Preferences are not activated - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Preferences are not activated - Mozilla ; After each reboot (and sometimes when the page was open for a few hours) I have to click "Load preferences" before I can search the IATE dictionary at This isn't a big problem, of course, but I'm just curious why ...

  1. Preferences are not activated

    After each reboot (and sometimes when the page was open for a few hours)
    I have to click "Load preferences" before I can search the IATE
    dictionary at

    This isn't a big problem, of course, but I'm just curious why FF doesn't
    load my preferences when the page is opened.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Preferences are not activated

    On 18.11.2007 10:53 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > After each reboot (and sometimes when the page was open for a few hours)
    > I have to click "Load preferences" before I can search the IATE
    > dictionary at
    >
    > This isn't a big problem, of course, but I'm just curious why FF doesn't
    > load my preferences when the page is opened.

    I keep having to click "Load preferences"
    , i.e. FF keeps
    losing the setting.

    Is this a FF issue or a server (?) issue?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Preferences are not activated

    Herb wrote:
    > On 18.11.2007 10:53 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >> After each reboot (and sometimes when the page was open for a few hours)
    >> I have to click "Load preferences" before I can search the IATE
    >> dictionary at
    >>
    >> This isn't a big problem, of course, but I'm just curious why FF doesn't
    >> load my preferences when the page is opened.

    > I keep having to click "Load preferences"
    > , i.e. FF keeps
    > losing the setting.
    >
    > Is this a FF issue or a server (?) issue?

    Cookie, perhaps?

    Your preferences are, undoubtedly, stored in a cookie, set by the site.

    Do you allow only session cookies, or are you allowing FF site to keep
    the cookie from that site, until it expires?

    --
    Alex K.

  4. Re: Preferences are not activated

    On 05.03.2008 13:03 UK Time, Alex K. wrote:

    >> I keep having to click "Load preferences"
    >> , i.e. FF keeps
    >> losing the setting.
    >>
    >> Is this a FF issue or a server (?) issue?
    >>

    > Cookie, perhaps?
    >
    > Your preferences are, undoubtedly, stored in a cookie, set by the site.

    Yes, indeed.

    > Do you allow only session cookies, or are you allowing FF site to keep
    > the cookie from that site, until it expires?

    Good question.

    My cookie list contains 4 different cookies from that site, with
    different expiry settings.

    Is there some way I can copy the cookie information so that I can post
    it here in the hope of further enlightenment?

    Or perhaps I should delete the cookies and start with a clean slate?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Preferences are not activated

    Herb wrote:
    > On 05.03.2008 13:03 UK Time, Alex K. wrote:
    >
    >>> I keep having to click "Load preferences"
    >>> , i.e. FF keeps
    >>> losing the setting.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a FF issue or a server (?) issue?
    >>>

    >> Cookie, perhaps?
    >>
    >> Your preferences are, undoubtedly, stored in a cookie, set by the site.

    > Yes, indeed.
    >
    >> Do you allow only session cookies, or are you allowing FF site to keep
    >> the cookie from that site, until it expires?

    > Good question.
    >
    > My cookie list contains 4 different cookies from that site, with
    > different expiry settings.

    Each cookie may have different Expiration dates. That is normal. What
    is important, is the policy that FF enforces on the cookies.

    > Is there some way I can copy the cookie information so that I can post
    > it here in the hope of further enlightenment?
    >
    > Or perhaps I should delete the cookies and start with a clean slate?

    What is your setting, under Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies,
    'Keep until:'?

    If it is not 'they expire', then you can add the site, as it is shown in
    your cookie list, to the Exceptions list, and set the 'Status' to
    'Allow'. That will tell FF to keep the cookies until they expire, based
    on the expiration date in the cookie itself.

    Or, if you find that the site is already in the Exceptions list, make
    sure that the 'Action' is set to 'Allow', and not 'Allow for session'.

    After doing that, if you still have problems, you could try deleting the
    cookies, and starting fresh. The Exception rule should still be in
    place, even if you delete the cookies.

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: Preferences are not activated

    On 06.03.2008 12:01 UK Time, Alex K. wrote:

    >> Or perhaps I should delete the cookies and start with a clean slate?
    >>

    > What is your setting, under Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies,
    > 'Keep until:'?
    >
    > If it is not 'they expire', then you can add the site, as it is shown in
    > your cookie list, to the Exceptions list, and set the 'Status' to
    > 'Allow'. That will tell FF to keep the cookies until they expire, based
    > on the expiration date in the cookie itself.
    >
    > Or, if you find that the site is already in the Exceptions list, make
    > sure that the 'Action' is set to 'Allow', and not 'Allow for session'.
    >
    > After doing that, if you still have problems, you could try deleting the
    > cookies, and starting fresh. The Exception rule should still be in
    > place, even if you delete the cookies.

    Hi Alex,

    Thanks for encouraging me to have a closer look at the cookie settings,
    and sorry about the delay in replying.

    I'm still trying to understand the implications of the various cookie
    settings. I'll report back once I have a clearer picture.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread