ... but not
    gracefully. When I reopened Firefox, session manager said my last
    session had crashed. I elected to have it restored. This time I got my
    main window and open tabs back, plus another full size window (not a
    popup) with the larger image in it. When I closed that "other" browser
    window, the main window went with it again - CrAsH!.

    This is extremely aggravating. I sure would like to know why I can not
    safely close a popup window without fear of crashing the main browser
    window. It hasn't happen with other popup windows - only these at Amazon.

    Any ideas why this would happen?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  4. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On 3/13/2008 9:43 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 2/10/2008 4:12 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art.
    >>>
    >>> But this time, when I went here:
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    >>> and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the
    >>> larger image opened in a popup window (as it always does), except
    >>> that when I close the popup window (with the close button or the X in
    >>> the window frame), Firefox completely disappears. When I restart,
    >>> Session Restore says my last session crashed. This has never
    >>> happened before.
    >>> Any ideas what's going on?
    >>>
    >>> Firefox 2.0.0.9 - Windows XP. I keep 15 tabs open pretty much all
    >>> the time. Relevant Extensions could be: Tab Mix Plus, Cookie Safe
    >>> and Flash Block (although there is no flash on the main page or
    >>> popup). I have made no recent upgrades
    >>>
    >>> And like I said, I've been doing this for months to get CD cover art
    >>> and never had this problem before.
    >>>

    >> No problems here. I have TMP set to open popups in tabs.
    >>

    > This happened to me again. I went here:
    > http://www.amazon.com/Unforgiven-Bev.../dp/0790729644
    >
    > I clicked on "See larger Image" (under the DVD cover art) and a popup
    > window opened (the behavior I want). However, when I clicked on the X
    > to close that popup Window - Firefox went completely away. The main
    > window under it (with several other open tabs) closed, ... but not
    > gracefully. When I reopened Firefox, session manager said my last
    > session had crashed. I elected to have it restored. This time I got my
    > main window and open tabs back, plus another full size window (not a
    > popup) with the larger image in it. When I closed that "other" browser
    > window, the main window went with it again - CrAsH!.
    >
    > This is extremely aggravating. I sure would like to know why I can not
    > safely close a popup window without fear of crashing the main browser
    > window. It hasn't happen with other popup windows - only these at Amazon.
    >
    > Any ideas why this would happen?

    Works OK here in both 2.0.0.12 and FF3 B4 with half a dozen tabs open.
    Try disabling all extensions except TMP.

    --
    Irwin

  5. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On Mar 13, 11:43 pm, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > > On 2/10/2008 4:12 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:

    > >> I do this a lot to get/look at CD cover art.

    > >> But this time, when I went here:
    > >>http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    > >> and clicked on ... See larger image (under the cover image), the larger
    > >> image opened in a popup window (as it always does), except that when I
    > >> close the popup window (with the close button or the X in the window
    > >> frame), Firefox completely disappears. When I restart, Session Restore
    > >> says my last session crashed. This has never happened before.
    > >> Any ideas what's going on?

    > >> Firefox 2.0.0.9 - Windows XP. I keep 15 tabs open pretty much all the
    > >> time. Relevant Extensions could be: Tab Mix Plus, Cookie Safe and Flash
    > >> Block (although there is no flash on the main page or popup). I have
    > >> made no recent upgrades

    > >> And like I said, I've been doing this for months to get CD cover art and
    > >> never had this problem before.

    > > No problems here. I have TMP set to open popups in tabs.

    > This happened to me again. I went here:http://www.amazon.com/Unforgiven-Bev.../dp/0790729644
    >
    > I clicked on "See larger Image" (under the DVD cover art) and a popup
    > window opened (the behavior I want). However, when I clicked on the X
    > to close that popup Window - Firefox went completely away. The main
    > window under it (with several other open tabs) closed, ... but not
    > gracefully. When I reopened Firefox, session manager said my last
    > session had crashed. I elected to have it restored. This time I got my
    > main window and open tabs back, plus another full size window (not a
    > popup) with the larger image in it. When I closed that "other" browser
    > window, the main window went with it again - CrAsH!.
    >
    > This is extremely aggravating. I sure would like to know why I can not
    > safely close a popup window without fear of crashing the main browser
    > window. It hasn't happen with other popup windows - only these at Amazon.
    >
    > Any ideas why this would happen?
    >
    > --
    > *****************************
    > Chuck Anderson * Boulder, CO
    > http://www.CycleTourist.com
    > Nothing he's got he really needs
    > Twenty first century schizoid man.
    > ***********************************

    Hello my name is Peggy and I just got off the phone with Microsoft.
    My IE kept crashing every time I closed a popup or any window. This
    is the fix they gave me and it fixed my problem. Open IE, go to Tools
    then Options. Click on Advanced, then Browsing, go to 9th line and
    uncheck enable 3rd party browser box, apply, ok, exit. Hope this
    helps you too.

  6. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 3/13/2008 9:43 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> No problems here. I have TMP set to open popups in tabs.
    >>>

    >> This happened to me again. I went here:
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Unforgiven-Bev.../dp/0790729644
    >>
    >> I clicked on "See larger Image" (under the DVD cover art) and a popup
    >> window opened (the behavior I want). However, when I clicked on the X
    >> to close that popup Window - Firefox went completely away. The main
    >> window under it (with several other open tabs) closed, ... but not
    >> gracefully. When I reopened Firefox, session manager said my last
    >> session had crashed. I elected to have it restored. This time I got my
    >> main window and open tabs back, plus another full size window (not a
    >> popup) with the larger image in it. When I closed that "other" browser
    >> window, the main window went with it again - CrAsH!.
    >>
    >> This is extremely aggravating. I sure would like to know why I can not
    >> safely close a popup window without fear of crashing the main browser
    >> window. It hasn't happen with other popup windows - only these at Amazon.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this would happen?
    >>

    > Works OK here in both 2.0.0.12 and FF3 B4 with half a dozen tabs open.
    > Try disabling all extensions except TMP.

    Okay, I finally took some time (been at this over an hour now) and tried
    some trouble shooting.

    I have done all of these things separately.
    I upgraded to 2.0.0.14. .... no change.
    I have disabled ALL extensions. .... no change.
    I have created a new empty profile. ..... no change
    I have started Firefox in Safe Mode. ...... no change
    No matter what I try, if I go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-J.../dp/6304708491
    And then click on the DVD cover, I get a popup window. When I close that
    window (via Close window button or the X in the window frame) ....
    poof! Firefox closes.

    I have even moved several files out of the profile (history,
    formhistory, cookies, url2classifier2, ....). What are the files I
    should try deleting (that will be rebuilt upon a restart)?

    I have even created a new profile for Firefox 1.5, which I've kept on my
    hard drive and I get the same result with it.

    (Note:
    Firefox 2.0 is in - C:/Program Files/Firefox
    Firefox 1.5 is in - C:/Program Files/Firefox1.5)

    Not all popup windows do this to me. I was motivated to test today when
    I closed a "View Source" window (which I do A LOT, as I develop web
    sites/applications.) and it did the same thing. I open and close popup
    windows all the time and use View Source A LOT and pretty much never
    have this problem.

    This above Amazon page, though, always crashes.

    Note, in the time since this problem first occurred, I have done a
    thorough virus scan (finding nothing ... as always) and run Ad-Aware
    (also finding nothing but tracking cookies .... as always .... I am a
    cautious, experienced Internet user) in preparation for upgrading to the
    latest SP2 for Windows XP (includes all recent updates), .... so I
    really do not think it something outside of Firefox.

    I need to make this stop happening. It is, as you can imagine, very
    frustrating.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  7. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said
    > I have done all of these things separately. I upgraded to 2.0.0.14. .... no change.
    > I have disabled ALL extensions. .... no change.
    > I have created a new empty profile. ..... no change

    If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then it
    is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the following:

    1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]

    --
    Irwin

  8. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said
    >
    >> I have done all of these things separately. I upgraded to 2.0.0.14. .... no change.
    >> I have disabled ALL extensions. .... no change.
    >> I have created a new empty profile. ..... no change
    >>

    > If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then it
    > is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the following:
    >
    > 1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    > 2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    > 2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]

    I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I don't
    need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder to
    a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    Profile folder (after copying my current profile).

    I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty profile)
    - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and .......
    CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not amused.

    I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no problem
    there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)

    (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one FF
    just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and sessions seem
    to be intact.)

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  9. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 5/1/2008 8:38 PM :
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said
    >>
    >>> I have done all of these things separately. I upgraded to 2.0.0.14.
    >>> .... no change.
    >>> I have disabled ALL extensions. .... no change.
    >>> I have created a new empty profile. ..... no change
    >>>

    >> If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then
    >> it is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> 1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    >> 2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    >> 2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]
    >>

    > I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    > forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I
    > don't need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    > problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder
    > to a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    > Profile folder (after copying my current profile).
    > I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty
    > profile) - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and
    > ....... CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not
    > amused.
    >
    > I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no
    > problem there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)
    >
    > (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one
    > FF just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and sessions
    > seem to be intact.)

    I took a look at the site and the p[opup window works correctly for me,
    it only closes it's self, not Fx. Just FTR, there are lots of CSS
    sytntax errors for the page as recorded in the Warning tab of the Error
    Console. Do You have javascript enabled. The page uses several scripts
    that are declared to be JS 1.1 compliant.

    --
    Ron K.

  10. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 5/1/2008 8:38 PM :
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said

    >>> If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then
    >>> it is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the
    >>> following:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    >>> 2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    >>> 2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]
    >>>

    >> I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    >> forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I
    >> don't need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    >> problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder
    >> to a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    >> Profile folder (after copying my current profile).
    >> I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty
    >> profile) - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and
    >> ....... CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not
    >> amused.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no
    >> problem there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)
    >>
    >> (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one
    >> FF just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and sessions
    >> seem to be intact.)
    >>

    > I took a look at the site and the popup window works correctly for me,
    > it only closes it's self, not Fx. Just FTR, there are lots of CSS
    > sytntax errors for the page as recorded in the Warning tab of the Error
    > Console.

    Typical of many sites. I noticed them in the Opera error console (I
    have it set to pop open on errors) looks like a lot of IE proprietary
    stuff, for the most part.

    > Do You have javascript enabled. The page uses several scripts
    > that are declared to be JS 1.1 compliant.

    Yes ..... I have JS enabled.

    But okay ..... I just disabled JS and opened it into a new tab. Closing
    the tab did no harm. But when I open it into a new window (full new
    browser window) .... closing that browser window closed the main window
    too (Cr@sh!). So it's not the JavaScript.

    And now .... if I close the tab in that new window, before closing the
    window, then it does not crash when I close the window.

    ....... I'm sooOooOOoOoo confused. I'm really stymied by this one. I
    can open lots of popup windows and never get this problem. I've been
    viewing source of my normally open tabs now and closing with no
    problem. There must have been something about the page I viewed the
    source for earlier that made it crash. I view source all of the time
    when debugging my own pages.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  11. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On 5/1/2008 5:38 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said
    >>
    >>> I have done all of these things separately. I upgraded to 2.0.0.14.
    >>> .... no change.
    >>> I have disabled ALL extensions. .... no change.
    >>> I have created a new empty profile. ..... no change
    >>>

    >> If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then it
    >> is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    >> 2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    >> 2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]
    >>

    > I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    > forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I don't
    > need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    > problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder to
    > a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    > Profile folder (after copying my current profile).
    > I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty profile)
    > - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and .......
    > CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not amused.
    >
    > I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no problem
    > there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)
    >
    > (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one FF
    > just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and sessions seem
    > to be intact.)

    You didn't say that you deleted the program folder before reinstalling.

    --
    Irwin

  12. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 5/1/2008 5:38 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 5/1/2008 Chuck Anderson said

    >>> If you created a new profile and still experience the problem, then it
    >>> is either FF or Windows causing the grief. You might try the following:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Uninstall FF2.x and delete the program folder.
    >>> 2. Download and install FF2.0.0.14. [you probaly want to download
    >>> 2.0.0.14 before uninstalling]
    >>>

    >> I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    >> forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I don't
    >> need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    >> problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder to
    >> a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    >> Profile folder (after copying my current profile).
    >> I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty profile)
    >> - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and .......
    >> CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not amused.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no problem
    >> there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)
    >>
    >> (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one FF
    >> just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and sessions seem
    >> to be intact.)
    >>

    > You didn't say that you deleted the program folder before reinstalling.

    Yes, I noticed after posting that I didn't mention that. But .... I
    deleted everything in it.

    C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox existed, but was empty when I reinstalled.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  13. Re: Closing Popup Window closes (crashes?) browser

    On 5/3/2008 1:11 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> I'm ahead of you. I kept at it. I downloaded 2.0.0.14 (and I almost
    >>> forgot to do that before uninstalling ô¿Ô¬). I uninstalled 1.5 (I
    >>> don't need it for anything anymore, especially since it has the same
    >>> problem). Then I uninstalled 2.0 (after copying the plugins folder
    >>> to a temp folder). I rebooted my PC to be sure. I even deleted the
    >>> Profile folder (after copying my current profile).
    >>> I installed 2.0.0.14, let the install start Firefox (new empty
    >>> profile) - went to the above page, opened the popup, closed it and
    >>> ....... CrAsH!@*$^! After all that careful work, I'm certainly not
    >>> amused.
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea what it could be now. (Just checked IE6 .... no
    >>> problem there. Gave Opera a try as well; no problem there, either.)
    >>>
    >>> (Thankfully, when I copied my old profile back - keeping the new one
    >>> FF just made, too - all of my settings, history, cookies, and
    >>> sessions seem to be intact.)
    >>>

    >> You didn't say that you deleted the program folder before reinstalling.
    >>

    > Yes, I noticed after posting that I didn't mention that. But .... I
    > deleted everything in it.
    > C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox existed, but was empty when I reinstalled.

    You sure have a weirdo! I'm out of ideas.

    --
    Irwin