Firefox uploading lots of data - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox uploading lots of data - Mozilla ; I've discovered that Firefox is uploading lots of data even when I'm not actively browsing websites. According to my firewall, Comodo, up to 1 mbyte is being uploaded to various IP addresses. It's slowing my machine down considerably as the ...

  1. Firefox uploading lots of data

    I've discovered that Firefox is uploading lots of data even when I'm
    not actively browsing websites. According to my firewall, Comodo, up
    to 1 mbyte is being uploaded to various IP addresses. It's slowing my
    machine down considerably as the uploads are accompanied by a lot of
    disc activity. Can't work out what, other than Firefox, might be
    triggering this. Any ideas gratefully welcomed.

    (PS - I read in another group that Gmail might be responsible, but the
    uploads seem to occur even when my Gmail window is closed).

  2. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    Andrew wrote:
    > I've discovered that Firefox is uploading lots of data even when I'm
    > not actively browsing websites. According to my firewall, Comodo, up
    > to 1 mbyte is being uploaded to various IP addresses. It's slowing my
    > machine down considerably as the uploads are accompanied by a lot of
    > disc activity. Can't work out what, other than Firefox, might be
    > triggering this. Any ideas gratefully welcomed.
    >
    > (PS - I read in another group that Gmail might be responsible, but the
    > uploads seem to occur even when my Gmail window is closed).

    Have you checked for viruses, trojans, and spyware?

  3. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    On 22.09.2007 18:01, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Andrew to
    generate the following:? :
    > I've discovered that Firefox is uploading lots of data even when I'm
    > not actively browsing websites. According to my firewall, Comodo, up
    > to 1 mbyte is being uploaded to various IP addresses. It's slowing my
    > machine down considerably as the uploads are accompanied by a lot of
    > disc activity. Can't work out what, other than Firefox, might be
    > triggering this. Any ideas gratefully welcomed.
    >
    > (PS - I read in another group that Gmail might be responsible, but the
    > uploads seem to occur even when my Gmail window is closed).

    definitely a "No, no" re: Firefox!
    For sure, FF is probably *running* when this happens - it's how you
    connect to the internet! but it will be some *program* (aka spyware,
    adware) dialing home that is actually *sending* that data!

    What to do?? Install a couple of applications that will look through
    your files and "sniff out" any nasty stuff that shouldn't be there!
    Install all three of the following - these are the most commonly used
    (therefor well tested and found to be good).

    1) Ad-Aware download from here (free version)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

    2) SpyBot search and Destroy (free version)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

    3) AVG Rootkit finder (free version)

    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/products-.../?ver=1.1.0.42

    you are *STRONLY ADVISED* to study the pages, both for Information on
    how to install and also on how to set-up and run the applications
    (Tutorials).
    Look for the [Install] buttons - they may be rather difficult to find,
    at first glance!

    After downlaoding the apps, CLOSE your internet connection - that is, go
    OFF LINE for the following actions. This is to prevent any strange
    inter-action when installing the software!
    From wherever you saved the downloads, start the installation process.
    Best is, if you create a new folder, name it to "Security" and install
    the applications there - then you know what they are for (and where to
    find them later).
    After the installation, start any one of the apps - probably the AVG
    Rootkit finder is the best bet for a "first", as it is very fast!
    AdAware will probably need to have the Options set - go for a complete
    scan on the first run. Same goes for SpyBot... look through the Options
    and set it up to do a complete scan, first time around!
    The searches will take quite a long time (especially the first run,
    which should be set to scan the complete computer harddrive) but if you
    take a good look through the Options and settings, you will soon realise
    that a lot of files will not need scanning, after the first run!.
    When the results show, you can safely click the [delete] button. If you
    are asked if you want to create a backup first, also choose that option
    - at least as long as you are not too certain of what the program is doing!

    reg

  4. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    Andrew wrote:
    > I've discovered that Firefox is uploading lots of data even when I'm
    > not actively browsing websites. According to my firewall, Comodo, up
    > to 1 mbyte is being uploaded to various IP addresses. It's slowing my
    > machine down considerably as the uploads are accompanied by a lot of
    > disc activity. Can't work out what, other than Firefox, might be
    > triggering this. Any ideas gratefully welcomed.
    >
    > (PS - I read in another group that Gmail might be responsible, but the
    > uploads seem to occur even when my Gmail window is closed).

    what version of FF are you using? Perhaps its trying to
    update itself. Are you using any extensions? If so, then
    perhaps they're trying to update themselves.

    Take a look at your update settings: Tools, Options,
    Advanced, Update tab. Does it show automatically update?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    Many thanks for the advice chaps - much appreciated.

  6. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    On 2 Oct, 07:59, Andrew wrote:
    > Many thanks for the advice chaps - much appreciated.

    I'm still having problems with Firefox - followed all the advice above
    and still having problems with my laptop uploading data when I'm not
    accessing web pages. Firefox also seems to slow my machine down
    considerably, with very frequent - and sometimes continuous - disc
    accesses taking place when it's running.

    I'm pretty sure that Firefox (2.0.0.7 running on XP) is causing the
    problems because if I use Opera instead nothing like this happens.

    I've done thorough virus scans, checked for Rootkits, have run Adaware
    etc. and these haven't identified any problems. I've also removed the
    5 or so Firefox add-ons that I'd installed to no avail.

    Would much rather use Firefox than Opera - my online banking service
    isn't compatible with Opera and Opera also messes up the formatting of
    Gmail messages.

    Any thoughts?

  7. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    Andrew wrote:
    > On 2 Oct, 07:59, Andrew wrote:
    >> Many thanks for the advice chaps - much appreciated.

    > I'm still having problems with Firefox - followed all the advice above
    > and still having problems with my laptop uploading data when I'm not
    > accessing web pages. Firefox also seems to slow my machine down
    > considerably, with very frequent - and sometimes continuous - disc
    > accesses taking place when it's running.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that Firefox (2.0.0.7 running on XP) is causing the
    > problems because if I use Opera instead nothing like this happens.
    >
    > I've done thorough virus scans, checked for Rootkits, have run Adaware
    > etc. and these haven't identified any problems. I've also removed the
    > 5 or so Firefox add-ons that I'd installed to no avail.
    >
    > Would much rather use Firefox than Opera - my online banking service
    > isn't compatible with Opera and Opera also messes up the formatting of
    > Gmail messages.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    To verify whether or not it is FF, try using Process Explorer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx

    Start Process Explorer.

    Make sure FF is closed, check the process list in Process Explorer to
    make sure firefox.exe is not listed.

    Start FF by going to Start -> Run, then enter: firefox "about:blank"
    This will start FF with a blank page.

    Scroll down the process list, in Process Explorer, until you see
    firefox.exe. Double click on it to bring up the Properties window, then
    select the TCP/IP tab.

    If its not already selected, put a check mark in the box next to
    "Resolve addresses", at the top of that tab. This will display the host
    names of the connections, rather than the IP addresses. This makes it
    much easier to determine where the connections are going. Rather than
    having to look up the host name for each IP address yourself, Process
    Explorer will do it for you.

    Now, looking at that tab, you should see the connections made by FF.

    It is normal to see two pairs of TCP "loopback" connections within your
    system. This is FF "talking" to itself. On my machine, named 'orion',
    it looks like this:

    Protocol Local Address Remote Address State
    TCP orion:2861 orion:2862 ESTABLISHED
    TCP orion:2862 orion:2861 ESTABLISHED
    TCP orion:2863 orion:2864 ESTABLISHED
    TCP orion:2864 orion:2863 ESTABLISHED

    Note that the port numbers may be different on your system. I'm not
    sure how that assignment is handled within FF.

    Other connections will show the remote host that FF is communicating
    with, under the "Remote Address" column. With FF started as instructed
    above, there should be no other connections, than the four loopback
    connections, with one possible exception.

    If you have Phishing detection enabled & using the downloaded list,
    which is the default setting, you may see a connection to a google
    address appear in the list of connections. At least I was, until I
    turned it off by going to Tools -> Options -> Security, and UNchecking
    "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery."

    After doing that, and then restarting FF, the only connections I see
    with the blank page, are the loopback connections.

    If I then go to www.mozilla.com, I see a connection listing the remote
    address as: moz.com01.nslb.sj.mozilla.com:http

    Actually I see two connections to that address initially, then one goes
    away. The actual remote address names you see may be slightly
    different, depending on your location & routing, but they should end
    with mozilla.com.

    If you are seeing other connections, then something is amiss. I know
    you mentioned that you removed the extensions you had installed, but
    just to rule out any "left-overs" from the extensions, lets try starting
    FF in FF safe mode, and again, with a blank page:

    In Process Explorer, close the Properties window for firefox.exe.

    Close FF and then check the process list to make sure firefox.exe is no
    longer listed.

    Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -safe-mode "about:blank"

    Again, double click on firefox.exe in Process Explorer, to open the
    Properties window, and select the TCP/IP tab, if its not already showing.

    Do you see any connections, other than the loopback connections on your
    machine?

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: Firefox uploading lots of data

    On 10/9/2007 10:29 AM, Alex K. wrote:
> [...]

    > different, depending on your location & routing, but they should end
    > with mozilla.com.
    >
    > If you are seeing other connections, then something is amiss. I know
    > you mentioned that you removed the extensions you had installed, but
    > just to rule out any "left-overs" from the extensions, lets try starting
    > FF in FF safe mode, and again, with a blank page:
    >
    > In Process Explorer, close the Properties window for firefox.exe.
    >
    > Close FF and then check the process list to make sure firefox.exe is no
    > longer listed.
    >
    > Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -safe-mode "about:blank"
    >
    > Again, double click on firefox.exe in Process Explorer, to open the
    > Properties window, and select the TCP/IP tab, if its not already showing.
    >
    > Do you see any connections, other than the loopback connections on your

    Thanks for pointing out that utility. Never heard of it before, but
    I've installed it now. Glad to know about it.

    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread