Re: Connection to PayPal? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Connection to PayPal? - Mozilla ; Dr. Pastor wrote: > A program (hidden from me) trying to communicate with PayPal. > My Kerio is programmed no to allow access to PayPal. > I could not locate the "bastard" so I searched all my C drive > ...

  1. Re: Connection to PayPal?

    Dr. Pastor wrote:
    > A program (hidden from me) trying to communicate with PayPal.
    > My Kerio is programmed no to allow access to PayPal.
    > I could not locate the "bastard" so I searched all my C drive
    > for PayPal.
    > There were reference to PayPal in the following files:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Dr\Application
    > Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\lh3hqbwt.default\News\ne ws.west.earthlink-2.net\

    This is part of the TB profile. You have placed your
    profile under the directory of Application Data, which is
    part of the directory of Dr which is part of the directory
    Documents and Settings. The "News" reference, that is your
    earthlink news group server.

    > microsoft.public.multimedia.msf
    > and in the same directory:
    > sci.optics.msf
    > microsoft.public.multimedia.beta.mediaplayer.msf
    > comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.multimedia.msf
    >
    > hostinfo.dat
    >
    > The relevant pattern in the files were similar to the following:

    > Q1: What do we know about the above?

    lots

    > Q2: What the .msf files are for in Thunderbird?

    the .msf files are index files. They tell the program which
    way YOU have things are sorted, which messages YOU have
    selected to be tagged, which messages YOU have selected to
    be flagged, and so forth. They do not contain messages.
    Its the folders which contain no extension that have the
    messages, for instance inbox, sent, draft, and so forth.

    For every folder you have created within the program, there
    should be a corresponding .msf file. However, if you delete
    the folder from within the program, something files are left
    behind, such as the .msf files. If you don't see a
    corresponding folder for the .msf files, then close the
    program and delete the file. Otherwise, just leave them along.

    > Q3: What (the enormous) hostinfo file is for.

    click on File, Subscribe, and you should get a window that
    contains a lists of all the groups available within that
    news server. If there's lots of them, then that file will
    be big. If there's a small amount of them, then it will be
    small. Since you're viewing a microsoft newsgroup, then
    there will be lots of them.

    > Thanks for any guidance.

    as for a program communicating to PayPal, it wouldn't be
    Thunderbird. It must be something else on your hard drive.
    Close every openned program. Open your Firewall and remove
    every listing there for all programs. Open one program.
    Give it a temporary access to the internet. Don't give it
    all the time access. See if that program connects to PayPal.
    If not, then try another program, and so forth until you
    find the one.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: Connection to PayPal?