Problem with a defective Firefox HTML file - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problem with a defective Firefox HTML file - Mozilla ; Using: Win2K +SP4 + Rollup Hi Experts :-) Up to now I thought that HTML files were simple things and now I have a huge surprise - an HTML file that has become corrupt and the data appear to be ...

  1. Problem with a defective Firefox HTML file

    Using: Win2K +SP4 + Rollup

    Hi Experts :-)

    Up to now I thought that HTML files were simple things and now I have a
    huge surprise - an HTML file that has become corrupt and the data appear
    to be missing. When I open it with Firefox, I get lines like the
    following from top to bottom of the page:

    KóÉÃj[´r�ɾiñÔÎe2B*éd¶ûPn¨—ñœ8¨6Ú ImÄTmû«‡¥´ùCF7™ëk¶Zµ[ò0˵ש/š¨xÚßmøä�ù|Ë›
    `*ÖéÈ*EÊÛ«º„…¬!£\Dyåª·Õ¾I

    I had a message from TBird, when I pasted this string in, that it should
    be sent in UTF-8, or the characters would be replaced by ?????, etc. It
    looks just like what is in the file I opened in Firefox.

    The file has subfiles: eight GIFs, four .css, and one .js. The css files
    appear to be layouts for the page e.g.

    > #footnote ol li {margin-bottom:1em;}
    > #footnote {font-size:90%;margin-top:5px}
    > /* Note1: the margin-left is to fudge that we are centering over the
    > footer which goes the width of the window, and not the width of the
    > body content

    etc.

    and

    > /* Data table visuals */
    > table.datatable thead {text-align: center; display: table-header-group; }
    > table.datatable tfoot { font-weight: bold; }

    etc.

    and

    ************************************************** ****************************
    > vudu.css: Part of the VuDu kit shared between WIB and Affiliates
    >
    > NOTE: This is a VuDu2a style sheet, font-sizes are based on

    STANDARDS MODE
    > rendering, and NOT QUIRKS MODE!
    >
    > These styles are SHARED by several platforms. WIB specific

    styles are in:
    > wibscreen.css and wibprint.css.
    > !!! Do not modify without good reason !!!

    ************************************************** ****************************
    */

    > /* General styles---------------------------------------------*/>

    body {color:#000;background-color:#FFF;margin:4px;font-style:normal;
    font-size:75%}
    > * {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
    > a, a:link, a:visited {color:#369}
    > a:hover {color:#4986FF}
    > a[name] {color:#000;} /* Mozilla overly acquisitive on the anchor tag */
    > img

    etc.

    There is a .js file with:

    > //
    >
    > //

    etc.

    In case there was some mixup, I tried to open the file with IrfanView
    but it did not recognize it as an image file.

    Any thoughts about how to fix this file or where to find the data in the
    file or in its bits?

    TIA

    RF

  2. Re: Problem with a defective Firefox HTML file

    RF has written on 10/8/2007 11:20 PM:
    > Using: Win2K +SP4 + Rollup
    >
    > Hi Experts :-)
    >
    > Up to now I thought that HTML files were simple things and now I have a
    > huge surprise - an HTML file that has become corrupt and the data appear
    > to be missing. When I open it with Firefox, I get lines like the
    > following from top to bottom of the page:

    If it's online, tell us the URL.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Patriotism is supporting your country at all times, and your government
    when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

  3. Re: Problem with a defective Firefox HTML file

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > RF has written on 10/8/2007 11:20 PM:
    >> Using: Win2K +SP4 + Rollup
    >>
    >> Hi Experts :-)
    >>
    >> Up to now I thought that HTML files were simple things and now I have
    >> a huge surprise - an HTML file that has become corrupt and the data
    >> appear to be missing. When I open it with Firefox, I get lines like
    >> the following from top to bottom of the page:
    >>

    > If it's online, tell us the URL.

    It's not online Pete and the problem has been solved.

    Thanks for your offer.

    RF

+ Reply to Thread