MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command - Mozilla

This is a discussion on MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command - Mozilla ; On windows I create a shorcut. How do I do it on the MAC so I get my nice easy one click aceess? I called Apple Support and asked how to do a unix script that could be executed and ...

  1. MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    On windows I create a shorcut. How do I do it on the MAC so I get my
    nice easy one click aceess?

    I called Apple Support and asked how to do a unix script that could be
    executed and they saids that was way over there head.

  2. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    As far as I know this is my install location
    DISK IMAGE /Users/garyjohnson/Desktop/Firefox 2.0.06.dmg/

    NAME and Extension Firefox.app

    Here is where FF put its files
    /Library/Application Support/Firefox

  3. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    This shows what does ot work fro terminal

    Welcome to Darwin!
    gary-johnsons-computer:~ garyjohnson$ /Applications/
    Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -ProfileManager
    -bash: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox: No such file
    or directory
    gary-johnsons-computer:~/Desktop garyjohnson$ pwd
    /Users/garyjohnson/Desktop
    gary-johnsons-computer:~/Desktop garyjohnson$ Firefox.app
    -bash: Firefox.app: command not found
    gary-johnsons-computer:~/Desktop garyjohnson$ cd ..
    gary-johnsons-computer:~ garyjohnson$ pwd
    /Users/garyjohnson
    gary-johnsons-computer:~ garyjohnson$ ls
    CBSOURCE Movies jic
    CookBook Music out1.txt
    Desktop Pictures out2.txt
    Documents Public test@cookdotcom
    FTCookBook Send Registration testgj53run
    FromFilePicker Sites
    Library gototemp
    gary-johnsons-computer:~ garyjohnson$ /Desktop/Firefox.app
    -bash: /Desktop/Firefox.app: No such file or directory
    gary-johnsons-computer:~ garyjohnson$

  4. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    gmgj wrote:
    > On windows I create a shorcut. How do I do it on the MAC so I get my
    > nice easy one click aceess?
    >
    > I called Apple Support and asked how to do a unix script that could be
    > executed and they saids that was way over there head.

    You need to use the Terminal to do that. Enter the path to Firefox,
    then the Firefox package path and then the command.

    /Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P

  5. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    So how do I set this up as a shortcut or macro or script file or
    whatever so that I can click on it and get one click access to it?

    > You need to use the Terminal to do that. Enter the path to Firefox,
    > then the Firefox package path and then the command.
    >
    > /Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P

  6. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    I have tried shell scripts with commands like this to no avail

    #!/bin/bash
    cd /
    cd Applications
    #Firefox.app -ProfileManager
    #Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P
    cd Utilities
    Terminal.app

    I tried a workflow on a copies of the profile.ini file. The idea is
    to create profiles by starting Firefox from Terminal and then copy
    over the profile.ini in the
    Application Support/Firefox directory with an ini file set for a
    profile that you want, and then launch Firefox

    EXAMPLE ini file

    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

    [Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/629pvwpy.default

    [Profile1]
    Name=Test
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/57jclncg.Test
    Default=1

    Where I set the Default=1 for the profile I want to start with. I
    would not let me replace the existing profle.ini. Still looking for a
    way to do this.

  7. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    gmgj wrote:
    > I have tried shell scripts with commands like this to no avail
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    > cd /
    > cd Applications
    > #Firefox.app -ProfileManager
    > #Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P
    > cd Utilities
    > Terminal.app
    >

    > I tried a workflow on a copies of the profile.ini file. The idea is
    > to create profiles by starting Firefox from Terminal and then copy
    > over the profile.ini in the
    > Application Support/Firefox directory with an ini file set for a
    > profile that you want, and then launch Firefox
    >
    > EXAMPLE ini file
    >
    > [General]
    > StartWithLastProfile=1
    >
    > [Profile0]
    > Name=default
    > IsRelative=1
    > Path=Profiles/629pvwpy.default
    >

    > [Profile1]
    > Name=Test
    > IsRelative=1
    > Path=Profiles/57jclncg.Test
    > Default=1
    >
    > Where I set the Default=1 for the profile I want to start with. I
    > would not let me replace the existing profle.ini. Still looking for a
    > way to do this.

    Why not just use the profile manager? Instructions for accessing it are
    on this page: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

  8. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    What I have seen is that to start ProfileManager requires me to start
    terminal to start Firefox with a command line argument. I was hoping
    I could have a one click button to start Firefox with a)
    ProfileManager b) separate profiles as in -p ProfileName like
    TestSandbox

  9. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    I think my answer lies somewhere in understanding the info.plist , the
    firefox and the run-mozilla.sh files. Unfortunately for me, I am not
    a MAC developer.

    My info.plist

    www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

    CFBundleDevelopmentRegion
    English
    CFBundleDocumentTypes

    CFBundleTypeExtensions

    html
    htm
    shtml
    CFBundleExecutable
    firefox-bin
    CFBundleGetInfoString
    Firefox 2.0.0.7, 1998-2007 Contributors
    CFBundleIconFile
    firefox
    CFBundleIdentifier
    org.mozilla.firefox
    CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion
    6.0
    CFBundleName
    Firefox
    CFBundlePackageType
    APPL

    ===========
    my firefox file

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
    # Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1

    moz_pis_startstop_scripts()
    {
    MOZ_USER_DIR=".mozilla/firefox"
    # MOZ_PIS_ is the name space for "Mozilla Plugable Init Scripts"
    # These variables and there meaning are specified in
    # mozilla/xpfe/bootstrap/init.d/README
    MOZ_PIS_API=2
    MOZ_PIS_MOZBINDIR="${dist_bin}"
    MOZ_PIS_SESSION_PID="$$"
    MOZ_PIS_USER_DIR="${MOZ_USER_DIR}"
    export MOZ_PIS_API MOZ_PIS_MOZBINDIR MOZ_PIS_SESSION_PID
    MOZ_PIS_USER_DIR

    case "${1}" in
    "start")
    for curr_pis in "${dist_bin}/init.d"/S* "${HOME}/${MOZ_USER_DIR}/
    init.d"/S* ; do
    if [ -x "${curr_pis}" ] ; then
    case "${curr_pis}" in
    *.sh) . "${curr_pis}" ;;
    *) "${curr_pis}" "start" ;;
    esac
    fi
    done

    ===================
    my run-mozilla.sh

    }
    ################################################## ########################
    ##
    ## Command line arg defaults
    ##
    moz_debug=0
    moz_debugger=""
    #
    ##
    ## Parse the command line
    ##
    while [ $# -gt 0 ]
    do
    case $1 in
    -g | --debug)
    moz_debug=1
    shift
    ;;
    -d | --debugger)
    moz_debugger=$2;
    if [ "${moz_debugger}" != "" ]; then
    shift 2
    else
    echo "-d requires an argument"
    exit 1
    fi
    ;;
    *)

    Error: Warning: unrecognized command line flag -psn_0_5767169

    Source File: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsBrowserContentHandler.js
    Line: 706

  10. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    Real progress courtesy of Stephen Rider

    Open Terminal.

    File -> Save As...

    Save as "Firefox Profile Manager" or whatever
    the end of this)

    Choose "Where". Desktop is easy to find. Move it later.....

    Under "Execute this Command", put your command line in there.
    { You might add a ";exit" to the end of it to auto-close the
    Terminal window.

    I have not got the exit to work yet; maybe a Mac terminal pro can help
    with this}

    }

    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P;exit
    Save.

    Yeah!

  11. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    I called Apple Support, looking for a way to make exit work, however,
    after trying 4 different ways to get it to work, without any luck,
    they said they did not support terminal.

  12. Re: MAC ? start Firefox -P profile manager in a script or command

    Yeah, Whoopie, I am so excited, thanks to Niel from Apple Terminal
    Discussions

    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -
    ProfileManager;killall Terminal

+ Reply to Thread