Google search error - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Google search error - Mozilla ; Since last week, anytime that I try to search on Google I get a message that firefox.exe had to shut down, sorry, etc. What is causing this? I have removed Firefox and reinstalled twice with the same result. Currently I ...

  1. Google search error

    Since last week, anytime that I try to search on Google I get a message that
    firefox.exe had to shut down, sorry, etc. What is causing this? I have
    removed Firefox and reinstalled twice with the same result. Currently I
    went back to Internet Explorer. I prefer FireFox but this problem is
    frustrating to me.

    Thank you ... Steve Hall

  2. Re: Google search error

    On 3/11/2007 11:25, Steve & Melva wrote:

    > Since last week, anytime that I try to search on Google I get a message that
    > firefox.exe had to shut down, sorry, etc. What is causing this? I have
    > removed Firefox and reinstalled twice with the same result. Currently I
    > went back to Internet Explorer. I prefer FireFox but this problem is
    > frustrating to me.
    >
    > Thank you ... Steve Hall

    As is nearly always the case, reinstalling Firefox (and/or Thunderbird)
    is a waste of time, as nearly all problems are in the respective
    profiles, not in the program. (Incidentally, you should always specify
    the version of FF involved; for example, the Google search engine was
    not found in the profile some time in the past. The first change, for v
    1.5, was to create that folder, and the Google engine moved to the
    profile folder sometime later.)

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

    The search engine plugin for Google, for example, is now found in the
    profile, in the searchplugins folder; when you reinstall Firefox, that
    makes no change to the profile. Thus, a profile-related problem will
    still be there after a re-installation of the program.

    First thing to do is to run FF in safe mode; if Google searches work
    there, then you have a problem not with Google necessarily, but most
    likely with some other extension that is interfering. If that is the
    case, then restart FF in normal mode, and test by disabling some
    extensions and restarting, then testing Google, to see if you can find
    the culprit.

    On the other hand, if safe mode does not make Google searches to work,
    then delete the Google search engine plug-in and, then from the Search
    Engine box, find and reinstall the engine.

    Now, if that does not work, give up....
    --
    John Liebson

+ Reply to Thread