Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade - Mozilla ; I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all my add ons. I tried the suggested method, >The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all
    my add ons. I tried the suggested method,

    >The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.
    >Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these three files
    >extensions.ini
    >extensions.cache
    >extensions.rdf
    >Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

    I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go, I
    still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had Firefox
    setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from scratch.

    Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    previously?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    "John" wrote in message news:gfkok3d2um17oqg6sa2nmllijg7jdnjfp2@4ax.com...
    >I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all
    > my add ons. I tried the suggested method,
    >
    >>The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to
    >>see what is really there.
    >>Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these three files
    >>extensions.ini
    >>extensions.cache
    >>extensions.rdf
    >>Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

    > I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go, I
    > still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had Firefox
    > setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from scratch.
    >
    > Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    > previously?

    I would also try removing localstore.rdf (with Firefox down, or use
    SafeMode method) and letting Firefox recreate it,
    but you will want to take a screenshot of your toolbars beforehand, as you
    will have to recustomize them (View, Toolbars, customize)
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

    If you have been restoring things in your profile from a CD, then you
    may have read-only file in your profile and that would prevent things
    from updating and working (bookmarks is usually noticed first)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  3. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 27/11/2007 10:24, John wrote:

    > I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost
    > all my add ons. I tried the suggested method,
    >
    >> The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure
    >> will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see
    >> what is really there. Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these
    >> three files extensions.ini extensions.cache extensions.rdf Make
    >> sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will
    >> regenerate these files on restart.

    > I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go,
    > I still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had
    > Firefox setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from
    > scratch.
    >
    > Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    > previously?
    >
    > Thanks.

    When you say that you "lost" your addons, are they physically still in
    the profile?

    Are you certain that you are actually using the same profile as was in
    use before the update?

    --
    John Liebson

  4. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 27.11.2007 12:07, David McRitchie wrote:

    > I would also try removing localstore.rdf (with Firefox down, or use
    > SafeMode method) and letting Firefox recreate it,
    > but you will want to take a screenshot of your toolbars beforehand, as you
    > will have to recustomize them (View, Toolbars, customize)
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
    >
    > If you have been restoring things in your profile from a CD, then you
    > may have read-only file in your profile and that would prevent things
    > from updating and working (bookmarks is usually noticed first)
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

    Probably none of that is necessary as the addon extension MaxVersion
    probably only goes up to 2.0.0.9 in the install.rdf file. Something like
    the Nightly Tester Tools will work to automagically make them
    compatible. I have NEVER had a problem with NTT in that fashion although
    I usually edit my own extensions to increase the MaxVersion.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion
    Marketing,Staff and Forums Consultant

  5. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    "Jay Garcia" wrote
    > compatible. I have NEVER had a problem with NTT in that fashion although
    > I usually edit my own extensions to increase the MaxVersion.

    I take extensions "all gone" to mean that he sees no extensions,
    I guess it could be interpreted that they are all disabled. Ambiguous
    questions are going to get extremely divergent answers.

  6. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 27.11.2007 13:21, David McRitchie wrote:

    >> compatible. I have NEVER had a problem with NTT in that fashion although
    >> I usually edit my own extensions to increase the MaxVersion.

    > I take extensions "all gone" to mean that he sees no extensions,
    > I guess it could be interpreted that they are all disabled. Ambiguous
    > questions are going to get extremely divergent answers.

    I looked at the question as well and thought that ALL gone just isn't a
    possibility. Not enabled or not compatible is more reasonable but you
    never know what the Gremlins are up to nowadays. :-D

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion
    Marketing,Staff and Forums Consultant
    Netscape Communications Corporation

  7. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:21:07 -0500, "David McRitchie"
    wrote:

    >"Jay Garcia" wrote
    >> compatible. I have NEVER had a problem with NTT in that fashion although
    >> I usually edit my own extensions to increase the MaxVersion.

    >I take extensions "all gone" to mean that he sees no extensions,
    >I guess it could be interpreted that they are all disabled. Ambiguous
    >questions are going to get extremely divergent answers.

    I'm sorry, I meant that after the upgrade, all the extensions I
    installed were not present. My bookmarks were all intact, and my
    toolbar was as customized, but all the extensions were not available.

    I click on Add on's in the tool menu, and they are all there, but when
    I try to click on any of them, the window locks up, and I have to use
    Vista's Task Manager to shut it down.

  8. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    "John" ...
    > I meant that after the upgrade, all the extensions I
    > installed were not present. My bookmarks were all intact, and my
    > toolbar was as customized, but all the extensions were not available.
    >
    > I click on Add on's in the tool menu, and they are all there, but when
    > I try to click on any of them, the window locks up, and I have to use
    > Vista's Task Manager to shut it down.

    That sounds like the Corrupt localstore.rdf that I already mentioned,
    except for the windows lock up. Did you try that suggestion and check
    into read-only attribute flags. You did report that you did delete the
    3 extension... files without success.

  9. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:56:52 -0500, "David McRitchie"
    wrote:

    >"John" ...
    >> I meant that after the upgrade, all the extensions I
    >> installed were not present. My bookmarks were all intact, and my
    >> toolbar was as customized, but all the extensions were not available.
    >>
    >> I click on Add on's in the tool menu, and they are all there, but when
    >> I try to click on any of them, the window locks up, and I have to use
    >> Vista's Task Manager to shut it down.

    >That sounds like the Corrupt localstore.rdf that I already mentioned,
    >except for the windows lock up. Did you try that suggestion and check
    >into read-only attribute flags. You did report that you did delete the
    >3 extension... files without success.

    Thanks David. I removed the localstore.rdf file, and let Firefox
    recreate it. Nothing. None of my add ons are available, and some of
    them are still showing in the Tools Menu, but again, the window locks
    up when I try to select any of them.

    I did confirm the read only attributes and they are not checked.

    I tried to download and reinstall two of the extensions, and I get
    this error:

    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    Source File:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    Line: 568

    I have just a standard Firefox install, and did nothing really to
    customize it beyond a few extensions. I let Firefox do all the updates
    as recommended. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems. Would
    creating a new profile help?

    Should I remove Firefox entirely, and download and reinstall from
    scratch? How can I do a complete uninstall so a new install doesn't
    pick up where this version left off? If I do this, what files do I
    need to save to preserve my current bookmarks and settings.

  10. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 28/11/2007 9:25, John wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:56:52 -0500, "David McRitchie"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "John" ...
    >>> I meant that after the upgrade, all the extensions I
    >>> installed were not present. My bookmarks were all intact, and my
    >>> toolbar was as customized, but all the extensions were not available.
    >>>
    >>> I click on Add on's in the tool menu, and they are all there, but when
    >>> I try to click on any of them, the window locks up, and I have to use
    >>> Vista's Task Manager to shut it down.

    >> That sounds like the Corrupt localstore.rdf that I already mentioned,
    >> except for the windows lock up. Did you try that suggestion and check
    >> into read-only attribute flags. You did report that you did delete the
    >> 3 extension... files without success.

    > Thanks David. I removed the localstore.rdf file, and let Firefox
    > recreate it. Nothing. None of my add ons are available, and some of
    > them are still showing in the Tools Menu, but again, the window locks
    > up when I try to select any of them.
    >
    > I did confirm the read only attributes and they are not checked.
    >
    > I tried to download and reinstall two of the extensions, and I get
    > this error:
    >
    > Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    > (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    > "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    > Source File:
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > Line: 568
    >
    > I have just a standard Firefox install, and did nothing really to
    > customize it beyond a few extensions. I let Firefox do all the updates
    > as recommended. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems. Would
    > creating a new profile help?
    >
    > Should I remove Firefox entirely, and download and reinstall from
    > scratch? How can I do a complete uninstall so a new install doesn't
    > pick up where this version left off? If I do this, what files do I
    > need to save to preserve my current bookmarks and settings.

    Something to try, which may turn out to be a waste of time: Close
    Firefox. Create a new Firefox profile. Copy the entire extension folder
    from the current profile into the new one. Start FF using the new profile.

    Results? If it works, then you can copy the other relevant files from
    the old to the new profile:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

    If it does not work, then if you are up to wasting still more time,
    start deleting extensions from the extension folder, restarting FF
    until/unless you finally get it to work.

    Warning: As stated, this may turn out to be an exercise in futility. Not
    long ago, I had two disastrous updates to Firefox, wherein, both times,
    none of my extensions would work. I eliminated the problem by discarding
    all incompatible extensions, ones that I'd used MR Local Install (now MR
    Tech Toolkit) to override the incompatibilities. I then reinstalled all
    "valid" extensions, copied the relevant files from the old to the new
    profile, all was/is/hope shall be okay.

    On the other hand, judging from your message as quoted above, you might
    be best served by, as you asked, just creating a new profile. If you do
    that, I recommend that you copy the relevant profile files one at a
    time, testing FF each time, to be certain that one of them is not
    corrupt. If that all works (or you find a corrupt file that needs to be
    deleted), then reinstall your extensions.

    There, *that* should certainly clarify matters for you: After all, if
    one adds enough confusion, eventually [fill in the rest of the sentence
    as you best see misfit...].

    --
    John Liebson

  11. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:44:11 -0700, John Liebson
    wrote:

> [...]

    >none of my extensions would work. I eliminated the problem by discarding
    >all incompatible extensions, ones that I'd used MR Local Install (now MR
    >Tech Toolkit) to override the incompatibilities. I then reinstalled all
    >"valid" extensions, copied the relevant files from the old to the new
    >profile, all was/is/hope shall be okay.
    >
    >On the other hand, judging from your message as quoted above, you might
    >be best served by, as you asked, just creating a new profile. If you do
    >that, I recommend that you copy the relevant profile files one at a
    >time, testing FF each time, to be certain that one of them is not
    >corrupt. If that all works (or you find a corrupt file that needs to be
    >deleted), then reinstall your extensions.
    >

    >There, *that* should certainly clarify matters for you: After all, if
    >one adds enough confusion, eventually [fill in the rest of the sentence

    OK, I created the new profile, and one by one, I am reinstalling the
    extensions I use. A few, like IE Tab, Download Helper are returning
    this error when I try to install them:

    "Firefox could not install the file at

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...2.51-fx+fl.xpi

    because: Unexpected installation error
    Review the Error Console log for more details.
    -203"

    From the Error Console:

    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    Source File:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    Line: 568

    Both of these extensions say they are compatible up to version 3.0.
    Again, when I try to click on them in the add on folder, Firefox locks
    up and I need to use Task Manager to shut it down.

  12. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 28/11/2007 10:39, John wrote:

    > OK, I created the new profile, and one by one, I am reinstalling the
    > extensions I use. A few, like IE Tab, Download Helper are returning
    > this error when I try to install them:
    >
    > "Firefox could not install the file at
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...2.51-fx+fl.xpi
    >

    > because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console log
    > for more details. -203"
    >

    > From the Error Console:
    >
    > Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    > (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    > "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no] Source File:
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > Line: 568
    >
    > Both of these extensions say they are compatible up to version 3.0.
    > Again, when I try to click on them in the add on folder, Firefox
    > locks up and I need to use Task Manager to shut it down.

    Definitely strange, and I have no factual idea as to what is happening.

    Therefore, I'm going to suggest a drastic excision: While it is nearly
    always true that problems reside in the profile, not in the program,
    there are times when the only way to fix problems is to completely
    remove the program and reinstall it.

    Why do I suggest this? nsExtensionManager.js is found in the
    installation folders, is likely corrupt, and I suspect that it is not
    replaced during an update, only during a completely new installation. I
    note that my copy of that file is dated 20July07, as are most of the
    files in that subfolder, with a last-modified date of 1Nov07; that
    indicates to me that it has not been touched by the most recent
    partial-updates, namely to 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.10, and possibly even by
    earlier updates. (I don't know what the significance of the 1Nov07 date is.)

    Please close Firefox and then, through the Control Panel, delete it from
    your computer. When done, delete the entire installation folder setup.

    Reinstall Firefox; when it starts, it should use your new profile, so
    see if you can then install the delinquent extensions.

    --
    John Liebson

  13. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:19:01 -0700, John Liebson
    wrote:

    >On 28/11/2007 10:39, John wrote:
    >

    >> OK, I created the new profile, and one by one, I am reinstalling the
    >> extensions I use. A few, like IE Tab, Download Helper are returning
    >> this error when I try to install them:
    >>
    >> "Firefox could not install the file at
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...2.51-fx+fl.xpi
    >>

    >> because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console log
    >> for more details. -203"
    >>

    >> From the Error Console:
    >>
    >> Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    >> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    >> "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no] Source File:
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> Line: 568
    >>
    >> Both of these extensions say they are compatible up to version 3.0.
    >> Again, when I try to click on them in the add on folder, Firefox
    >> locks up and I need to use Task Manager to shut it down.

    >Definitely strange, and I have no factual idea as to what is happening.
    >
    >Therefore, I'm going to suggest a drastic excision: While it is nearly
    >always true that problems reside in the profile, not in the program,
    >there are times when the only way to fix problems is to completely
    >remove the program and reinstall it.
    >
    >Why do I suggest this? nsExtensionManager.js is found in the
    >installation folders, is likely corrupt, and I suspect that it is not
    >replaced during an update, only during a completely new installation. I
    >note that my copy of that file is dated 20July07, as are most of the
    >files in that subfolder, with a last-modified date of 1Nov07; that
    >indicates to me that it has not been touched by the most recent
    >partial-updates, namely to 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.10, and possibly even by
    >earlier updates. (I don't know what the significance of the 1Nov07 date is.)
    >
    >Please close Firefox and then, through the Control Panel, delete it from
    >your computer. When done, delete the entire installation folder setup.
    >
    >Reinstall Firefox; when it starts, it should use your new profile, so
    >see if you can then install the delinquent extensions.

    Thanks John, I guess I will have to try that. Can I save my favorites
    and move them back after I reinstall? Which files do I need to back up
    to save them? What about my cookies, with the saved logins to my
    favorite sites? Can any of those be retained in a new install?

    This is all so weird as everything was working fine until the newest
    update. I believe the last two updates went fine. This is a new
    computer, and I installed Firefox new back in July, and a few
    automatice updates have come since, and they installed without
    problems until this one.

    Thanks for your help.

  14. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 29/11/2007 8:16, John wrote:

> [...]

    >> significance of the 1Nov07 date is.)
    >>
    >> Please close Firefox and then, through the Control Panel, delete it
    >> from your computer. When done, delete the entire installation
    >> folder setup.
    >>
    >> Reinstall Firefox; when it starts, it should use your new profile,
    >> so see if you can then install the delinquent extensions.

    > Thanks John, I guess I will have to try that. Can I save my favorites
    > and move them back after I reinstall? Which files do I need to back
    > up to save them? What about my cookies, with the saved logins to my
    > favorite sites? Can any of those be retained in a new install?
    >
    > This is all so weird as everything was working fine until the newest
    > update. I believe the last two updates went fine. This is a new
    > computer, and I installed Firefox new back in July, and a few
    > automatice updates have come since, and they installed without

    Here's the list of profile files:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile

    Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove [from
    OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some time to do
    the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined that FF finally
    workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from the old to the new
    profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test FF, and so on and on
    and on.
    --
    John Liebson

  15. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    Hi John and John,

    I did the same two days ago and have the same problem: AddOns,
    bookmarks and PasswordManager Content are gone.

    Regards

    Stefan

  16. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:33:54 -0700, John Liebson
    wrote:

    >On 29/11/2007 8:16, John wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:19:01 -0700, John Liebson
    >> wrote:

    >>> Definitely strange, and I have no factual idea as to what is
    >>> happening.
    >>>
    >>> Therefore, I'm going to suggest a drastic excision: While it is
    >>> nearly always true that problems reside in the profile, not in the
    >>> program, there are times when the only way to fix problems is to
    >>> completely remove the program and reinstall it.
    >>>
    >>> Why do I suggest this? nsExtensionManager.js is found in the
    >>> installation folders, is likely corrupt, and I suspect that it is
    >>> not replaced during an update, only during a completely new
    >>> installation. I note that my copy of that file is dated 20July07,
    >>> as are most of the files in that subfolder, with a last-modified
    >>> date of 1Nov07; that indicates to me that it has not been touched
    >>> by the most recent partial-updates, namely to 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.10,
    >>> and possibly even by earlier updates. (I don't know what the
    >>> significance of the 1Nov07 date is.)
    >>>
    >>> Please close Firefox and then, through the Control Panel, delete it
    >>> from your computer. When done, delete the entire installation
    >>> folder setup.
    >>>
    >>> Reinstall Firefox; when it starts, it should use your new profile,
    >>> so see if you can then install the delinquent extensions.

    >> Thanks John, I guess I will have to try that. Can I save my favorites
    >> and move them back after I reinstall? Which files do I need to back
    >> up to save them? What about my cookies, with the saved logins to my
    >> favorite sites? Can any of those be retained in a new install?
    >>
    >> This is all so weird as everything was working fine until the newest
    >> update. I believe the last two updates went fine. This is a new
    >> computer, and I installed Firefox new back in July, and a few
    >> automatice updates have come since, and they installed without
    >> problems until this one.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.

    >Here's the list of profile files:
    >
    >http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >
    >Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove [from
    >OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some time to do
    >the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined that FF finally
    >workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from the old to the new
    >profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test FF, and so on and on
    >and on.

    Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.

    I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,

    "Firefox could not install the file at

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi

    because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console
    log for more details. -203"

    From the Error Console:

    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    Source File:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    Line: 568

    From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.

    I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of Firefox.
    All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what happened, but
    even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.

    Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!

  17. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 29.11.2007 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:33:54 -0700, John Liebson
    > wrote:
    >

    >> On 29/11/2007 8:16, John wrote:

    >>> Thanks John, I guess I will have to try that. Can I save my favorites
    >>> and move them back after I reinstall? Which files do I need to back
    >>> up to save them? What about my cookies, with the saved logins to my
    >>> favorite sites? Can any of those be retained in a new install?
    >>>
    >>> This is all so weird as everything was working fine until the newest
    >>> update. I believe the last two updates went fine. This is a new
    >>> computer, and I installed Firefox new back in July, and a few
    >>> automatice updates have come since, and they installed without
    >>> problems until this one.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help.
    >>>

    >> Here's the list of profile files:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >>
    >> Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove [from
    >> OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some time to do
    >> the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined that FF finally
    >> workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from the old to the new
    >> profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test FF, and so on and on
    >> and on.
    >>

    > Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    > rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.
    >
    > I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    > try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,
    >
    > "Firefox could not install the file at
    >

    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi
    >
    > because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console
    > log for more details. -203"
    >

    > From the Error Console:
    >
    > Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    > (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    > "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    > Source File:
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > Line: 568
    >
    > From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    > that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.
    >
    > I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of Firefox.
    > All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what happened, but
    > even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.
    >
    > Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!

    did you also delete your Profile folder ?? (which is at a different
    location from the program folder)

    reg

  18. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:59:13 +0100, squaredancer
    wrote:

    >On 29.11.2007 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    >generate the following:? :
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:33:54 -0700, John Liebson
    >> wrote:

    >>> Here's the list of profile files:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >>>
    >>> Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove [from
    >>> OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some time to do
    >>> the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined that FF finally
    >>> workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from the old to the new
    >>> profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test FF, and so on and on
    >>> and on.
    >>>

    >> Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    >> rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.
    >>
    >> I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    >> try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,
    >>
    >> "Firefox could not install the file at
    >>

    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi
    >>
    >> because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console
    >> log for more details. -203"
    >>

    >> From the Error Console:
    >>
    >> Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    >> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    >> "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    >> Source File:
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> Line: 568
    >>
    >> From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    >> that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.
    >>
    >> I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of Firefox.
    >> All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what happened, but
    >> even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.
    >>
    >> Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!
    >>

    >did you also delete your Profile folder ?? (which is at a different
    >location from the program folder)
    >
    >reg

    I am using Vista Home Premium, and I did delete the folder from the
    AppData folder. These contain the profile folders. I even searched
    Mozilla from within Windows Explorer before reinstalling, and didn't
    see any other files.

    Other than what might be placed in the Registry, I thought I removed
    everything I could.

    Any other thoughts? Thanks!

  19. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 29/11/2007 13:49, baaderst wrote:

    > Hi John and John,
    >
    > I did the same two days ago and have the same problem: AddOns,
    > bookmarks and PasswordManager Content are gone.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stefan

    Totally fascinating.

    Of course, as you have not quoted anything, my comprehension of your
    message is equally non-existent.

    --
    John Liebson

  20. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 29/11/2007 13:54, John wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:33:54 -0700, John Liebson
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 29/11/2007 8:16, John wrote:

    >>> Thanks John, I guess I will have to try that. Can I save my
    >>> favorites and move them back after I reinstall? Which files do I
    >>> need to back up to save them? What about my cookies, with the
    >>> saved logins to my favorite sites? Can any of those be retained
    >>> in a new install?
    >>>
    >>> This is all so weird as everything was working fine until the
    >>> newest update. I believe the last two updates went fine. This is
    >>> a new computer, and I installed Firefox new back in July, and a
    >>> few automatice updates have come since, and they installed
    >>> without problems until this one.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help.

    >> Here's the list of profile files:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >>
    >> Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove
    >> [from OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some
    >> time to do the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined
    >> that FF finally workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from
    >> the old to the new profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test
    >> FF, and so on and on and on.

    > Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    > rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.
    >
    > I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    > try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,
    >
    > "Firefox could not install the file at
    >

    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi
    >

    > because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console log
    > for more details. -203"
    >

    > From the Error Console:
    >
    > Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    > (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    > "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no] Source File:
    > file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > Line: 568
    >
    > From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    > that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.
    >
    > I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of
    > Firefox. All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what
    > happened, but even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.
    >
    > Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!

    Other than this, http://firefox.exxile.net/forum/index.php

    I'm quite out of brilliant suggestions.

    I just installed/removed that extension; no problem, other than when I
    quite Beta1 to return to 2.0.10, it again got confused and told me yet
    anew that I'd updated to the latest version of FF.

    (Just after the install/removal, I noted that you've got another message
    in this thread posted, that you are using Vista. Guess what that likely
    means.)
    --
    John Liebson

+ Reply to Thread