Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems - Mozilla ; To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox 2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious to some. Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java ...

  1. Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox
    2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious
    to some.
    Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java script so
    Java must be enabled, but one more setting must be made to get the
    images to display.
    Go To:

    Tools
    Content
    be sure to check Enable Javascript and then click on
    the advanced button and on the
    "Basic" tab then "Permissions" tab be sure that
    "Change Images" is checked.
    I have seen others say that cookies must be allowed as well. I am not
    sure about that but I do have them allowed for these sites.

    I hope this helps someone.

    Charles

  2. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    On 5/12/2007 10:05, ceb wrote:

    > To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox
    > 2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious
    > to some.
    > Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java script so
    > Java must be enabled, but one more setting must be made to get the
    > images to display.
    > Go To:
    >
    > Tools
    > Content
    > be sure to check Enable Javascript and then click on
    > the advanced button and on the
    > "Basic" tab then "Permissions" tab be sure that
    > "Change Images" is checked.
    > I have seen others say that cookies must be allowed as well. I am not
    > sure about that but I do have them allowed for these sites.
    >
    > I hope this helps someone.
    >
    > Charles

    Java and Javascript are not the same thing.

    --
    John Liebson

  3. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    On Dec 5, 11:28 am, John Liebson wrote:
    > On 5/12/2007 10:05, ceb wrote:
    >

    > > To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox
    > > 2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious
    > > to some.
    > > Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java script so
    > > Java must be enabled, but one more setting must be made to get the
    > > images to display.
    > > Go To:

    > > Tools
    > > Content
    > > be sure to check Enable Javascript and then click on
    > > the advanced button and on the
    > > "Basic" tab then "Permissions" tab be sure that
    > > "Change Images" is checked.
    > > I have seen others say that cookies must be allowed as well. I am not
    > > sure about that but I do have them allowed for these sites.

    > > I hope this helps someone.

    > > Charles

    > Java and Javascript are not the same thing.
    >
    > --
    > John Liebson

    I think it was fairly clear from my message what my intent was.

  4. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    On 12/5/2007 12:05 PM eastern, ceb wrote:

    > then click on the advanced button and on the "Basic" tab then
    > "Permissions" tab be sure that "Change Images" is checked.

    Hi, Charles - What version are you using? Those choices don't exist in
    2.0.0.11, and I don't think they have existed for some time.
    CTinFL

  5. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    On Dec 5, 11:53 am, Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 12/5/2007 12:05 PM eastern, ceb wrote:
    >
    > > then click on the advanced button and on the "Basic" tab then
    > > "Permissions" tab be sure that "Change Images" is checked.

    > Hi, Charles - What version are you using? Those choices don't exist in
    > 2.0.0.11, and I don't think they have existed for some time.
    > CTinFL

    I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11so if you are running the same version
    then the choices should be there.
    Clicking the advanced button brings up a script control window and
    from there you should select the basic tab and then the permissions
    tab then check Change images.

  6. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    ceb wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 11:28 am, John Liebson wrote:
    >> On 5/12/2007 10:05, ceb wrote:
    >>

    >>> To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox
    >>> 2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious
    >>> to some.
    >>> Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java script so
    >>> Java must be enabled, but one more setting must be made to get the
    >>> images to display.
    >>> Go To:
    >>> Tools
    >>> Content
    >>> be sure to check Enable Javascript and then click on
    >>> the advanced button and on the
    >>> "Basic" tab then "Permissions" tab be sure that
    >>> "Change Images" is checked.
    >>> I have seen others say that cookies must be allowed as well. I am not
    >>> sure about that but I do have them allowed for these sites.
    >>> I hope this helps someone.
    >>> Charles

    >> Java and Javascript are not the same thing.
    >>

    > I think it was fairly clear from my message what my intent was.

    No, not really. You said "Google Maps both load the images
    through a Java script so Java must be enabled." Then you
    said: "be sure to check Enable Javascript." Java and
    javascript are to differnt programming languages. They have
    nothing in common except for the word java.

    Warning: Private emails to me may become public

    Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
    Newsgroups

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    ceb wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 11:53 am, Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 12/5/2007 12:05 PM eastern, ceb wrote:
    >>
    >>> then click on the advanced button and on the "Basic" tab then
    >>> "Permissions" tab be sure that "Change Images" is checked.

    >> Hi, Charles - What version are you using? Those choices don't exist in
    >> 2.0.0.11, and I don't think they have existed for some time.
    >> CTinFL

    > I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11so if you are running the same version
    > then the choices should be there.
    > Clicking the advanced button brings up a script control window and
    > from there you should select the basic tab and then the permissions
    > tab then check Change images.

    I can't find it in mine either. You must have some
    extension that adds it.

    Anyways, the option you want is:

    dom.disable_image_src_set

    within the config editor, and it should be set to true.

    Warning: Private emails to me may become public

    Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
    Newsgroups, as its not contributing to the developement of
    the Mozilla Project

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    On 12/5/2007 1:03 PM eastern, ceb wrote:

    > On Dec 5, 11:53 am, Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 12/5/2007 12:05 PM eastern, ceb wrote:
    >>
    >> > then click on the advanced button and on the "Basic" tab then
    >> > "Permissions" tab be sure that "Change Images" is checked.

    >> Hi, Charles - What version are you using? Those choices don't exist in
    >> 2.0.0.11, and I don't think they have existed for some time.
    >> CTinFL

    > I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11so if you are running the same version
    > then the choices should be there.
    > Clicking the advanced button brings up a script control window and
    > from there you should select the basic tab and then the permissions
    > tab then check Change images.

    Weird - Here's what I see with 2.0.0.11 for tools, options, content:

    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7862/ff2re8.jpg

    Clicking advanced gives this and only this:

    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4978/ff3zq5.jpg

    CTinFL

  9. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    ceb wrote:
    > To all who have had trouble with maps displaying correctly in Firefox
    > 2.xx I have found one setting that must be set that may not be obvious
    > to some.
    > Mapquest and Google Maps both load the images through a Java script so
    > Java must be enabled, but one more setting must be made to get the
    > images to display.
    > Go To:
    >
    > Tools
    > Content
    > be sure to check Enable Javascript and then click on
    > the advanced button and on the
    > "Basic" tab then "Permissions" tab be sure that
    > "Change Images" is checked.
    > I have seen others say that cookies must be allowed as well. I am not
    > sure about that but I do have them allowed for these sites.
    >
    > I hope this helps someone.
    >
    > Charles

    I have also found that Google maps really doesn't like pipelining.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  10. Re: Mapquest and Google Maps map display problems

    Another item that may be worth checking:

    in the address bar, type:

    about:config

    (no http, etc)

    Scroll down the options, looking for "dom.disable_image_src_set"

    This needs to be set to "false". If it is currently "true", simply
    double click the entry and restart firefox. This solved my issue.

    Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread