Is it just me? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is it just me? - Mozilla ; Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4) Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as there's no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is released! Along with FF randomly hogging ...

  1. Is it just me?

    Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)

    Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as there's
    no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is
    released!

    Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major major
    disappointment!

    Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!

    any ideas

    thanks

    harry

  2. Re: Is it just me?

    harry wrote:
    > Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)
    >
    > Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as there's
    > no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is
    > released!
    >
    > Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major major
    > disappointment!
    >
    > Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!
    >
    > any ideas
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > harry

    Do you mean plugins (as in Acrobat, Flash, Java, ...) or extensions?

    When I update Firefox, my plugins usually stay functional. (They are _not_
    installed under the Fx install directory, except the "nullplugin" which comes
    with the distro.) You can see which plugins are installed and which of them
    are enabled by typing aboutlugins in the URL bar.

    My extensions are sometimes seen as "incompatible" but there is a workaround:
    the compatibility check can be disabled by toggling the about:config
    preference "extensions.checkCompatibility" to _false_.

    Note:
    - In most cases, an extension which works with Fx 2.0.0.0 will work with
    2.0.0.x for all x. This is not guaranteed, however.
    - Toggling this pref disables the check; if the extension is _actually_
    incompatible at the code level, anything can happen: usually it just stops
    working. Sometimes it causes a hang or a crash. In rare cases, any weird thing
    can happen.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Canonical, adj.:
    The usual or standard state or manner of something. A true

  3. Re: Is it just me?

    Thanks for answering so quick Tony, I did actually mean extensions!

    Tried that setting and doesn't seem to make any difference - if I open up
    the add-ons window & click any of the "options" buttons (IE Tab, Tab Mix
    Plus, JSView etc...) no dialog appears! no errors just keeps beeping as
    though it thinks a modal dialog box is being displayed if I click the
    "options" button again!

    any thoughts?

    cheers

    "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    news:QMadnax47v8_5ETbnZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > harry wrote:
    > > Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)
    > >
    > > Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as

    there's
    > > no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is
    > > released!
    > >
    > > Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major major
    > > disappointment!
    > >
    > > Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!
    > >
    > > any ideas
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > harry
    > >

    > Do you mean plugins (as in Acrobat, Flash, Java, ...) or extensions?
    >
    > When I update Firefox, my plugins usually stay functional. (They are _not_
    > installed under the Fx install directory, except the "nullplugin" which

    comes
    > with the distro.) You can see which plugins are installed and which of

    them
    > are enabled by typing aboutlugins in the URL bar.
    >
    > My extensions are sometimes seen as "incompatible" but there is a

    workaround:
    > the compatibility check can be disabled by toggling the about:config
    > preference "extensions.checkCompatibility" to _false_.
    >
    > Note:
    > - In most cases, an extension which works with Fx 2.0.0.0 will work with
    > 2.0.0.x for all x. This is not guaranteed, however.
    > - Toggling this pref disables the check; if the extension is _actually_
    > incompatible at the code level, anything can happen: usually it just stops
    > working. Sometimes it causes a hang or a crash. In rare cases, any weird

    thing
    > can happen.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    > --
    > Canonical, adj.:
    > The usual or standard state or manner of something. A true
    > story: One Bob Sjoberg, new at the MIT AI Lab, expressed some
    > annoyance at the use of jargon. Over his loud objections, we made a
    > point of using jargon as much as possible in his presence, and
    > eventually it began to sink in. Finally, in one conversation, he used
    > the word "canonical" in jargon-like fashion without thinking.
    > Steele: "Aha! We've finally got you talking jargon too!"
    > Stallman: "What did he say?"
    > Steele: "He just used `canonical' in the canonical way."

  4. Re: Is it just me?

    harry wrote:
    > Thanks for answering so quick Tony, I did actually mean extensions!
    >
    > Tried that setting and doesn't seem to make any difference - if I open up
    > the add-ons window & click any of the "options" buttons (IE Tab, Tab Mix
    > Plus, JSView etc...) no dialog appears! no errors just keeps beeping as
    > though it thinks a modal dialog box is being displayed if I click the
    > "options" button again!
    >
    > any thoughts?
    >
    > cheers

    1. Any add-on only starts working after you restart the browser (for instance
    via Tools => Add-ons => Installation => Restart Firefox). (IIUC, the
    "Installation" tab only appears if there are add-ons which have been
    installed, uninstalled, enabled, disabled, upgraded, or if a different theme
    has been selected.)

    2. Some extensions have options, others don't. Tab Mix Plus definitely has
    some. They are accessible via any of

    Tools => Tab Mix Plus Options

    Tools => Options => Tabs => Tab Mix Plus Options

    Tools => Add-ons => Extensions => Tab Mix Plus => Preferences

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    SECOND SOLDIER: It could be carried by an African swallow!
    FIRST SOLDIER: Oh yes! An African swallow maybe ... but not a European

  5. Re: Is it just me?

    harry wrote:
    > Thanks for answering so quick Tony, I did actually mean extensions!
    >
    > Tried that setting and doesn't seem to make any difference - if I open up
    > the add-ons window & click any of the "options" buttons (IE Tab, Tab Mix
    > Plus, JSView etc...) no dialog appears! no errors just keeps beeping as
    > though it thinks a modal dialog box is being displayed if I click the
    > "options" button again!
    >
    > any thoughts?
    >
    > cheers
    >

    > "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    > news:QMadnax47v8_5ETbnZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> harry wrote:
    >>> Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as

    > there's
    >>> no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is
    >>> released!
    >>>
    >>> Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major major
    >>> disappointment!
    >>>
    >>> Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!
    >>>
    >>> any ideas
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> harry
    >>>

    >> Do you mean plugins (as in Acrobat, Flash, Java, ...) or extensions?
    >>
    >> When I update Firefox, my plugins usually stay functional. (They are _not_
    >> installed under the Fx install directory, except the "nullplugin" which

    > comes
    >> with the distro.) You can see which plugins are installed and which of

    > them
    >> are enabled by typing aboutlugins in the URL bar.
    >>
    >> My extensions are sometimes seen as "incompatible" but there is a

    > workaround:
    >> the compatibility check can be disabled by toggling the about:config
    >> preference "extensions.checkCompatibility" to _false_.
    >>
    >> Note:
    >> - In most cases, an extension which works with Fx 2.0.0.0 will work with
    >> 2.0.0.x for all x. This is not guaranteed, however.
    >> - Toggling this pref disables the check; if the extension is _actually_
    >> incompatible at the code level, anything can happen: usually it just stops
    >> working. Sometimes it causes a hang or a crash. In rare cases, any weird

    > thing
    >> can happen.

    changing that preference doesn't work if you've already
    updated. It works before the update has begun.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Is it just me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > harry wrote:
    >> Thanks for answering so quick Tony, I did actually mean extensions!
    >>
    >> Tried that setting and doesn't seem to make any difference - if I open up
    >> the add-ons window & click any of the "options" buttons (IE Tab, Tab Mix
    >> Plus, JSView etc...) no dialog appears! no errors just keeps beeping as
    >> though it thinks a modal dialog box is being displayed if I click the
    >> "options" button again!
    >>
    >> any thoughts?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    >> "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    >> news:QMadnax47v8_5ETbnZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >> there's

    >>> Do you mean plugins (as in Acrobat, Flash, Java, ...) or extensions?
    >>>
    >>> When I update Firefox, my plugins usually stay functional. (They are
    >>> _not_
    >>> installed under the Fx install directory, except the "nullplugin" which

    >> comes
    >>> with the distro.) You can see which plugins are installed and which of

    >> them
    >>> are enabled by typing aboutlugins in the URL bar.
    >>>
    >>> My extensions are sometimes seen as "incompatible" but there is a

    >> workaround:
    >>> the compatibility check can be disabled by toggling the about:config
    >>> preference "extensions.checkCompatibility" to _false_.
    >>>
    >>> Note:
    >>> - In most cases, an extension which works with Fx 2.0.0.0 will work with
    >>> 2.0.0.x for all x. This is not guaranteed, however.
    >>> - Toggling this pref disables the check; if the extension is _actually_
    >>> incompatible at the code level, anything can happen: usually it just
    >>> stops
    >>> working. Sometimes it causes a hang or a crash. In rare cases, any weird

    >> thing
    >>> can happen.

    > changing that preference doesn't work if you've already updated. It
    > works before the update has begun.

    With that pref set to false, you'll be able to install extensions which "don't
    know they are compatible". You'll also be able to re-enable extensions which
    had been disabled. However, I'm not sure whether the Enable/Disable button
    (for the selected extension in the Add-ons manager) exists in plain-vanilla
    Fx2 or if you must install the MR-Tech Local Install extension in order to get it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "Somewhere", said Father Vittorini, "did Blake not speak of the
    Machineries of Joy? That is, did not God promote environments, then

    "If Blake said that", said Father Brian, "he never lived in Dublin."
    -- R. Bradbury, "The Machineries of Joy"

  7. Re: Is it just me?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> harry wrote:
    >>> Thanks for answering so quick Tony, I did actually mean extensions!
    >>>
    >>> Tried that setting and doesn't seem to make any difference - if I open up
    >>> the add-ons window & click any of the "options" buttons (IE Tab, Tab Mix
    >>> Plus, JSView etc...) no dialog appears! no errors just keeps beeping as
    >>> though it thinks a modal dialog box is being displayed if I click the
    >>> "options" button again!
    >>>
    >>> any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>>

    >>> "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    >>> news:QMadnax47v8_5ETbnZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> there's

    >>> comes
    >>> them

    >>> workaround:

    >>> thing

    >> changing that preference doesn't work if you've already updated. It
    >> works before the update has begun.
    >>

    > With that pref set to false, you'll be able to install extensions which "don't
    > know they are compatible". You'll also be able to re-enable extensions which
    > had been disabled. However, I'm not sure whether the Enable/Disable button
    > (for the selected extension in the Add-ons manager) exists in plain-vanilla
    > Fx2 or if you must install the MR-Tech Local Install extension in order to get it.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    it must be with mr-tech, cause its not there in my version
    of FF.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Is it just me?

    harry wrote:
    > Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)
    >
    > Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working - as there's
    > no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a compatiable version is
    > released!
    >
    > Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major major
    > disappointment!
    >
    > Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!
    >
    > any ideas
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > harry

    Do you mean your extensions do not work? I have not noticed problems
    with extensions lately, or themes either. I do my updates manually, and
    it works better that way, I think.

  9. Re: Is it just me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> changing that preference doesn't work if you've already updated. It
    >>> works before the update has begun.

    >> With that pref set to false, you'll be able to install extensions which
    >> "don't know they are compatible". You'll also be able to re-enable
    >> extensions which had been disabled. However, I'm not sure whether the
    >> Enable/Disable button (for the selected extension in the Add-ons
    >> manager) exists in plain-vanilla Fx2 or if you must install the MR-Tech
    >> Local Install extension in order to get it.
    >>
    >> Best regards, Tony.

    > it must be with mr-tech, cause its not there in my version of FF.

    Type about:config into the URL fill-in box.

    My problem is a little different: Whenever I add or update an extension my
    Toolbar Grippies extension stops working until I use Nightly Tester Tools to
    tweak it back into operation. I followed the instructions above. We'll see
    if that annoying business stops.

    I don't have MR-Tech, whatever that is.

    Nothing is so stupid that you can't find somebody who
    did it at least once if you look hard enough.

  10. Re: Is it just me?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    >>> With that pref set to false, you'll be able to install extensions which
    >>> "don't know they are compatible". You'll also be able to re-enable
    >>> extensions which had been disabled. However, I'm not sure whether the
    >>> Enable/Disable button (for the selected extension in the Add-ons
    >>> manager) exists in plain-vanilla Fx2 or if you must install the MR-Tech
    >>> Local Install extension in order to get it.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards, Tony.

    >> it must be with mr-tech, cause its not there in my version of FF.

    > Type about:config into the URL fill-in box.
    >
    > My problem is a little different: Whenever I add or update an extension my
    > Toolbar Grippies extension stops working until I use Nightly Tester
    > Tools to
    > tweak it back into operation. I followed the instructions above. We'll
    > see
    > if that annoying business stops.
    >
    > I don't have MR-Tech, whatever that is.

    MR-Tech Local Install is a new and well-maintained extension which includes,
    among others, the functionality of Nightly Tester Tools. See
    http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/ for details, and scroll down
    to http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/loc...#special_notes for a list of
    the other extensions whose capabilities it includes.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    FIRST SOLDIER: So they wouldn't be able to bring a coconut back anyway.
    SECOND SOLDIER: Wait a minute! Suppose two swallows carried it together?

  11. Re: Is it just me?

    01 Sep 2007,"harry" in

    > Using FF 2.0.0.6 on win 2000 (sp4)
    >
    > Whenever I do a FF update virtually all my plugins stop working -
    > as there's no "rollback" facility I have to wait until a
    > compatiable version is released!
    >
    > Along with FF randomly hogging 99% CPU time, version 2 is a major
    > major disappointment!
    >
    > Very reluctant to go back to IE but at this rate I might have to!
    >
    > any ideas
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > harry

    you could try creating a temproary new profile, then installing your extensions one
    by one (install,restart, test. install restart test,,,).

    also coudl try disabling extensions one by one in current defective profile., *if* the
    addon dialog will let you disable any of them.

    --
    http://www.googlewhack.com/nack.htm

+ Reply to Thread