Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page - Mozilla ; I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I type something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only 10 hits per page. I have ...

  1. Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro

    For the last few months, through the last several upgrades,
    when I type something in the google search box on the upper
    left, I get only 10 hits per page.

    I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the
    reality is the the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at
    the end of the session. So for the rest of the session I
    can get 100 searches per page, but as soon as I close down
    and reopen, I'm back to 10.

    I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date
    but no matter what I do, I'm back to 10.

    Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen
    on my portable although as far as I know, I have the same
    setup on my desktop and my portable.

    There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set
    my preferences every time I open FF.

    TIA

    Louise

  2. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:

    > I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >
    > For the last few months, through the last several upgrades,
    > when I type something in the google search box on the upper
    > left, I get only 10 hits per page.
    >
    > I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the
    > reality is the the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at
    > the end of the session. So for the rest of the session I
    > can get 100 searches per page, but as soon as I close down
    > and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date
    > but no matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen
    > on my portable although as far as I know, I have the same
    > setup on my desktop and my portable.
    >
    > There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set
    > my preferences every time I open FF.

    Click on this and make it a bookmark:

    "If you see me running, try to keep up."
    ...Back of bomb technician's shirt

  3. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    "The Real Bev" ...
    > louise wrote:
    >> For the last few months, through the last several upgrades,
    >> when I type something in the google search box on the upper
    >> left, I get only 10 hits per page.
    >>
    >> I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the
    >> reality is the the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at
    >> the end of the session. So for the rest of the session I
    >> can get 100 searches per page, but as soon as I close down
    >> and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date
    >> but no matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen
    >> on my portable although as far as I know, I have the same
    >> setup on my desktop and my portable.
    >>
    >> There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set
    >> my preferences every time I open FF.

    > Click on this and make it a bookmark:

    The bookmark Bev supplied will get you to the Advanced Search page, but it will
    do nothing for the search box you are using. If fact if you were not to use the
    search box, you would be better off learning to use the Google keywords and
    using Firefox keyword shortcuts (part of bookmarks), than to always use the
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm
    but this is not your immediate problem, so continue reading.

    If you are using the Google toolbar extension with a lot of bells and whistles added to the
    toolbar pertaining to Google -- get rid of it, and it is frequently listed as a problematic
    extension, and don't get Firefox from Google either. The builtin searchbar that
    comes with Firefox (with Firefox directly from Mozilla.com) is a lot better.

    Cookies expiring at the end of the session is of course not what you want
    check your options again under Tools, Security, Cookies; Also be aware that
    extensions such as the "Google toolbar" or "Customize Google" can and will
    override your cookie settings for the number of hits per page.

    In Google set your "Number of Results" to 100, changes apply to all
    Google services (that would include both web & groups). Use
    the Save Preferences button before exiting page.
    http://www.google.com/preferences

    I would recommend the "CustomizeGoogle" extension and you can
    specify how many hits you want under Preferences, and protect yourself
    against some of the excesses in Google. Suggested options: Remove ads,
    Add position counter, Remove click tracking. (270 KB download but worth it)

    More information on several pages on my site, including home page and
    those already listed.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  4. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:
    > I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >
    > For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I type
    > something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only 10
    > hits per page.
    >
    > I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    > the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session. So
    > for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but as soon
    > as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    > matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    > portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my desktop
    > and my portable.
    >
    > There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    > preferences every time I open FF.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    This was happening to me, with the Tools > Options > Privacy option,
    "Accept cookies until I close Firefox" enabled. I also have google.com
    listed as "Allow" in the Exceptions - Cookies dialog. I use the Google
    toolbar extension rather than the one built into FF.

    So when I read your post I went to Tools > Options > Privacy > Settings
    and unchecked both the "cookies" and "saved form information" options.

    When I closed and reopened FF, my preferred Google setting of "50" was
    retained from the last session.

    Maybe this will work for you.

    Barry

  5. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:
    > I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >
    > For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I type
    > something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only 10
    > hits per page.
    >
    > I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    > the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session. So
    > for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but as soon
    > as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    > matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    > portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my desktop
    > and my portable.
    >
    > There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    > preferences every time I open FF.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    This was happening to me, with the Tools > Options > Privacy option,
    "Accept cookies until I close Firefox" enabled and the "cookies" option
    in Tools > Options > Privacy > Settings unchecked (disabled).

    I also have google.com listed as "Allow" in the Exceptions - Cookies
    dialog. BTW, I use the Google toolbar extension rather than the one
    built into FF.

    So when I read your post I went to Tools > Options > Privacy > Settings
    and unchecked /both/ the "cookies" and "saved form information" options.

    When I closed and reopened FF, my preferred Google setting of "50" was
    retained from the last session. It might be that the "saved form
    information" option needs to be disabled.

    Maybe this will work for you.

    Barry

  6. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "The Real Bev" ...
    >> louise wrote:
    >>> For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I
    >>> type something in the google search box on the upper left, I get
    >>> only 10 hits per page.
    >>>
    >>> I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    >>> the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session.
    >>> So for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but
    >>> as soon as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    >>> matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    >>> portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my
    >>> desktop and my portable.
    >>>
    >>> There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    >>> preferences every time I open FF.

    >> Click on this and make it a bookmark:
    >>

    > The bookmark Bev supplied will get you to the Advanced Search page, but
    > it will
    > do nothing for the search box you are using. If fact if you were not
    > to use the
    > search box, you would be better off learning to use the Google keywords and
    > using Firefox keyword shortcuts (part of bookmarks), than to always use
    > the Advanced Search page, see
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm but this is not
    > your immediate problem, so continue reading.
    >
    > If you are using the Google toolbar extension with a lot of bells and
    > whistles added to the
    > toolbar pertaining to Google -- get rid of it, and it is frequently
    > listed as a problematic
    > extension, and don't get Firefox from Google either. The builtin
    > searchbar that comes with Firefox (with Firefox directly from
    > Mozilla.com) is a lot better.
    >
    > Cookies expiring at the end of the session is of course not what you want
    > check your options again under Tools, Security, Cookies; Also be aware
    > that
    > extensions such as the "Google toolbar" or "Customize Google" can and
    > will
    > override your cookie settings for the number of hits per page.
    >
    > In Google set your "Number of Results" to 100, changes apply to all
    > Google services (that would include both web & groups). Use
    > the Save Preferences button before exiting page.
    > http://www.google.com/preferences
    >
    > I would recommend the "CustomizeGoogle" extension and you can
    > specify how many hits you want under Preferences, and protect yourself
    > against some of the excesses in Google. Suggested options: Remove ads,
    > Add position counter, Remove click tracking. (270 KB download but worth
    > it)
    >
    > More information on several pages on my site, including home page and
    > those already listed.

    Thanks for your suggestions - I would love to narrow down
    the "real" problem.

    I do not and have never run the google toolbar. I have
    never used any google extensions. I do not bring up FF from
    Google.

    I only use the built in searchbar that comes with FF.

    I notice under cookies I have several Google cookies and I
    don't know what they are doing - maybe causing all this
    trouble? I have google.com SID, google.com TZ and
    google.com SC. These are in addition to the google.com PREF

    Your suggested extension sounds good, but it would be heavy
    on resources and redundant because I already use adblock
    plus, and no script.

    With the above information, do you have any other possible
    things for me to try?

    Thanks.

    Louise

  7. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    BarryM wrote:
    > louise wrote:
    >> I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >>
    >> For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I
    >> type something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only
    >> 10 hits per page.
    >>
    >> I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    >> the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session.
    >> So for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but as
    >> soon as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    >> matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    >> portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my
    >> desktop and my portable.
    >>
    >> There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    >> preferences every time I open FF.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Louise

    > This was happening to me, with the Tools > Options > Privacy option,
    > "Accept cookies until I close Firefox" enabled. I also have google.com
    > listed as "Allow" in the Exceptions - Cookies dialog. I use the Google
    > toolbar extension rather than the one built into FF.
    >
    > So when I read your post I went to Tools > Options > Privacy > Settings
    > and unchecked both the "cookies" and "saved form information" options.
    >
    > When I closed and reopened FF, my preferred Google setting of "50" was
    > retained from the last session.
    >
    > Maybe this will work for you.
    >
    > Barry

    I didn't have the saved form information checked.

    But I do have "save cookies" checked - did you mean to
    uncheck that? If so, aren't you going to run into a lot of
    sites that will balk if they can't save cookies?

    I did whitelist google.com and just made it "allow" - it
    wasn't listed in any form in the alllow list - now it is
    just in case that will help.

    Thanks for your suggestions and let us know what happens
    when you are refusing all cookes.

    Louise

  8. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    On 11/23/2007 11:35 PM, louise wrote:
    > David McRitchie wrote:

    >>> Click on this and make it a bookmark:
    >>>

    >> The bookmark Bev supplied will get you to the Advanced Search page,
    >> but it will
    >> do nothing for the search box you are using. If fact if you were
    >> not to use the
    >> search box, you would be better off learning to use the Google
    >> keywords and
    >> using Firefox keyword shortcuts (part of bookmarks), than to always
    >> use the Advanced Search page, see
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm but this is not
    >> your immediate problem, so continue reading.
    >>
    >> If you are using the Google toolbar extension with a lot of bells and
    >> whistles added to the
    >> toolbar pertaining to Google -- get rid of it, and it is frequently
    >> listed as a problematic
    >> extension, and don't get Firefox from Google either. The builtin
    >> searchbar that comes with Firefox (with Firefox directly from
    >> Mozilla.com) is a lot better.
    >>
    >> Cookies expiring at the end of the session is of course not what you want
    >> check your options again under Tools, Security, Cookies; Also be
    >> aware that
    >> extensions such as the "Google toolbar" or "Customize Google" can
    >> and will
    >> override your cookie settings for the number of hits per page.
    >>
    >> In Google set your "Number of Results" to 100, changes apply to all
    >> Google services (that would include both web & groups). Use
    >> the Save Preferences button before exiting page.
    >> http://www.google.com/preferences
    >>
    >> I would recommend the "CustomizeGoogle" extension and you can
    >> specify how many hits you want under Preferences, and protect yourself
    >> against some of the excesses in Google. Suggested options: Remove
    >> ads, Add position counter, Remove click tracking. (270 KB download
    >> but worth it)
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743
    >>
    >> More information on several pages on my site, including home page and
    >> those already listed.
    >>

    > Thanks for your suggestions - I would love to narrow down the "real"
    > problem.
    >
    > I do not and have never run the google toolbar. I have never used any
    > google extensions. I do not bring up FF from Google.
    >
    > I only use the built in searchbar that comes with FF.
    >
    > I notice under cookies I have several Google cookies and I don't know
    > what they are doing - maybe causing all this trouble? I have
    > google.com SID, google.com TZ and google.com SC. These are in
    > addition to the google.com PREF
    >
    > Your suggested extension sounds good, but it would be heavy on resources
    > and redundant because I already use adblock plus, and no script.
    >
    > With the above information, do you have any other possible things for me
    > to try?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Louise

    Louise: Try making the google cookies permanent rather than session, so
    that your preferences carry over.

    --
    Irwin

  9. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:
    > BarryM wrote:
    >> louise wrote:
    >>> I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >>>
    >>> For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I
    >>> type something in the google search box on the upper left, I get
    >>> only 10 hits per page.
    >>>
    >>> I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    >>> the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session.
    >>> So for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but
    >>> as soon as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    >>> matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    >>> portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my
    >>> desktop and my portable.
    >>>
    >>> There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    >>> preferences every time I open FF.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Louise

    >> This was happening to me, with the Tools > Options > Privacy option,
    >> "Accept cookies until I close Firefox" enabled. I also have google.com
    >> listed as "Allow" in the Exceptions - Cookies dialog. I use the Google
    >> toolbar extension rather than the one built into FF.
    >>
    >> So when I read your post I went to Tools > Options > Privacy >
    >> Settings and unchecked both the "cookies" and "saved form
    >> information" options.
    >>
    >> When I closed and reopened FF, my preferred Google setting of "50" was
    >> retained from the last session.
    >>
    >> Maybe this will work for you.
    >>
    >> Barry

