firefox won't start - Mozilla

This is a discussion on firefox won't start - Mozilla ; Hi folks I've been using firefox for a year or so now... recently it just stopped starting up. I can click on the link and firefox.exe will appear in my task managers 'processes' tab but not in 'applications', and the ...

  1. firefox won't start

    Hi folks

    I've been using firefox for a year or so now... recently it just stopped
    starting up. I can click on the link and firefox.exe will appear in my task
    managers 'processes' tab but not in 'applications', and the program just
    doesn't appear. If I wait long enough the dialog box will appear asking if I
    want to 'restore my session' or 'start a new session', which is from one of
    the add-ons. No matter which one I pick, I don't get any firefox.

    I've tried uninstalling, re-downloading, and re-installing. No joy.

    Any ideas?

    -Matt

  2. Re: firefox won't start

    Matt schrieb:
    > Hi folks
    >
    > I've been using firefox for a year or so now... recently it just stopped
    > starting up. I can click on the link and firefox.exe will appear in my task
    > managers 'processes' tab but not in 'applications', and the program just
    > doesn't appear. If I wait long enough the dialog box will appear asking if I
    > want to 'restore my session' or 'start a new session', which is from one of
    > the add-ons. No matter which one I pick, I don't get any firefox.
    >
    > I've tried uninstalling, re-downloading, and re-installing. No joy.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > -Matt

    Hi,
    the only thing I get in my mind is that you could have too many programs
    working at the same time so you have no free RAM. I had this problem
    once. You should look in the task managers right bottom. There you can
    see how much RAM the running programs need. If you see there for example
    700 M(B) and you have 512 MB of RAM that is a problem. If you close some
    programs or use RamIdle for cleaning the memory firefox shouldn't have
    starting problems. If both options don't help I don't know why you have
    this problem.

  3. Re: firefox won't start

    "Spiderman" wrote in message
    newsfSdnV6Rm6bfeIjanZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > Matt schrieb:
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> I've been using firefox for a year or so now... recently it just stopped
    >> starting up. I can click on the link and firefox.exe will appear in my
    >> task managers 'processes' tab but not in 'applications', and the program
    >> just doesn't appear. If I wait long enough the dialog box will appear
    >> asking if I want to 'restore my session' or 'start a new session', which
    >> is from one of the add-ons. No matter which one I pick, I don't get any
    >> firefox.
    >>
    >> I've tried uninstalling, re-downloading, and re-installing. No joy.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> -Matt

    > Hi,
    > the only thing I get in my mind is that you could have too many programs
    > working at the same time so you have no free RAM. I had this problem once.
    > You should look in the task managers right bottom. There you can see how
    > much RAM the running programs need. If you see there for example 700 M(B)
    > and you have 512 MB of RAM that is a problem. If you close some programs
    > or use RamIdle for cleaning the memory firefox shouldn't have starting
    > problems. If both options don't help I don't know why you have this
    > problem.

    CPU Usage was between 0% and 10%, trying to open firefox spiked it to 100%.
    "Commit Charge" remained constant at about 389M/1310M. In the 'Processes'
    tab, most of the processes have CPU usage at 00, except firefox at over 95.

    *shrugs* this has already far exceeded my n00b level.

  4. Re: firefox won't start

    Matt wrote thus:
    > Hi folks

    > I've been using firefox for a year or so now... recently it just stopped
    > starting up. I can click on the link and firefox.exe will appear in my task
    > managers 'processes' tab but not in 'applications', and the program just
    > doesn't appear. If I wait long enough the dialog box will appear asking if I
    > want to 'restore my session' or 'start a new session', which is from one of
    > the add-ons. No matter which one I pick, I don't get any firefox.

    > I've tried uninstalling, re-downloading, and re-installing. No joy.

    > Any ideas?

    > -Matt

    Have you tried starting Fx in 'Safe Mode' if so what is the outcome?

    In Windows:

    "Start -> Run" and entering

    firefox -safe-mode

    --
    Steve

    Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down
    I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.
    - Robert Orben

+ Reply to Thread