Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade - Mozilla ; On 29.11.2007 22:06, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to generate the following:? : > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:59:13 +0100, squaredancer > wrote: > > >> On 29.11.2007 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On 29.11.2007 22:06, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:59:13 +0100, squaredancer
    > wrote:
    >

    >> On 29.11.2007 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    >> generate the following:? :

    >>> Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    >>> rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.
    >>>
    >>> I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    >>> try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,
    >>>
    >>> "Firefox could not install the file at
    >>>

    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi
    >>>
    >>> because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console
    >>> log for more details. -203"
    >>>

    >>> From the Error Console:
    >>>
    >>> Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    >>> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    >>> "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    >>> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >>> :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    >>> Source File:
    >>> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >>> Line: 568
    >>>
    >>> From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    >>> that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.
    >>>
    >>> I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of Firefox.
    >>> All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what happened, but
    >>> even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.
    >>>
    >>> Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!
    >>>

    >> did you also delete your Profile folder ?? (which is at a different
    >> location from the program folder)
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > I am using Vista Home Premium, and I did delete the folder from the
    > AppData folder. These contain the profile folders. I even searched
    > Mozilla from within Windows Explorer before reinstalling, and didn't
    > see any other files.
    >
    > Other than what might be placed in the Registry, I thought I removed
    > everything I could.
    >
    > Any other thoughts? Thanks!

    hmmmm - lots of thoughts at the moment... mostly "go to bed" "I am
    tired".....

    I'll look again tomorrow!

    reg

  2. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    baaderst wrote:
    > Hi John and John,
    >
    > I did the same two days ago and have the same problem: AddOns,
    > bookmarks and PasswordManager Content are gone.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stefan

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering...ly_disappeared

  3. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Nov 27, 12:24 pm, John wrote:
    > I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all
    > my add ons. I tried the suggested method,
    >
    > >The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.
    > >Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these three files
    > >extensions.ini
    > >extensions.cache
    > >extensions.rdf
    > >Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

    > I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go, I
    > still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had Firefox
    > setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from scratch.
    >
    > Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    > previously?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I upgraded to 2.0.0.10 and have all my addons. I didn't delete any
    files you mention either. OSX 10.4

  4. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:20:36 -0700, John Liebson
    wrote:

    >On 29/11/2007 13:54, John wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:33:54 -0700, John Liebson
    >> wrote:

    >>> Here's the list of profile files:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >>>
    >>> Given the problems you've encountered, I think it would behoove
    >>> [from OE, behof--but you know that, of course...] you to take some
    >>> time to do the copying cautiously. Once (if?) you've determined
    >>> that FF finally workd correctly, then copy one file at a time from
    >>> the old to the new profile: Close FF, copy a file, restart and test
    >>> FF, and so on and on and on.

    >> Well, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted any folders related to Mozilla,
    >> rebooted, reinstalled, and get the same problems.
    >>
    >> I can install two or three of my add ons, and they work fine. Then, I
    >> try to get another one, and I start getting the same error,
    >>
    >> "Firefox could not install the file at
    >>

    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir....7.1-fx+fl.xpi
    >>

    >> because: Unexpected installation error Review the Error Console log
    >> for more details. -203"
    >>

    >> From the Error Console:
    >>
    >> Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    >> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    >> "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no] Source File:
    >> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >> Line: 568
    >>
    >> From this point on, I can no longer install ANY add ons, even those
    >> that will work on all versions, including 3.0a1.
    >>
    >> I think I am doomed to not being able to user this version of
    >> Firefox. All was going well until the upgrade. I'm not sure what
    >> happened, but even reinstalling isn't correcting it for me.
    >>
    >> Please don't say I have to go back to IE!!!!

    >Other than this, http://firefox.exxile.net/forum/index.php
    >
    >I'm quite out of brilliant suggestions.
    >
    >I just installed/removed that extension; no problem, other than when I
    >quite Beta1 to return to 2.0.10, it again got confused and told me yet
    >anew that I'd updated to the latest version of FF.
    >
    >(Just after the install/removal, I noted that you've got another message
    >in this thread posted, that you are using Vista. Guess what that likely
    >means.)

    Well, I was all excited when I saw a new version, 2.0.0.11 released
    today. I upgraded, thinking I had nothing to loose, and suddenly SOME
    of my old addons appeared. I was happy about that, and very hopeful.

    However, I still cannot install any additional addons. In fact, it
    appears I am stuck at 5 addons, I originally had 10. Any other add on
    I try to install gives me the same error messages I listed above. It
    doesn't matter what the add on, none past these 5 will install.

    So, I am halfway there, maybe by version .15 I'll be back where I
    started!

  5. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    "John" wrote
    > Well, I was all excited when I saw a new version, 2.0.0.11 released
    > today. I upgraded, thinking I had nothing to loose, and suddenly SOME
    > of my old addons appeared. I was happy about that, and very hopeful.
    >
    > However, I still cannot install any additional addons. In fact, it
    > appears I am stuck at 5 addons, I originally had 10. Any other add on
    > I try to install gives me the same error messages I listed above. It
    > doesn't matter what the add on, none past these 5 will install.
    >
    > So, I am halfway there, maybe by version .15 I'll be back where I
    > started!

    Did 2.0.0.11 solve the problems where you got the errors you reported
    when trying to install?

    What are the 5 addons that you don't have, and do you know about
    turning off compatibility which may have some risks, but often allows
    you to run extensions that frequently just need the maxVersion to be
    adjusted. Will be a little harder to do that with Fx3 but usually if it is
    okay with 2.0.0.5 and up it should be good for Fx2.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...#compatibility

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  6. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:54:58 -0500, "David McRitchie"
    wrote:

    >"John" wrote
    >> Well, I was all excited when I saw a new version, 2.0.0.11 released
    >> today. I upgraded, thinking I had nothing to loose, and suddenly SOME
    >> of my old addons appeared. I was happy about that, and very hopeful.
    >>
    >> However, I still cannot install any additional addons. In fact, it
    >> appears I am stuck at 5 addons, I originally had 10. Any other add on
    >> I try to install gives me the same error messages I listed above. It
    >> doesn't matter what the add on, none past these 5 will install.
    >>
    >> So, I am halfway there, maybe by version .15 I'll be back where I
    >> started!

    >Did 2.0.0.11 solve the problems where you got the errors you reported
    >when trying to install?
    >
    >What are the 5 addons that you don't have, and do you know about
    >turning off compatibility which may have some risks, but often allows
    >you to run extensions that frequently just need the maxVersion to be
    >adjusted. Will be a little harder to do that with Fx3 but usually if it is
    >okay with 2.0.0.5 and up it should be good for Fx2.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...#compatibility

    The 5 I wanted to add are Colorful Tabs, Download Statusbar, IE Tab,
    Tab Mix Plus, and Update Notifier. It's funny, after installing
    2.0.0.11, I got a notice that All In One Sidebar was not compatible,
    but it installed and runs perfectly. All of these showed they should
    run fine up to 3.0 beta I believe. It doesn't seem to have anything to
    do with these 5. I have tried a number of other add ons, just for the
    sake of trying them, and it just seems that I can not add ANY further
    add ons. I get the same error message:

    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
    (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult:
    "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 568" data: no]
    Source File:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    Line: 568

    I'm not sure what you mean by "turning off compatibility." I will
    read the link you provided, and see if that's any help. Thanks for the
    suggestions.

  7. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Nov 27, 9:24 am, John wrote:
    > I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all
    > my add ons. I tried the suggested method,
    >
    > >The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.
    > >Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these three files
    > >extensions.ini
    > >extensions.cache
    > >extensions.rdf
    > >Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

    > I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go, I
    > still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had Firefox
    > setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from scratch.
    >
    > Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    > previously?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'm having the same lock-up problem on my vista laptop.
    Anyone find an answer yet? I get the same error whenever I try to
    install an extension, and the addon window locks up if i click on any
    existing addons...

  8. Re: Lost all Add Ons with 2.0.0.10 upgrade

    On Dec 1, 5:48 pm, WicK wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 9:24 am, John wrote:
    >

    > > I let Firefox update my version this morning to 2.0.0.10, and lost all
    > > my add ons. I tried the suggested method,

    > > >The update has confused the extension manager.... This procedure will reset it, so Firefox rescans your collection of addons, to see what is really there.
    > > >Look in your Profile Folder and Delete these three files
    > > >extensions.ini
    > > >extensions.cache
    > > >extensions.rdf
    > > >Make sure Firefox is not running when deleting these files. Firefox will regenerate these files on restart.

    > > I removed the three files, and let Firefox recreate them, but no go, I
    > > still don't have any of my add ons. They are all gone. I had Firefox
    > > setup just the way I wanted it, now I am starting from scratch.

    > > Any other suggestion on how I can restore my settings to how it was
    > > previously?

    > > Thanks.

    > I'm having the same lock-up problem on my vista laptop.
    > Anyone find an answer yet? I get the same error whenever I try to
    > install an extension, and the addon window locks up if i click on any
    > existing addons...

    Hmmm, well I finally found the correct profile folder, deleted the 3
    "extensions.xxx" files, and it's working fine now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2