playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser - Mozilla

This is a discussion on playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser - Mozilla ; I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music. I have been told that it is ...

  1. playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.

    I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    cannot play, it needs a plug in.

    Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    download?

    I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.

    Best, Aaron

  2. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

    I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music. I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox cannot play, it needs a plug in. Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should download? I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer. Best, Aaron

    Windows Media Player plug-in for Firefox (IE uses same program )

    Get it here:
           https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

  3. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    > attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    > only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >
    > I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    > cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    > download?
    >
    > I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Best, Aaron

    if IE is playing it, then FF should aswell. In the FF
    address bar type in aboutlugins and see what is playing
    mp4s. Also, you might want to post a link to the music so
    others can take a look at it. Perhaps, its been coded
    wrong, and thats my FF isn't seeing and play it.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    > attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    > only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >
    > I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    > cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    > download?
    >
    > I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Best, Aaron

    Yes. You can use the QuickTime plugin for this purpose.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    > attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    > only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >
    > I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    > cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    > download?
    >
    > I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Best, Aaron

    I have mp4 files set up to play via the Quicktime plug-in. I've
    tested the plug-in and it works. As the mp4 files at
    http://mb.bigredbands.org/media.php do not play, I must assume
    that the page coding favors I.E.

    You can play the sounds using the Firefox IE Tab add-on or
    download the file to play it or launch I.E. as you seem to have
    already done.

  6. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    Alan wrote:
    > aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >> I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    >> attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    >> only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >>
    >> I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    >> cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    >> download?
    >>
    >> I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> Best, Aaron
    >>

    > I have mp4 files set up to play via the Quicktime plug-in. I've
    > tested the plug-in and it works. As the mp4 files at
    > http://mb.bigredbands.org/media.php do not play, I must assume
    > that the page coding favors I.E.
    >
    > You can play the sounds using the Firefox IE Tab add-on or
    > download the file to play it or launch I.E. as you seem to have
    > already done.

    it should be set up to play m4a's rather than mp4s. But,
    anyways, the coding is set up as href rather than audio/x-m4a

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >>> I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    >>> attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    >>> only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >>>
    >>> I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    >>> cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    >>> download?
    >>>
    >>> I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Best, Aaron
    >>>

    >> I have mp4 files set up to play via the Quicktime plug-in. I've tested
    >> the plug-in and it works. As the mp4 files at
    >> http://mb.bigredbands.org/media.php do not play, I must assume that
    >> the page coding favors I.E.
    >>
    >> You can play the sounds using the Firefox IE Tab add-on or download
    >> the file to play it or launch I.E. as you seem to have already done.

    > it should be set up to play m4a's rather than mp4s. But, anyways, the
    > coding is set up as href rather than audio/x-m4a

    A typo. It's set up to play mp4 and m4a.

  8. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    >>> I have windows XP wi/svc pak 2, mozilla firefox. recenty when I
    >>> attempted to play Cornell University's Marching Band Alma Mater, I saw
    >>> only tiny icons on the screen but heard no music.
    >>>
    >>> I have been told that it is an mp4 audio file that apparently Firefox
    >>> cannot play, it needs a plug in.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone advise me as to which plugin for Firefox that I should
    >>> download?
    >>>
    >>> I CAN play the music using Internet Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Best, Aaron
    >>>

    >> I have mp4 files set up to play via the Quicktime plug-in. I've
    >> tested the plug-in and it works. As the mp4 files at
    >> http://mb.bigredbands.org/media.php do not play, I must assume
    >> that the page coding favors I.E.
    >>
    >> You can play the sounds using the Firefox IE Tab add-on or
    >> download the file to play it or launch I.E. as you seem to have
    >> already done.

    > it should be set up to play m4a's rather than mp4s. But,
    > anyways, the coding is set up as href rather than audio/x-m4a

    if you want to get it playing in QT, then right click on the
    link, select Copy Link Location, then open QT, and under
    File, Open URL in New Player and paste it there.

    Or, get Launchy: http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy.html. You
    right click on the musical links, select Launch, and pick
    the player you want.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    On Aug 29, 5:36 pm, Alan wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    > > Alan wrote:

    REPLY TO ALL OF THE KIND PEOPLE WHO POSTED SUGGESTIONS ON ACCESSING
    CORNELL UNIV. BAND SITE:

    Problem solved.

    Thank's to all for your suggestions! I tried many by attempting to
    access the mp4 file with different players (realtime, apple quick
    time,
    windows media, etc.), but no success. I then looked up the phone #
    of Cornell University Marching Band webmaster and phoned
    him this afternoon. He asked me to e-mail him the problem & he would
    try to solve when he returned home this evening.

    A few hours ago he e-mailed me that he tried playing the music on his
    computer using Firefox browser & the same thing happened,
    a page of tiny diamond icons with question mark in each diamond. He
    then changed all of the music files back to mp3 files as they
    were previously and music was restored. Now, once again, Cornellians
    throughout the world can hear their Alma Mater on
    demand.

    I am sure, if I am able to get this message to the people at Mozilla,
    they can make necessary changes so that MP4a files will
    play music automatically.

    All is well----------for the time being! Peace! Aaron>

    > >> I have mp4 files set up to play via the Quicktime plug-in. I've tested
    > >> the plug-in and it works. As the mp4 files at
    > >>http://mb.bigredbands.org/media.phpdo not play, I must assume that
    > >> the page coding favors I.E.

    > >> You can play the sounds using the Firefox IE Tab add-on or download
    > >> the file to play it or launch I.E. as you seem to have already done.

    > > it should be set up to play m4a's rather than mp4s. But, anyways, the
    > > coding is set up as href rather than audio/x-m4a

    > A typo. It's set up to play mp4 and m4a.

  10. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    Quicktime alternative (free)
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_qu...e_alternative/
    claims support for mp4 and mp4a

    Winamp Pro definitely supports these.

    --
    Irwin

  11. Re: playing mp4 files on Firefox Browser

    aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
    > I then looked up the phone #
    > of Cornell University Marching Band webmaster and phoned
    > him this afternoon. He asked me to e-mail him the problem & he would
    > try to solve when he returned home this evening.

    well, good for you. Thats one way of doing things.

    > I am sure, if I am able to get this message to the people at Mozilla,
    > they can make necessary changes so that MP4a files will
    > play music automatically.

    Mozilla has nothing to do with the playing of mp4s. That is
    the responsiblity of third party programs, such as
    quicktime, windows media player, winamp, and others.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread