PDF Problems..... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on PDF Problems..... - Mozilla ; I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason, they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them to my hard drive. Normally I would click on the link and ...

  1. PDF Problems.....

    I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason,
    they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them to
    my hard drive.

    Normally I would click on the link and the file would automatically open
    in the firefox window.

    Can somebody help me? I read a lot of files in PDF so I'm really having
    a hard time right now not being able to read the files without saving them.

    Thanks for your help.

    John.

  2. Re: PDF Problems.....

    On 12-10-2007 10:31 CET, John composed this enchanting statement:
    > I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason,
    > they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them
    > to my hard drive.
    >
    > Normally I would click on the link and the file would automatically
    > open in the firefox window.
    >
    > Can somebody help me? I read a lot of files in PDF so I'm really
    > having a hard time right now not being able to read the files without
    > saving them.

    Verify if the view PDF browser plug-in is available. Type aboutlugins
    in the location bar.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: PDF Problems.....

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 12-10-2007 10:31 CET, John composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason,
    >> they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them
    >> to my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Normally I would click on the link and the file would automatically
    >> open in the firefox window.
    >>
    >> Can somebody help me? I read a lot of files in PDF so I'm really
    >> having a hard time right now not being able to read the files without
    >> saving them.

    > Verify if the view PDF browser plug-in is available. Type aboutlugins
    > in the location bar.

    That's weird, its not there. I dont understand that. p till a couple of
    days ago, I had no problems reading PDF files.

    Where do I get the plug in from and which one is best.

    Thanks for your help.

    John.

  4. Re: PDF Problems.....

    John schrieb:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 12-10-2007 10:31 CET, John composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason,
    >>> they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them
    >>> to my hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> Normally I would click on the link and the file would automatically
    >>> open in the firefox window.
    >>>
    >>> Can somebody help me? I read a lot of files in PDF so I'm really
    >>> having a hard time right now not being able to read the files without
    >>> saving them.

    >> Verify if the view PDF browser plug-in is available. Type
    >> aboutlugins in the location bar.
    >>

    > That's weird, its not there. I dont understand that. p till a couple of
    > days ago, I had no problems reading PDF files.
    >
    > Where do I get the plug in from and which one is best.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > John.

    Hi,
    I would recomend the "pdf download 0.9.3.1" plug-in. See here
    https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/636

    And you have to install a pdf viewer on your operating system too. For
    example eXPert PDF Reader. Direct download link:
    http://www.visagesoft.com/downloads/...spdfreader.exe

    Adobe Reader have now a high risk bug so I wouldn't use it at this time
    if you use so much the pdf format.

  5. Re: PDF Problems.....

    John wrote:
    > I've never had a problem with opening PDF files, but for some reason,
    > they have stopped working now, and I get a box asking me to save them to
    > my hard drive.
    >
    > Normally I would click on the link and the file would automatically open
    > in the firefox window.
    >
    > Can somebody help me? I read a lot of files in PDF so I'm really having
    > a hard time right now not being able to read the files without saving them.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > John.

    Two things to check. This is assuming you're using the Adobe Acrobat
    Reader plugin. If you're using a different plugin, adjust as necessary.

    First, go to Tools -> Options -> Content, and in the 'File Types' box,
    click the 'Manage' button.

    Find the 'PDF' file type, and double click on it to open the 'Change
    Action' window.

    Is the last option, 'Use this plugin: Adobe Acrobat', selected? If not
    select it and click the 'OK' button. Click the 'OK' button on the
    Options window.

    Now, open the Adobe Acrobat Reader program.

    Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Internet, and make sure that 'Display PDF
    in browser' is checked. If not place a check mark in that box. Click
    the 'OK' button, then exit the program.

    Test FF at this URL & see if it displays PDFs in the browser again.
    With the above settings, it opens in FF for me.:

    http://finaid.georgetown.edu/sample.pdf

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread