OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work (for me?) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work (for me?) - Mozilla ; Hello everyone, I would like to use Firefox's autoupdate for Searchplugins with an Opensearch-Plugin. To do that, I followed Matt Nordhoffs example in http://www.mattnordhoff.com/mozilla/...xml?plainxml=1 (Thread: http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...457ea9e4284a11 ) My code looks like this: 7 http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src ms:UpdateUrl> http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB- OPAC.png https://opacplus.bsb-muenchen.de/ Unfortunately, Firefox ...

  1. OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work (for me?)

    )

    My code looks like this:
    7
    http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src ms:UpdateUrl>
    http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-
    OPAC.png

    https://opacplus.bsb-muenchen.de/

    Unfortunately, Firefox does not accept the namespace, saying "Unable
    to download Plugin" after clicking the autodiscovery-icon. In the
    error console, Firefox complains: "Prefix not bound to namespace".

    Can anybody tell me what's wrong?
    The whole plugin is downloadable under the URL
    http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src . The
    Autodiscovery page is http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/
    (There it will work now, because I commented out the cited lines
    temporarily, but I would really like to have them active)

    Thanks for any hints.

    Andreas

  2. Re: OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work(for me?)

    Andreas_Kahl@gmx.net wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I would like to use Firefox's autoupdate for Searchplugins with an
    > Opensearch-Plugin.
    > To do that, I followed Matt Nordhoffs example in
    > http://www.mattnordhoff.com/mozilla/...xml?plainxml=1
    > )
    >
    > My code looks like this:
    > 7
    > http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src > ms:UpdateUrl>
    > http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-
    > OPAC.png

    > https://opacplus.bsb-muenchen.de/
    >
    > Unfortunately, Firefox does not accept the namespace, saying "Unable
    > to download Plugin" after clicking the autodiscovery-icon. In the
    > error console, Firefox complains: "Prefix not bound to namespace".
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what's wrong?
    > The whole plugin is downloadable under the URL
    > http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src . The
    > Autodiscovery page is http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/
    > (There it will work now, because I commented out the cited lines
    > temporarily, but I would really like to have them active)
    >
    > Thanks for any hints.
    >
    > Andreas

    Note: I'm not an expert at XML at all, I know *just enough* to be
    dangerous. :-) However, based on earlier research on namespaces, I
    offer the following.

    Looking at the source of the plugin at the link you gave:
    http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~kahlan/BSB-OPAC/BSB-OPAC.src

    Shows this, for the namespace declarations:

    xmlns:moz="http://www.mozilla.org/2006/browser/search/">

    However, your code is using the 'ms' prefix, from Matt's example:

    7

    Since the 'ms' prefix is not bound to a namespace, you will get an
    error. However, I noticed that the prefix 'moz' is declared in the
    plugin source:

    xmlns:moz="http://www.mozilla.org/2006/browser/search/"

    but it is not used in the code.

    My suggestion is to change all occurrences of 'ms:' to 'moz:', so that,
    as an example:

    7

    becomes:

    7

    For more information about namespaces, you can see this page:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work (for me?)

    > My suggestion is to change all occurrences of 'ms:' to 'moz:', so that,
    > as an example:
    >
    > 7
    >
    > becomes:
    >
    > 7
    >
    > For more information about namespaces, you can see this page:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Alex K.

    Thank you very much, Alex, that helped and works now.

    Regards
    Andreas

  4. Re: OpenSearch-Plugin: Autoupdate with ms-Namespace does not work(for me?)

    Andreas_Kahl@gmx.net wrote:
    >> My suggestion is to change all occurrences of 'ms:' to 'moz:', so that,
    >> as an example:
    >>
    >> 7
    >>
    >> becomes:
    >>
    >> 7
    >>
    >> For more information about namespaces, you can see this page:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alex K.

    > Thank you very much, Alex, that helped and works now.
    >
    > Regards
    > Andreas

    You're very welcome.

    Glad we got it sorted out.