    > I didn't have the saved form information checked.
    >
    > But I do have "save cookies" checked - did you mean to uncheck that? If
    > so, aren't you going to run into a lot of sites that will balk if they
    > can't save cookies?
    >
    > I did whitelist google.com and just made it "allow" - it wasn't listed
    > in any form in the alllow list - now it is just in case that will help.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions and let us know what happens when you are
    > refusing all cookes.
    >
    > Louise

    Sorry for any confusion ... Before reading this thread I had the
    following set "on" (checked):

    _x_ Accept cookies from sites ... Keep until "I close Firefox." In the
    Exceptions list, I "Allow" google.com, among some other sites that
    require cookies.

    _x_ Always clear my private data. In the Settings list, all were checked
    /except/ cookies.

    Nothing else on the Options/Privacy dialog is/was checked.

    /After/ reading this thread, I unchecked (i.e., disabled, turned off)
    "Saved Form Information" in the Settings list. This last step seems to
    have immediately worked to retain my Google preferences -- at least, the
    one setting the number of "Display results" to "50".

    HTH,

    Barry

  10. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:
    > I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >
    > For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I type
    > something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only 10
    > hits per page.
    >
    > I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    > the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session. So
    > for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but as soon
    > as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    > matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >
    > Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    > portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my desktop
    > and my portable.
    >
    > There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    > preferences every time I open FF.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and
    experiences. I changed a couple of checkboxes in
    preferences and I removed a google.com TZ cookie which
    had an end of session expiration date.

    I'm not sure which "fix" worked, but it's working now and I
    appreciate everyone's help.

    Louise

  11. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    "louise" wrote
    > Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and
    > experiences. I changed a couple of checkboxes in
    > [Google] preferences and I removed a google.com TZ cookie which
    > had an end of session expiration date.
    >
    > I'm not sure which "fix" worked, but it's working now and I
    > appreciate everyone's help.

    Glad to hear that.

    Nice that you did go into cookies to check the details so you found
    that the google.com TZ cookie still only had an end of session expiration date.

    I expect the problem is changing the Google preferences
    http://www.google.com/preferences
    after making cookies permanent, but before exiting Firefox (so not yet permanent).
    So the temporary cookie get the preferences and would be dropped when
    all Firefox sessions end, but if you change preferences again after
    bringing up Firefox because the google.com cookies would now be
    permanent in your cookie preferences (Tools, Options, Privacy) that
    the preferences would then work.

    If someone knows for sure, and can word it succinctly, something should
    be added concerning transitioning longevity of cookies and changes to cookies before
    becoming permanent. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies

  12. Re: Goggle wont maintain more than 10 searches per page

    louise wrote:
    > louise wrote:
    >> I'm presently running FF 2.0.0.9. Win XP Pro
    >>
    >> For the last few months, through the last several upgrades, when I
    >> type something in the google search box on the upper left, I get only
    >> 10 hits per page.
    >>
    >> I have adjusted my preferences a million times but the reality is the
    >> the Google PREF cookie is set to expire at the end of the session.
    >> So for the rest of the session I can get 100 searches per page, but as
    >> soon as I close down and reopen, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> I've tried using Cooke Editor to change the expiration date but no
    >> matter what I do, I'm back to 10.
    >>
    >> Any ideas about how I might correct this? It doesn't happen on my
    >> portable although as far as I know, I have the same setup on my
    >> desktop and my portable.
    >>
    >> There's got to be a way to fix this so I don't have to set my
    >> preferences every time I open FF.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Louise

    > Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and experiences. I
    > changed a couple of checkboxes in preferences and I removed a
    > google.com TZ cookie which had an end of session expiration date.
    >
    > I'm not sure which "fix" worked, but it's working now and I appreciate
    > everyone's help.
    >
    > Louise

    I don't have a Google cookie with this name ("TZ"), and in any case all
    the Google cookies on my system have expiry dates in the future -- from
    next month to 2038 A.D.

    Maybe that's the problem with your system, but on mine, simply
    unchecking the "Saved Form Information" box in the Settings list cured
    the problem.

    So it's (sometimes) more than just an expired cookie...

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread