Blocking Underline Ad Links - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Blocking Underline Ad Links - Mozilla ; Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups blocking everything ...

  1. Blocking Underline Ad Links

    Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous
    "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting
    so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups
    blocking everything and lingering in your face.

    Thanks ahead...

  2. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    "Jon" wrote in message news:S7WdnaIzzOyuXKjanZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous
    > "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting
    > so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups
    > blocking everything and lingering in your face.

    add *IntelliTXT* to your "Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" extension filters

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  3. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    On 10.11.2007 08:33, Jon wrote:

    > Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous
    > "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting
    > so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups
    > blocking everything and lingering in your face.
    >
    > Thanks ahead...

    I searched a few claims regarding editing the HOSTS file to block the
    originating sites, such as:

    127.0.0.1 intellitext.com
    127.0.0.1 vibrant.com
    127.0.0.1 images.intellitext.com

    But it doesn't work ... still searching.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Staff Member
    Netscape Communications Division of AOL

  4. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    Correction add both of these to your "Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" extension filters:
    *intellitext*
    *intellitxt*

  5. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    Jon wrote:
    > Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous
    > "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting
    > so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups
    > blocking everything and lingering in your face.
    >
    > Thanks ahead...

    Provide a link to one of the offending pages. My bet is that there is
    some javascript involved that detects keywords and mouse-over actions.
    If that is the case, then the "NoScript" add-on might be a help.

    --
    Ron K.

  6. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    On 10.11.2007 08:54, David McRitchie wrote:

    > Correction add both of these to your "Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" extension filters:
    > *intellitext*
    > *intellitxt*

    Works .. thanks. I would have eventually gotten there but afraid I won't
    live long enough ... :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia - Staff Member
    Netscape Communications Division of AOL
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    On 10.11.2007 08:59, Ron K. wrote:

    >> Is there an add-on or a modification I can use to prevent the infamous
    >> "double-underline" ad links from coming up on a web page? They're getting
    >> so prevalent that you can hardly move your mouse around without popups
    >> blocking everything and lingering in your face.
    >>
    >> Thanks ahead...
    >>

    > Provide a link to one of the offending pages. My bet is that there is
    > some javascript involved that detects keywords and mouse-over actions.
    > If that is the case, then the "NoScript" add-on might be a help.

    David's solution works by adding intellitext and intellitxt to
    AdBlockPlus. Should work in other ad-blocking software/extensions as well.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Staff Member
    Netscape Communications Division of AOL
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  8. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    "Jay Garcia" wrote in message news:zZudnTGa6_QEWKjanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 10.11.2007 08:33, Jon wrote:

    One reason it might not work is because "intellitext.com" will not block www.intellitext.com
    so the hosts file is only good to remove the most common usages. If they
    put different prefixes then it won't work.

    That is why it is important to also use one of the "Adblock" extensions
    that can easily be turned on and off. Use the hosts file for the dangerous
    ones and really prevelent ones that you never want to turn off.

    There are also additions that can be made to userChrome.css but Joe Francis and
    his floppymoose.com site don't appear to be around anymore, but I still use them
    as well.

  9. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > There are also additions that can be made to userChrome.css but Joe Francis and
    > his floppymoose.com site don't appear to be around anymore, but I still use them
    > as well.

    post the script anyways. There might be a way around it.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 10.11.2007 08:59, Ron K. wrote:

    Observed the other sub-thread replys. Since web surfing is not a major
    activity for me I use the Fx inbuilt feature as my primary ad control.
    The Vista Windows Defender malware app. is also inplace. It's a new box
    that I am slowly setting up to work my way as best I can.

    --
    Ron K.

  11. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    Perfect. I had to add *lingospot* to the list as well.

  12. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" ...
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> There are also additions that can be made to userChrome.css but Joe Francis and
    >> his floppymoose.com site don't appear to be around anymore, but I still use them
    >> as well.

    > post the script anyways. There might be a way around it.

    Not sure of the the "way around it", because don't have a problem with
    them at all basically almost unchanged from the day I first used them.

    Sorry I meant userContent.css so it's not actually scripts, the floppymoose
    portion that I am using and is basically unchanged from years ago,
    from what appeared on floppymoose.com except for a removal
    so that Gmail and other similar things would work. The items that
    show up as a:link and IFRAME are the items from floppymoose.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...sercontent.txt
    I'm sure this predated ADBLOCK and others and I still use it as
    my second line of defense, with hosts file as first and "Adblock"
    as third defense.

    While floppymoose.com is not around anymore as that site, you can still
    see the site in the archives.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200707012...oppymoose.com/
    and I see that it included a note about Gmail compatible in his example
    so they are probably reasonably up to date.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200706080...serContent.css

    I hope the slowness of the archive.com site was temporary, they may
    simply be overwhelmed or may have added some searching that would
    have really hurt the site.

  13. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > While floppymoose.com is not around anymore as that site, you can still
    > see the site in the archives.
    > http://web.archive.org/web/200707012...oppymoose.com/
    > and I see that it included a note about Gmail compatible in his example
    > so they are probably reasonably up to date.

    for this one, you can use Jesse Ruderman's. You need to
    change the last line:
    http://www.squarefree.com/turing/clickToView.xml#ctv. Then
    again, you can have that on your own site:
    http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/xbl.html

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" (Grant) wrote...
    > for this one, you can use Jesse Ruderman's. You need to
    > change the last line:
    > http://www.squarefree.com/turing/clickToView.xml#ctv. Then
    > again, you can have that on your own site:
    > http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/xbl.html

    Hi Grant,
    I can see now that your answers have to do with suppressing flash
    with a script . "Prevent flash animations from playing until you click on them."
    Which I'm sure is helpful for such things, but in this case, simply
    blocking the site entirely did solve the user's problem and I believe
    more effectively since he would immediately know that it was
    blocked on purpose when using one of the Adblock extensions.

  15. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" (Grant) wrote...
    >> for this one, you can use Jesse Ruderman's. You need to
    >> change the last line:
    >> http://www.squarefree.com/turing/clickToView.xml#ctv. Then
    >> again, you can have that on your own site:
    >> http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/xbl.html

    > Hi Grant,
    > I can see now that your answers have to do with suppressing flash
    > with a script . "Prevent flash animations from playing until you click on them."
    > Which I'm sure is helpful for such things, but in this case, simply
    > blocking the site entirely did solve the user's problem and I believe
    > more effectively since he would immediately know that it was
    > blocked on purpose when using one of the Adblock extensions.

    flash has nothing to do with the OPs problem. I was
    answering /your/ problem.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    > flash has nothing to do with the OPs problem. I was
    > answering /your/ problem.

    Thanks anyway, but I didn't ask a question in this thread.

  17. Re: Blocking Underline Ad Links

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> flash has nothing to do with the OPs problem. I was
    >> answering /your/ problem.

    > Thanks anyway, but I didn't ask a question in this thread.

    no, you didn't ask a question, but you made a comment:
    "There are also additions that can be made to
    userChrome.css but Joe Francis and his floppymoose.com
    site don't appear to be around anymore, but I still use them
    as well." and I made the suggestion on what to do.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread