Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups.... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups.... - Mozilla ; Hi, I know this isnt a direct Firefox problem, but its causing me a problem to read the mozilla news groups. I use Outlook Express because its the only program I know, and am used to, with how to use ...

  1. Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    Hi, I know this isnt a direct Firefox problem, but its causing me a problem
    to read the mozilla news groups.

    I use Outlook Express because its the only program I know, and am used to,
    with how to use to read the newsgroups. I have been having problems today
    getting memory errors, which cause me to loose the news.mozilla.org
    newsgroups I have.

    I did download a news reader called Alt.Binz, but have no idea how to get it
    working.

    I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook Express memory,
    or a news reader that is easy to configure, that wont run out of memory.

    Thanks for your help

    John.

  2. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    John wrote:
    > Hi, I know this isnt a direct Firefox problem, but its causing me a problem
    > to read the mozilla news groups.
    >
    > I use Outlook Express because its the only program I know, and am used to,
    > with how to use to read the newsgroups. I have been having problems today
    > getting memory errors, which cause me to loose the news.mozilla.org
    > newsgroups I have.
    >
    > I did download a news reader called Alt.Binz, but have no idea how to get it
    > working.
    >
    > I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook Express memory,
    > or a news reader that is easy to configure, that wont run out of memory.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > John.

    you need to ask in a windows newsgroup, not a Mozilla one.
    You can find them here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "John" wrote in

    > I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook
    > Express memory, or a news reader that is easy to configure,
    > that wont run out of memory.

    Outhouse Excess question have to be referred to M$.

    To find a newsreader poke around http://newsreaders.com/

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to
    do it.

  4. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "Christopher Jahn" wrote in message
    > "John" wrote in
    >

    >> I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook
    >> Express memory, or a news reader that is easy to configure,
    >> that wont run out of memory.

    > Outhouse Excess question have to be referred to M$.
    >
    > To find a newsreader poke around http://newsreaders.com/
    >
    > --
    > }:-) Christopher Jahn
    > {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/
    >
    > What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to
    > do it.

    Hi, thanks for your replies, I'll go to the MS sites. As I mentioned,
    though, I am not very good with newsreaders, I have never had any experience
    with them. Would anybody be able to suggest one that can be set up by a
    novice?

    Thanks

    John.

  5. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "John" wrote in

    > "Christopher Jahn" wrote in message
    >> "John" wrote in
    >>

    >>> I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook
    >>> Express memory, or a news reader that is easy to configure,
    >>> that wont run out of memory.

    >> Outhouse Excess question have to be referred to M$.
    >>
    >> To find a newsreader poke around http://newsreaders.com/
    >>

    > Hi, thanks for your replies, I'll go to the MS sites. As I
    > mentioned, though, I am not very good with newsreaders, I have
    > never had any experience with them. Would anybody be able to
    > suggest one that can be set up by a novice?

    They all set up pretty easy. If you've set up OE, you should be
    able to set up any of them.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    God gets boring when you let him have his way.

  6. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    On 9/15/2007 12:15 PM John inquired:

    I am not very good with newsreaders, I have never had any
    > experience with them. Would anybody be able to suggest one that can
    > be set up by a novice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John.

    try Thunderbird, it is simple enough, though not close to the better
    ones out there. Since you claim to be a newbie, agent, slrn, hamster,
    pan and the other top newsreaders will only be problematic for you -
    they aren't intuitive to one not fully familiar with NNTP.

  7. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    John wrote:
    > "Christopher Jahn" wrote in message
    >> "John" wrote in
    >>

    >>> I wonder, does anybody know how I can increase the Outlook
    >>> Express memory, or a news reader that is easy to configure,
    >>> that wont run out of memory.

    >> Outhouse Excess question have to be referred to M$.
    >>
    >> To find a newsreader poke around http://newsreaders.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >> }:-) Christopher Jahn
    >> {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to
    >> do it.

    > Hi, thanks for your replies, I'll go to the MS sites. As I mentioned,
    > though, I am not very good with newsreaders, I have never had any experience
    > with them. Would anybody be able to suggest one that can be set up by a
    > novice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John.

    Yes, Mozilla Thunderbird will set itself up upon install, using the OE
    settings, but it is almost useless for binary newsgroups.
    It is, however, much more secure than OE, as configured by default.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "goodwin" wrote in message
    news:HLOdneBgN9zdMXHbnZ2dnUVZ_oOnnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 9/15/2007 12:15 PM John inquired:
    >
    > I am not very good with newsreaders, I have never had any
    >> experience with them. Would anybody be able to suggest one that can
    >> be set up by a novice?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John.
    >>

    > try Thunderbird, it is simple enough, though not close to the better
    > ones out there. Since you claim to be a newbie, agent, slrn, hamster,
    > pan and the other top newsreaders will only be problematic for you -
    > they aren't intuitive to one not fully familiar with NNTP.

    I am a newbie, to newsgroups, have only ever uesd them through OE. Unless I
    get explained how to use something , am not good at picking things up,
    doesnt come easy to me. Know basics, as in how to use e-mail, used to have
    Microft Word package, but now have the Works package as its easier to use.

    Shows how much I dont know about OE, went to them as you you advised, they
    gave me a lot of information about how to tweak it, very little of which I
    dont understand, but am going to try to learn.

    Setting up newsgroups through OE is like setting up mail, and it takes about
    3 mins to do. Setting up a newsreader program, from ones I've seen are
    totally different. I did try x-news as well, I got totally lost, with that
    program.

    Just this side of 50, havent been in a proper classroom for 20 years.

    Thank tou for your help.

    I will try looking at Thunderbird, I have it installed.

  9. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:zKOdnR3ZL77CQHHbnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > John wrote:
    >> "Christopher Jahn" wrote in message
    >>> "John" wrote in

    >>> Outhouse Excess question have to be referred to M$.
    >>>
    >>> To find a newsreader poke around http://newsreaders.com/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> }:-) Christopher Jahn
    >>> {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to
    >>> do it.

    >> Hi, thanks for your replies, I'll go to the MS sites. As I mentioned,
    >> though, I am not very good with newsreaders, I have never had any
    >> experience with them. Would anybody be able to suggest one that can be
    >> set up by a novice?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John.

    > Yes, Mozilla Thunderbird will set itself up upon install, using the OE
    > settings, but it is almost useless for binary newsgroups.
    > It is, however, much more secure than OE, as configured by default.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    I did get somebody on the MS forum that mentioned it might not be an OE
    problem, as there were a lot of people thnat were having similar problems
    with lost newgroups and errors with memory, have asked if they can expand,
    but not heard back from them yet.

    Thanks again for the help.

  10. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    John skrev, on 16-09-2007 11:18:

    [...]

    > I did get somebody on the MS forum that mentioned it might not be an OE
    > problem, as there were a lot of people thnat were having similar problems
    > with lost newgroups and errors with memory, have asked if they can expand,
    > but not heard back from them yet.

    I'm writing this with Thunderbird. For me, as a Linux user who has
    access to many other mailing programs and news readers, Thunderbird is
    by far and away the best of the bunch. I've given up many others in
    favor of it.

    You won't like Thunderbird at all, at first, if you use Outlook Express,
    but if you *PERSIST* (which is the key to gaining *ALL* knowledge), you
    will in the end.

    If you continue to lie there like a little doggy on its back, with its
    tummy and legs upward, nothing will ever succeed. You're "just this side
    of 50", I'm 67, going on 68

    --Tonni

    --
    Tonni Earnshaw
    email: tonni dot at dot hetnet dot nl

  11. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "John" wrote in

    > Setting up newsgroups through OE is like setting up mail, and
    > it takes about 3 mins to do. Setting up a newsreader program,
    > from ones I've seen are totally different. I did try x-news as
    > well, I got totally lost, with that program.

    Setting up news is exactly like setting up email. Same steps all
    the way.

    If Xnews was too complicated, then use Thunderbird. It's a more
    basic newsreader, and prompts you at each step of the setup.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    The rarity of genuine feeling in human society sometimes makes
    me stop in the street to watch a dog gnawing a bone.

  12. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    Tony Earnshaw wrote:
    > John skrev, on 16-09-2007 11:18:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I did get somebody on the MS forum that mentioned it might not be an
    >> OE problem, as there were a lot of people thnat were having similar
    >> problems with lost newgroups and errors with memory, have asked if
    >> they can expand, but not heard back from them yet.

    > I'm writing this with Thunderbird. For me, as a Linux user who has
    > access to many other mailing programs and news readers, Thunderbird is
    > by far and away the best of the bunch. I've given up many others in
    > favor of it.
    >
    > You won't like Thunderbird at all, at first, if you use Outlook Express,
    > but if you *PERSIST* (which is the key to gaining *ALL* knowledge), you
    > will in the end.
    >
    > If you continue to lie there like a little doggy on its back, with its
    > tummy and legs upward, nothing will ever succeed. You're "just this side
    > of 50", I'm 67, going on 68
    >
    > --Tonni

    There are a number of us here who are over 60, and not all have computer
    backgrounds, so if one WANTS to learn, it is quite possible to do it,
    and many are willing to help. Some amount of determination is
    necessary, however.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  13. Re: Memory Problms reading news.mozilla.org newsgroups....

    "Tony Earnshaw" wrote in message
    news:FdadnVZ_C8zohHDbnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > John skrev, on 16-09-2007 11:18:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I did get somebody on the MS forum that mentioned it might not be an OE
    >> problem, as there were a lot of people thnat were having similar problems
    >> with lost newgroups and errors with memory, have asked if they can
    >> expand, but not heard back from them yet.

    > I'm writing this with Thunderbird. For me, as a Linux user who has access
    > to many other mailing programs and news readers, Thunderbird is by far and
    > away the best of the bunch. I've given up many others in favor of it.
    >
    > You won't like Thunderbird at all, at first, if you use Outlook Express,
    > but if you *PERSIST* (which is the key to gaining *ALL* knowledge), you
    > will in the end.
    >
    > If you continue to lie there like a little doggy on its back, with its
    > tummy and legs upward, nothing will ever succeed. You're "just this side
    > of 50", I'm 67, going on 68
    >
    > --Tonni
    >
    > --
    > Tonni Earnshaw
    > email: tonni dot at dot hetnet dot nl
    > throwaway spamtrap address: nieuwveen-1@hetnet.nl

    Thanks for your posts, I really appreciate it. I have found out its actually
    an XP problem, something to do with virtual memory leaks (I think that's how
    they put it), which is cause by reading the Newsgroups. Its causing huge
    problems. Right now I've been redirected from Microsoft forums, to Google
    newsgroups, as its happening more on there.

    I did download Eudora today, can that read news group? Is there a newsgroup
    for Eudora? If not I might try to use my thunderbird, I've never used a web
    based e-mail client before. Liked the look of that interface.

    Will have a look at Thunderbird also, see if I can get my head around that.
    I've joined the Thunderbird newsgroup mozilla.support.thunderbird, and been
    reading their messages, but am a bit confused wit it

    > If you continue to lie there like a little doggy on its back, with its
    > tummy and legs upward, nothing will ever succeed. You're "just this side
    > of 50", I'm 67, going on 68

    One of the reasons why I came on here was to learn, which I have learnt a
    lot about Firefox.O still have loads to learn, but know more about FF that I
    did.

    Thank you.

    John.

+ Reply to Thread