Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab - Mozilla ; I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another ...

  1. Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab

    I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have
    multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in
    one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another
    tab. Then I'll go to the other browser window, and do a google search
    there, and when I click on a result, it opens in the previous browser,
    replacing the first result tab, instead of a new tab in the 2nd
    browser. Is there any way around this?

  2. Re: Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab

    On 09/10/2007 23:49, MBD wrote with interest:
    > I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have
    > multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in
    > one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another
    > tab. Then I'll go to the other browser window, and do a google search
    > there, and when I click on a result, it opens in the previous browser,
    > replacing the first result tab, instead of a new tab in the 2nd
    > browser. Is there any way around this?

    This addon works for me.

    wtwjgc (Joe)
    http://www.localcooling.com/ref/?type=link&id=26575

  3. Re: Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab

    MBD wrote:
    > I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have
    > multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in
    > one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another
    > tab. Then I'll go to the other browser window, and do a google search
    > there, and when I click on a result, it opens in the previous browser,
    > replacing the first result tab, instead of a new tab in the 2nd
    > browser. Is there any way around this?

    i had the same problem before, it's google

    seems google changes a lot of stuff all the time for unknown reasons, in
    this case its "target=_blank" & "target=nw"
    although the pref i set for google has always been --> Results Window
    "Open search results in a new browser window"

  4. Re: Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab

    On Oct 10, 9:18 am, Redhat71 wrote:
    > MBD wrote:
    > > I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have
    > > multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in
    > > one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another
    > > tab. Then I'll go to the other browser window, and do a google search
    > > there, and when I click on a result, it opens in the previous browser,
    > > replacing the first result tab, instead of a new tab in the 2nd
    > > browser. Is there any way around this?

    > i had the same problem before, it's google
    >
    > seems google changes a lot of stuff all the time for unknown reasons, in
    > this case its "target=_blank" & "target=nw"
    > although the pref i set for google has always been --> Results Window
    > "Open search results in a new browser window"

    I have that option set (open in new browser window), yet it still
    opens in old window (tab).

  5. Re: Google search opens in old window tab instead of new tab

    "MBD" wrote in message news:1192043493.036856.127800@v3g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Oct 10, 9:18 am, Redhat71 wrote:
    >> MBD wrote:
    >> > I don't know if this is a Google or Firefox problem. I like to have
    >> > multiple instances of browser windows open. I'll do a google search in
    >> > one browser, and click on one of the results, which opens in another
    >> > tab. Then I'll go to the other browser window, and do a google search
    >> > there, and when I click on a result, it opens in the previous browser,
    >> > replacing the first result tab, instead of a new tab in the 2nd
    >> > browser. Is there any way around this?

    >> i had the same problem before, it's google
    >>
    >> seems google changes a lot of stuff all the time for unknown reasons, in
    >> this case its "target=_blank" & "target=nw"
    >> although the pref i set for google has always been --> Results Window
    >> "Open search results in a new browser window"

    > I have that option set (open in new browser window), yet it still
    > opens in old window (tab).

    What Google does is open a new window of it's own, target="nw",
    based on your Google preferences of a new window (changed to your
    Firefox options to new tab). That new tab then used for all of your clicking
    on a link from a Google search, it is rather annoying but you can use
    keyboard shortcut.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm

    You can use Ctrl+click or Ctrl+Shift+click to open in a new tab,
    either in background or foreground (there is a configuration option to
    reverse which one does which). Foreground is immediate, background
    is nice to pick each one you want to look at then view them later, rather
    than trying to go back to pick up where you left off.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,