DB Error - Mozilla

This is a discussion on DB Error - Mozilla ; Please help me!!! I've tried everything from clearing my private data to redownloading/installing Firefox, but I'm still getting this awful series of errors. It says DB Error in FaviconInUpdate.............. Or something very like that followed by huge file names or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: DB Error

  1. DB Error

    Please help me!!! I've tried everything from clearing my private data
    to redownloading/installing Firefox, but I'm still getting this awful
    series of errors. It says DB Error in FaviconInUpdate..............
    Or something very like that followed by huge file names or locations
    or something. I'm not sure what they are. But it happens every time
    I try to go from one webpage to another. I have no idea what is
    happening and would appreciate some help from someone who is more tech
    savvy than I am. It's really, really annoying! If you have run into
    this or now a way to fix it, please contact me. Thanks!

    PS - I use Mac OSX Tiger on a Powerbook G4. I have the most recent
    Firefox and the problem tends to turn up first in Facebook (whom I
    have also contacted regarding this problem, but have not yet gotten a
    response).

  2. Re: DB Error

    I'm sorry... I need to correct the error message... It's DB Error in
    FaviconUpdateIcon(.................)..........

  3. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > I'm sorry... I need to correct the error message... It's DB Error in
    > FaviconUpdateIcon(.................)..........


    Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode, which will disable all your extensions:

    In Finder, Go>>Utilities

    Select Terminal

    Type in or copy/paste the following:

    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-mode

    Note that if you installed Firefox somewhere other then Applications,
    the path must reflect that.

    Do you get the same error messages?

    Lee

  4. Re: DB Error

    Lee -

    Thank you so much for your help. I did what you suggested and turned
    off all the add-ons. Though the error did normally take some time to
    start cropping up, since it seemed to be working smoothly, I
    reactivated the ones I use at work because I haven't had any problems
    with them there. I'm wondering now if I should just start trying to
    turn the others on one by one to see which one causes the error and
    get rid of it? Or might there be a better way to go about this? I'm
    really not sure what was causing this... Any further suggestions would
    be much appreciated. Again, thanks so very much. I was so confused
    and going completely nuts when it was doing all this weirdness!


  5. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > Lee -
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help. I did what you suggested and turned
    > off all the add-ons. Though the error did normally take some time to
    > start cropping up, since it seemed to be working smoothly, I
    > reactivated the ones I use at work because I haven't had any problems
    > with them there. I'm wondering now if I should just start trying to
    > turn the others on one by one to see which one causes the error and
    > get rid of it? Or might there be a better way to go about this? I'm
    > really not sure what was causing this... Any further suggestions would
    > be much appreciated. Again, thanks so very much. I was so confused
    > and going completely nuts when it was doing all this weirdness!
    >


    Unfortunately, about all you can do is reenable your extensions one by
    one, and test to see which one is causing the problem.

    You could list your extensions here, to see if anyone finds one that is
    causing a problem. Or look here for a list of extensions that have
    caused problems for others:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    Lee

  6. Re: DB Error

    Oh goodie... It's started up again... So it has to be one of the very
    few active add-ons I have going right now... That should help me
    eliminate the trouble one... I will weed this bugger out!!! It has to
    be one of the extensions... I should be able to figure this out
    fairly easily since I only had five or six in use at this time... And
    I just deactivated three of those... Wish me good luck!

    Shar


  7. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > Oh goodie... It's started up again... So it has to be one of the very
    > few active add-ons I have going right now... That should help me
    > eliminate the trouble one... I will weed this bugger out!!! It has to
    > be one of the extensions... I should be able to figure this out
    > fairly easily since I only had five or six in use at this time... And
    > I just deactivated three of those... Wish me good luck!
    >
    > Shar
    >


    Good luck!!

    On your next post, could you quote a little relevant text, so i can
    figure out what you are talking about a little more quickly? I look at
    a lot of support threads, and it can be hard to keep them all sorted.

    Again, perhaps you could list the extensions you have on now. Someone
    may have some insight into why they are misbehaving.

    Lee

  8. Re: DB Error

    DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...

    Extensions I have:
    Chipmarks
    Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    MediaWrap (deactivated)
    PDF Download
    Tab Mix Plus
    TalkBack (deactivated)
    Xinha Here! (deactivated)

    Themes
    CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    FireFox Default (in use?)
    Glowyblue (not in use)
    Glowywine (not in use)
    Halloween (not in use)
    Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    MidnightFox (not in use)
    OldFactory Black (not in use)
    Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)

    That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    previous trouble?

  9. Re: DB Error

    DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...

    Extensions I have:
    Chipmarks
    Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    MediaWrap (deactivated)
    PDF Download
    Tab Mix Plus
    TalkBack (deactivated)
    Xinha Here! (deactivated)

    Themes
    CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    FireFox Default (in use?)
    Glowyblue (not in use)
    Glowywine (not in use)
    Halloween (not in use)
    Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    MidnightFox (not in use)
    OldFactory Black (not in use)
    Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)

    That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    previous trouble?

  10. Re: DB Error

    The date and time was 1/8/2008 7:24 PM, and on a whim, Shard Rose
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...
    >
    > Extensions I have:
    > Chipmarks
    > Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    > DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    > Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    > FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    > MediaWrap (deactivated)
    > PDF Download
    > Tab Mix Plus
    > TalkBack (deactivated)
    > Xinha Here! (deactivated)
    >
    > Themes
    > CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    > FireFox Default (in use?)
    > Glowyblue (not in use)
    > Glowywine (not in use)
    > Halloween (not in use)
    > Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    > MidnightFox (not in use)
    > OldFactory Black (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)
    >
    > That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    > previous trouble?


    Hi Shard,

    I use Colorful tabs & Tab Mix Plus without any issues. Maybe you can
    scratch them off your list (unless another extension is causing a conflict).

    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  11. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...
    >
    > Extensions I have:
    > Chipmarks
    > Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    > DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    > Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    > FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    > MediaWrap (deactivated)
    > PDF Download
    > Tab Mix Plus
    > TalkBack (deactivated)
    > Xinha Here! (deactivated)
    >
    > Themes
    > CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    > FireFox Default (in use?)
    > Glowyblue (not in use)
    > Glowywine (not in use)
    > Halloween (not in use)
    > Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    > MidnightFox (not in use)
    > OldFactory Black (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)
    >
    > That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    > previous trouble?


    Themes should not be an issue, though since I have never had the
    problem, I can't be 100% sure.

    Dom Inspector and Talkback come as part of the installation, they should
    not be an issue. I've never used Fasterfox, but from what I ahve read
    its probably not worth the trouble of using it.

    We have Tab Mix Plus and PDF download in common, so its probably not
    them. The others I really don't know. They seem not to be on the list
    of known problem extensions:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    We will see if anyone else can contribute.

    Lee

  12. Re: DB Error

    DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...

    Extensions I have:
    Chipmarks
    Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    MediaWrap (deactivated)
    PDF Download
    Tab Mix Plus
    TalkBack (deactivated)
    Xinha Here! (deactivated)

    Themes
    CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    FireFox Default (in use?)
    Glowyblue (not in use)
    Glowywine (not in use)
    Halloween (not in use)
    Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    MidnightFox (not in use)
    OldFactory Black (not in use)
    Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)

    That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    previous trouble?

  13. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...
    >
    > Extensions I have:
    > Chipmarks
    > Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    > DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    > Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    > FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    > MediaWrap (deactivated)
    > PDF Download
    > Tab Mix Plus
    > TalkBack (deactivated)
    > Xinha Here! (deactivated)
    >
    > Themes
    > CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    > FireFox Default (in use?)
    > Glowyblue (not in use)
    > Glowywine (not in use)
    > Halloween (not in use)
    > Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    > MidnightFox (not in use)
    > OldFactory Black (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    > Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)
    >
    > That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    > previous trouble?


    Shard, there is no need to keep reposting. Google groups has a delay in
    showing posts, we have seen this three times now.

    Lee

  14. Re: DB Error

    DB Error in FaviconUpdateIcon(http:// - various urls...)...

    Extensions I have:
    Chipmarks
    Colorful Tabs (deactivated) - would like to use
    DOM Inspector (deactivated)
    Download Statusbar (deactivated) - would like to use
    FasterFox (deactivated) - would like to use
    MediaWrap (deactivated)
    PDF Download
    Tab Mix Plus
    TalkBack (deactivated)
    Xinha Here! (deactivated)

    Themes
    CrystalFox Cute (not in use)
    FireFox Default (in use?)
    Glowyblue (not in use)
    Glowywine (not in use)
    Halloween (not in use)
    Metal Lion - Brushed Ice (not in use)
    MidnightFox (not in use)
    OldFactory Black (not in use)
    Red Cats - Blue Flavor (not in use)
    Red Cats - Green Flavor (not in use)

    That's all of them. Any of them sound familiar as a source of
    previous trouble?

  15. Re: DB Error

    I'm not reposting this... I don't know what's going on.... I just
    noticed it doing this too.... I have no idea what's happening now...

  16. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > I'm not reposting this... I don't know what's going on.... I just
    > noticed it doing this too.... I have no idea what's happening now...


    Well a fourth iteration of your extensions post just appeared. Am I
    correct that you are using Google Groups? Using an actual newsreader and
    setting up an account with new.mozilla.org would get rid of the
    sometimes bizarre behavior of Google Groups. Thunderbird works fine.

    What do you use for email?

    Lee

  17. Re: DB Error

    Sorry about the delay... I use lots of e-mails... For this, I'm using
    my gmail... I do use Thunderbird at work but I'm not sure how to set
    this up to go to that and allow me to respond... So which ever way is
    the default is probably what I'm using. And that error has started to
    show up again... Just a little bit ago. So the only add on I am
    currently using is Chipmarks. I have no idea why this keeps
    happening, but it always takes a little while before it starts up...
    Sometimes it's an hour, sometimes a day, sometimes longer. Then the
    error crops up and I have to crash shut down my browser in order to
    get rid of it. I don't understand what's going on here. I'm sorry
    that I keep pestering you about this, but since it is completely
    beyond my very limited skills in programming, you guys are my only
    recourse. I hope you can figure it out. *sigh*

    Sharra

  18. Re: DB Error

    Shard Rose wrote:
    > Sorry about the delay... I use lots of e-mails... For this, I'm using
    > my gmail... I do use Thunderbird at work but I'm not sure how to set
    > this up to go to that and allow me to respond... So which ever way is
    > the default is probably what I'm using. And that error has started to
    > show up again... Just a little bit ago. So the only add on I am
    > currently using is Chipmarks. I have no idea why this keeps
    > happening, but it always takes a little while before it starts up...
    > Sometimes it's an hour, sometimes a day, sometimes longer. Then the
    > error crops up and I have to crash shut down my browser in order to
    > get rid of it. I don't understand what's going on here. I'm sorry
    > that I keep pestering you about this, but since it is completely
    > beyond my very limited skills in programming, you guys are my only
    > recourse. I hope you can figure it out. *sigh*
    >
    > Sharra


    Try clicking on one of the links below, using TB, it should set up the
    account for you at news.mozilla.org:

    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.thunderbird
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.other
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.mozilla-suite
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.seamonkey
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.camino

+ Reply to Thread