Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different - Mozilla ; I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window asking whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I wanted to restore the ...

  1. Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window asking
    whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I wanted to
    restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it starting with
    my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux positions for
    the buttons are in opposite order. Why?

    Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?

    I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    long time.

    --
    Graham P Davis
    Bracknell, Berks., UK

  2. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > [...] MS and Linux positions for
    > the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >
    > Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    > Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?

    I think the reason is being compatible with graphic environments of
    these systems. Just look at gedit application on linux.

    --
    Wodny
    Marcin Szewczyk

  3. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    > Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window asking
    > whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I wanted to
    > restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it starting with
    > my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux positions for
    > the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >
    > Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    > Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?
    >
    > I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    > long time.

    The situation is the same between Windows and Mac OS as well. I just
    got used to reading the captions on the buttons before clicking them.

  4. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    > Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window asking
    > whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I wanted to
    > restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it starting with
    > my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux positions for
    > the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >
    > Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    > Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?
    >
    > I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    > long time.

    The first, just to keep people who use both versions on their toes.
    Note ALWAYS READ THE DIALOG BOXES!
    The second, because conventions vary between the two OS versions, and FF
    wants to maintain the 'standard'.

    Fun, isn't it?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Graham P Davis wrote:
    >> I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    >> Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window
    >> asking whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I
    >> wanted to restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it
    >> starting with my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux
    >> positions for the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >>
    >> Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    >> Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?
    >>
    >> I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    >> long time.
    >>

    > The first, just to keep people who use both versions on their toes.
    > Note ALWAYS READ THE DIALOG BOXES!

    That's a revolutionary idea - much like "if all else fails, read the
    instructions". Problem occurred through booting a machine whilst watching
    TV and hence having the wrong specs on and, because I knew which button to
    click without changing specs, getting caught out. Shan't make that mistake
    again - I wish!

    > The second, because conventions vary between the two OS versions, and FF
    > wants to maintain the 'standard'.
    >
    > Fun, isn't it?

    Not much. Last trouble I had with the difference was in this newsgroup a
    year or so ago when I was told that, because I'd said that I changed
    settings from within the "edit" menu, I'd got a non-standard version of
    Firefox and so couldn't be helped and should raise the problem with the
    suppliers - SUSE.

    Trying to abide by several different standards seems a recipe for disaster.
    Surely it must make any code-changes slower to produce and also increase
    the risk of errors?

    --
    Graham P Davis
    Bracknell, Berks., UK
    Send e-mails to "newsman" as mails to "newsboy" are ignored.

  6. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Graham P Davis wrote:
    >>> I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    >>> Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window
    >>> asking whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I
    >>> wanted to restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it
    >>> starting with my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux
    >>> positions for the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >>>
    >>> Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    >>> Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    >>> long time.
    >>>

    >> The first, just to keep people who use both versions on their toes.
    >> Note ALWAYS READ THE DIALOG BOXES!

    > That's a revolutionary idea - much like "if all else fails, read the
    > instructions". Problem occurred through booting a machine whilst watching
    > TV and hence having the wrong specs on and, because I knew which button to
    > click without changing specs, getting caught out. Shan't make that mistake
    > again - I wish!
    >
    >> The second, because conventions vary between the two OS versions, and FF
    >> wants to maintain the 'standard'.
    >>
    >> Fun, isn't it?
    >>

    > Not much. Last trouble I had with the difference was in this newsgroup a
    > year or so ago when I was told that, because I'd said that I changed
    > settings from within the "edit" menu, I'd got a non-standard version of
    > Firefox and so couldn't be helped and should raise the problem with the
    > suppliers - SUSE.

    Sounds like someone didn't know what they were talking about.

    > Trying to abide by several different standards seems a recipe for disaster.
    > Surely it must make any code-changes slower to produce and also increase
    > the risk of errors?

    Not necessarily.

    In this instance, only the menu location changes, the underlying code
    that implements the function, doesn't necessarily change, other than
    what might be required for OS-specific reasons. But then, you have to
    deal with that anyway, even if the menu location stayed the same.

    The menu item simply provides a "shortcut" or "bookmark", so to speak,
    to the code. Just as having a shortcut on your desktop, or an entry in
    your bookmarks, is just a pointer to the actual file or web page. It
    doesn't contain the actual contents of the referenced file or page, it
    just says 'go to this location'. The menu item is the same way, it just
    tells the program to 'go to this function'.

    The actual code that is implemented is the same, whether its referenced
    from Edit -> Preferences, Tools -> Options, or even a new menu item,
    labeled 'Configuration'. The name or location in the menu structure has
    no effect on the code that actually implements a particular function. A
    programmer could reference it from anywhere in the user interface,
    without affecting the code that is called.

    Any changes to a particular function, take place in the code that is
    implemented for that function, not at the code for the menu item.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Linux and MS versions of Firefox are different

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Graham P Davis wrote:
    >>> I've recently fallen foul of one of the differences between Windows and
    >>> Linux versions of Firefox. When restarting Firefox, I got the window
    >>> asking whether I wanted to restore the last session or start anew. I
    >>> wanted to restore the session and hit the usual button, only to find it
    >>> starting with my home page. I found the reason was that the MS and Linux
    >>> positions for the buttons are in opposite order. Why?
    >>>
    >>> Other differences are that in order to change the Firefox settings in
    >>> Windows you go to "tools" but to "edit" in Linux. Again, why?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using 2.0.0.6 on both systems but this problem has been around for a
    >>> long time.
    >>>

    >> The first, just to keep people who use both versions on their toes.
    >> Note ALWAYS READ THE DIALOG BOXES!

    > That's a revolutionary idea - much like "if all else fails, read the
    > instructions". Problem occurred through booting a machine whilst watching
    > TV and hence having the wrong specs on and, because I knew which button to
    > click without changing specs, getting caught out. Shan't make that mistake
    > again - I wish!

    Well, at least you didn't delete something by mistake. My wife is a
    really bad case of not reading (or not understanding) dialog box
    messages. Now she just calls me to come look. Better than clicking the
    wrong box and finding the firewall has cut her off from the internet.
    That HAS happened.

    >> The second, because conventions vary between the two OS versions, and FF
    >> wants to maintain the 'standard'.
    >>
    >> Fun, isn't it?
    >>

    > Not much. Last trouble I had with the difference was in this newsgroup a
    > year or so ago when I was told that, because I'd said that I changed
    > settings from within the "edit" menu, I'd got a non-standard version of
    > Firefox and so couldn't be helped and should raise the problem with the
    > suppliers - SUSE.
    >
    > Trying to abide by several different standards seems a recipe for disaster.
    > Surely it must make any code-changes slower to produce and also increase
    > the risk of errors?

    Yes, but avid Unix and Mac fans wouldn't like doing it the Microsoft
    way, and MS folks probably wouldn't like it the Mac way, etc. You can't
    please everyone.
    Probably an option to use Windows standard or Mac, or Unix would be the
    best approach, but more code...

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread