Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"? - Mozilla ; Is there a way to block pop-up windows, but to allow so-called "Tooltips"? By that I mean the display of the text from an (or whatever the approved replacement is). I really don't like the in-your-face sub-windows, but I would ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?

  1. Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?


    Is there a way to block pop-up windows, but to allow so-called "Tooltips"? By
    that I mean the display of the text from an (or whatever the approved
    replacement is).

    I really don't like the in-your-face sub-windows, but I would like to see the
    text on hovering over an image, or image map.

    P. Taine

  2. Re: Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?

    P. Taine wrote:
    >
    >Is there a way to block pop-up windows, but to allow so-called "Tooltips"? By
    >that I mean the display of the text from an (or whatever the approved
    >replacement is).
    >
    >I really don't like the in-your-face sub-windows, but I would like to see the
    >text on hovering over an image, or image map.
    >
    >P. Taine


    Tooltips, ALT text, and TITLE text aren't blocked by the Firefox popup
    blocker. Take a look at
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_...Don't_Work

    The Popup ALT Attributes extension at
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1933 works well for me.
    I've never noticed the bug mentioned by the Knowledge Base article;
    that comment might be out of date.

    If this doesn't address your issue, can you give a link to a web page
    with a more specific description of the problem?

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

  3. Re: Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?

    Alan Baxter wrote:
    >The Popup ALT Attributes extension at
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1933 works well for me.
    >I've never noticed the bug mentioned by the Knowledge Base article;
    >that comment might be out of date.


    It doesn't work as well for me as I thought. I read some of the
    reviews on AMO, did some more testing, and discovered that the
    extension had been causing some problems I had attributed to Firefox
    instead of the extension. Removed the extension and the problem went
    away. Now looking for an alternative. I'll let you know if I find
    one I like.

  4. Re: Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 08:21:35 -0600, in message ,
    Alan Baxter wrote:

    > Alan Baxter wrote:
    > >The Popup ALT Attributes extension at
    > >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1933 works well for me.
    > >I've never noticed the bug mentioned by the Knowledge Base article;
    > >that comment might be out of date.

    >
    > It doesn't work as well for me as I thought. I read some of the
    > reviews on AMO, did some more testing, and discovered that the
    > extension had been causing some problems I had attributed to Firefox
    > instead of the extension. Removed the extension and the problem went
    > away. Now looking for an alternative. I'll let you know if I find
    > one I like.



    I use a bookmarklet for this. Click the bookmarklet when viewing a
    page that needs fixing.

    You can find one such bookmarklet here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1400

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph


  5. Re: Can I block pop-ups but allow "Tooltips"?

    Ralph Fox @-.invalid> wrote:
    >I use a bookmarklet for this. Click the bookmarklet when viewing a
    >page that needs fixing.
    >
    >You can find one such bookmarklet here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1400


    Thank you, Ralph. I'll check it out.

+ Reply to Thread