Adverts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adverts - Mozilla ; While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at and the linked article "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at I remembered a question I have been meaning to ask ...

  1. Adverts

    While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the
    wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at
    and the linked article
    "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at
    I remembered a question I
    have been meaning to ask for some time.

    I'm one of Ad Block Plus extension users who the above-mentioned web
    designer finds so annoying, but sometimes it would be useful to enable
    adverts on a page to be displayed temporarily in order to get a feel for
    what the page/site looks for 'ordinary' users.

    Is the best/easiest way to achieve this to use the IE Tab extension, or
    is there another way?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Adverts

    Herb skrev, on 13-09-2007 11:36:

    > While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the
    > wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at
    > and the linked article
    > "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at
    > I remembered a question I
    > have been meaning to ask for some time.
    >
    > I'm one of Ad Block Plus extension users who the above-mentioned web
    > designer finds so annoying, but sometimes it would be useful to enable
    > adverts on a page to be displayed temporarily in order to get a feel for
    > what the page/site looks for 'ordinary' users.
    >
    > Is the best/easiest way to achieve this to use the IE Tab extension, or
    > is there another way?

    Hmmm ... there's no IE Tab extension for Linux users (I'm one).

    I used to use the ad-blocking Privoxy (earlier Junkbusters) HTTP proxy,
    but found Ad Block easier to use, so I switched Privoxy off.

    You can get it for Windows, too (http://www.privoxy.org/), configure it
    (it comes mostly pre-configured, like Ad Block), run it on your PC and
    switch between proxy and no-proxy in your configuration.

    --Tonni

    --
    Tonni Earnshaw
    email: tonni dot at dot hetnet dot nl

  3. Re: Adverts

    Herb wrote:
    > While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the
    > wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at
    > and the linked article
    > "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at
    > I remembered a question I
    > have been meaning to ask for some time.
    >
    > I'm one of Ad Block Plus extension users who the above-mentioned web
    > designer finds so annoying, but sometimes it would be useful to enable
    > adverts on a page to be displayed temporarily in order to get a feel for
    > what the page/site looks for 'ordinary' users.
    >
    > Is the best/easiest way to achieve this to use the IE Tab extension, or
    > is there another way?

    Hi,

    The Ad Block plus extension can be disabled.

    Within Firefox select Tools | Add-ons, select the preferences of the
    "AdBlock Plus" extension, then Options untick "Enable AdBlock Plus"

    or

    by its toolbar icon. From the Firefox View menu select Toolbar > Customise

    drag the ABP red icon to a free space on a toolbar, click Done

    from your new icon select the drop down menu/arrow and untick "Enable
    AdBlock Plus"

    then reload the page.

    Ian

  4. Re: Adverts

    Ian wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the
    >> wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at
    >> and the linked article
    >> "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at
    >> I remembered a question I
    >> have been meaning to ask for some time.
    >>
    >> I'm one of Ad Block Plus extension users who the above-mentioned web
    >> designer finds so annoying, but sometimes it would be useful to enable
    >> adverts on a page to be displayed temporarily in order to get a feel for
    >> what the page/site looks for 'ordinary' users.
    >>
    >> Is the best/easiest way to achieve this to use the IE Tab extension, or
    >> is there another way?
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > The Ad Block plus extension can be disabled.
    >
    > Within Firefox select Tools | Add-ons, select the preferences of the
    > "AdBlock Plus" extension, then Options untick "Enable AdBlock Plus"
    >
    > or
    >
    > by its toolbar icon. From the Firefox View menu select Toolbar > Customise
    >
    > drag the ABP red icon to a free space on a toolbar, click Done
    >
    > from your new icon select the drop down menu/arrow and untick "Enable
    > AdBlock Plus"
    >
    > then reload the page.

    Or, if he has positioned the ABP icon on his status bar and not his
    toolbar, right-clicking it there offers an enable/disable toggle.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Adverts

    On 13.09.2007 19:24 UK Time, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Ian wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>> While reading the article entitled "We caught Microsoft asleep at the
    >>> wheel", celebrating 400 million FF downloads at
    >>> and the linked
    >>> article "Boycott ad-blocking Firefox, urges furious web designer" at
    >>> I remembered a question I
    >>> have been meaning to ask for some time.
    >>>
    >>> I'm one of Ad Block Plus extension users who the above-mentioned web
    >>> designer finds so annoying, but sometimes it would be useful to
    >>> enable adverts on a page to be displayed temporarily in order to get
    >>> a feel for what the page/site looks for 'ordinary' users.
    >>>
    >>> Is the best/easiest way to achieve this to use the IE Tab extension,
    >>> or is there another way?
    >>>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The Ad Block plus extension can be disabled.
    >>
    >> Within Firefox select Tools | Add-ons, select the preferences of the
    >> "AdBlock Plus" extension, then Options untick "Enable AdBlock Plus"
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> by its toolbar icon. From the Firefox View menu select Toolbar >
    >> Customise
    >>
    >> drag the ABP red icon to a free space on a toolbar, click Done
    >>
    >> from your new icon select the drop down menu/arrow and untick "Enable
    >> AdBlock Plus"
    >>
    >> then reload the page.

    > Or, if he has positioned the ABP icon on his status bar and not his
    > toolbar, right-clicking it there offers an enable/disable toggle.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    It seems that switching to IE mode via the IE Tab button might indeed be
    the quickest way of doing it, i.e. it's a single click.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: Adverts

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.09.2007 19:24 UK Time, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Ian wrote:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> The Ad Block plus extension can be disabled.
    >>>
    >>> Within Firefox select Tools | Add-ons, select the preferences of the
    >>> "AdBlock Plus" extension, then Options untick "Enable AdBlock Plus"
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> by its toolbar icon. From the Firefox View menu select Toolbar >
    >>> Customise
    >>>
    >>> drag the ABP red icon to a free space on a toolbar, click Done
    >>>
    >>> from your new icon select the drop down menu/arrow and untick "Enable
    >>> AdBlock Plus"
    >>>
    >>> then reload the page.

    >> Or, if he has positioned the ABP icon on his status bar and not his
    >> toolbar, right-clicking it there offers an enable/disable toggle.
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    > It seems that switching to IE mode via the IE Tab button might indeed be
    > the quickest way of doing it, i.e. it's a single click.

    Using IE to save *one* click. Now *there's* a helluva trade.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  7. Re: Adverts

    On 15.09.2007 19:35 UK Time, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Or, if he has positioned the ABP icon on his status bar and not his
    >>> toolbar, right-clicking it there offers an enable/disable toggle.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the suggestions.
    >>
    >> It seems that switching to IE mode via the IE Tab button might indeed
    >> be the quickest way of doing it, i.e. it's a single click.

    > Using IE to save *one* click. Now *there's* a helluva trade.

    *Two* clicks, actually, if my count is right :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread