Rendering Ancient Greek - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Rendering Ancient Greek - Mozilla ; IE or the IE extension render the following page http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't FF render the page ...

  1. Rendering Ancient Greek

    IE or the IE extension render the following page

    http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm

    correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    FF render the page correctly?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  2. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    Eustace wrote:
    > IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >
    > http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >
    > correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    > UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    > FF render the page correctly?

    On my PC the page is not right with either FF or IE.

    The page has 310 HTML errors, many due to the use of invalid character
    codes, e.g. character 139.

    The page has 198 CSS errors.

    Fix the code and you will surely get better results.

  3. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    On 14.09.2007 15:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Eustace to
    generate the following:? :
    > IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >
    > http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >
    > correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    > UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    > FF render the page correctly?
    >
    > Eustace

    How does this screenshot look to you?? (FF1.5.0.9 - UTF-8 Character
    Encoding marked)

    http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8...board02il5.jpg

    As I haven't a clue as to how it *should* look, I can't say if it is
    displaying correctly!

    reg

  4. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek PS...PS

    On 14.09.2007 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 14.09.2007 15:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Eustace to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >>
    >> http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >>
    >> correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    >> UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    >> FF render the page correctly?
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > How does this screenshot look to you?? (FF1.5.0.9 - UTF-8 Character
    > Encoding marked)
    >
    > http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8...board02il5.jpg
    >
    > As I haven't a clue as to how it *should* look, I can't say if it is
    > displaying correctly!
    >
    > reg

    I notice a couple of "strange" characters in the text that I get (I also
    tried the 3 versions of Greek in the "More Encodings" selection), but
    maybe they have to do with the non-verification already mentioned!

    reg

  5. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:50 -0400, in message ,
    Eustace wrote:

    > IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >
    > http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >
    > correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    > UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    > FF render the page correctly?

    1. One thing which you have not mentioned ...

    The page requires one to have the "Athenian" font installed.
    If the "Athenian" font is not installed, then the page will
    not display correctly in any browser.

    2. Only the first two lines on the page, "*ρόκλου Ύμνοι", are
    actually Greek characters.

    The other lines are Western characters, but use the "Athenian"
    font to make them appear like Greek. Try copying and pasting
    the page into Notepad to see which characters are actually there.

    3. "Athenian" is a symbol font, not a Unicode font. I understand
    that Firefox does not support symbol fonts for Western characters.

    See this page for an explanation and a possible config change
    for this: http://www.jesus.org.uk/vault/_symbol.htm
    (I have not tested this so I cannot confirm).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  6. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    On 2007-09-14 10:55 squaredancer wrote:
    > On 14.09.2007 15:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Eustace to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >>
    >> http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >>
    >> correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    >> UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    >> FF render the page correctly?
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > How does this screenshot look to you?? (FF1.5.0.9 - UTF-8 Character
    > Encoding marked)
    >
    > http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8...board02il5.jpg
    >
    > As I haven't a clue as to how it *should* look, I can't say if it is
    > displaying correctly!
    >
    > reg

    No, that's how it should look:

    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_ba...ry/Proclus.jpg

    (FF 2.0.0.6, IE Tab 1.3.3, - UTF-8)

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  7. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    On 2007-09-14 16:29 Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:50 -0400, in message ,
    > Eustace wrote:
    >
    >> IE or the IE extension render the following page
    >>
    >> http://www.astro.gr/arxaiaKeimena/ProclusHymni1-7.htm
    >>
    >> correctly. FF over here doesn't, though the page code says that is is
    >> UTF-8 - only the first 2 title lines are rendered correctly. Why can't
    >> FF render the page correctly?

    > 1. One thing which you have not mentioned ...
    >
    > The page requires one to have the "Athenian" font installed.
    > If the "Athenian" font is not installed, then the page will
    > not display correctly in any browser.

    Yes, I do have the Athenian font.

    > 2. Only the first two lines on the page, "*ρόκλου Ύμνοι", are
    > actually Greek characters.

    Actually, the first 2 lines are wrong: I think they have used Modern
    Greek characters for them because Ύμνοι (hymns), is Modern Greek,
    because it uses only one diacritical, an acute. In Ancient Greek there
    should be 2 diactiticals, a rough breathing sign *and* an acute,
    like this:†††† ††††ὕμνος† (hymn, with the first letter is lowercase,
    because I couldn't find a uppercase one to copy). I hadn't observed this
    when I wrote my earlier message.

    > The other lines are Western characters, but use the "Athenian"
    > font to make them appear like Greek. Try copying and pasting
    > the page into Notepad to see which characters are actually there.
    >

    > 3. "Athenian" is a symbol font, not a Unicode font. I understand
    > that Firefox does not support symbol fonts for Western characters.
    >
    > See this page for an explanation and a possible config change
    > for this: http://www.jesus.org.uk/vault/_symbol.htm
    > (I have not tested this so I cannot confirm).

    I am wondering what side-effects changing the fontEncoding.Properties
    file might have... I'd rather leave it alone, and use the IE Tab
    extension on such cases. After all, in the future more and more of such
    pages will be using Unicode fonts, right?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  8. Re: Rendering Ancient Greek

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:30:31 -0400, in message <_tudnWN-IZtmQHbbnZ2dnUVZ_uCinZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    Eustace wrote:

    > On 2007-09-14 16:29 Ralph Fox wrote:

    --snippage--

    > > 3. "Athenian" is a symbol font, not a Unicode font. I understand
    > > that Firefox does not support symbol fonts for Western characters.
    > >
    > > See this page for an explanation and a possible config change
    > > for this: http://www.jesus.org.uk/vault/_symbol.htm
    > > (I have not tested this so I cannot confirm).

    > I am wondering what side-effects changing the fontEncoding.Properties
    > file might have... I'd rather leave it alone, and use the IE Tab
    > extension on such cases.

    As I read it, there is nothing to lose by changing the setting.
    Symbol fonts are not working anyway. And you could always change
    it back -- make a backup of the file.

    I'm not familiar enough with this stuff to know whether the line
    "encoding.symbol.ttf = windows-1252" would fix the case you raised.
    For this perhaps one would need to add a line
    "encoding.athenian.ttf = windows-1252".

    > After all, in the future more and more of such
    > pages will be using Unicode fonts, right?

    True, more and more pages will be using Unicode fonts.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread