Copying Bookmarks.... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Copying Bookmarks.... - Mozilla ; Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to copy my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, ...

  1. Copying Bookmarks....

    Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to copy
    my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?

    Thank you.

    John.

  2. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    John wrote:
    > Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to copy
    > my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    > have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John.

    There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to use a USB memory
    stick and that way you have a place to store things as a backup. I do that
    often and use MozBackup to back up my profile which includes the Bookmarks
    It's freeware from: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

  3. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    John wrote:
    > Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to copy
    > my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    > have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John.

    You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:wdidnXv8KMfWnXHbnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > John wrote:
    >> Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to
    >> copy
    >> my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    >> have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John.

    > You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    > modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Hi, that's what I did in the end, sent them via e-mail, and they are now
    installed on my laptop.

    Thank you for your help.

    John.

  5. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to
    >> copy
    >> my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    >> have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> John.
    >>

    > You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    > modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?

    You could also use a CD.

  6. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    "EE" wrote...
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> John wrote:
    >>> Hi, I just got myself a new laptop, and was wondering I would like to
    >>> copy
    >>> my bookmarks that are on my pc, to the laptop. Can somebody help? I dont
    >>> have anything to connect my laptop to the pc, so how would I do it?
    >>>

    >> You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    >> modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?
    >>

    > You could also use a CD.

    If is rather obvious that you (John) are not taking a backup of your
    data. If you were you would not have this problem about what to do.
    What will you do *when* (not if) your HD crashes. Better learn to back up your
    personal data to a CD. I have far too much to store on a CD or even
    on a lot of DVDs, but an external drive powered up only to backup or
    restore is very cheap storage/insurance. Even better if you have two
    and store one of them at another location (offsite).
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
    I can't believe the only personal data you had was bookmarks. Switching
    to a new machine gives you a pretty good idea if you are backing up
    everything you need or not and lets you tweak your backups to be
    be better for when it may really count.
    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  7. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    news:86mdnUjqeebXIHDbnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > "EE" wrote...
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    >>> modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?
    >>>

    >> You could also use a CD.

    > If is rather obvious that you (John) are not taking a backup of your
    > data. If you were you would not have this problem about what to do.
    > What will you do *when* (not if) your HD crashes. Better learn to back
    > up your
    > personal data to a CD. I have far too much to store on a CD or even
    > on a lot of DVDs, but an external drive powered up only to backup or
    > restore is very cheap storage/insurance. Even better if you have two
    > and store one of them at another location (offsite).
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
    > I can't believe the only personal data you had was bookmarks. Switching
    > to a new machine gives you a pretty good idea if you are backing up
    > everything you need or not and lets you tweak your backups to be
    > be better for when it may really count.
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie,
    > Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    I dont use the pc for much, even though its got a lot on it, much is
    rubbish, that i'm in the processing of removing. As I have mentioned before,
    I have never been tough how to do much on a pc, just things that are basic,
    dont use it for much. I wouldnt know how to back up my stuff, havent worked
    that one out yet. Getting an external hard drive does sound the best option,
    even though I have cd roms I dont know how to use it. Taken me ages to get
    this far. I just learnt today that backup for OE the files are found in the
    Recylce Bin, why they stored there I have no idea.

    John.

  8. Re: Copying Bookmarks....

    On 17.09.2007 01:31, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "EE" wrote...
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> You could just send it as an attachment in email, if your laptop has a
    >>> modem, or other internet access. If it doesn't, WHY doesn't it?
    >>>

    >> You could also use a CD.
    >>

    > If is rather obvious that you (John) are not taking a backup of your
    > data. If you were you would not have this problem about what to do.
    > What will you do *when* (not if) your HD crashes.

    Oh, What crap that is - the (external) HD that crashed here (some months
    ago) actually *CONTAINED* all my backups....

    so much for the theory-lessons...
    now tell us something *USEFULL*

    reg

    << rest of post snipped >>