where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf? - Mozilla ; I'd like to sterilize a PC I'm giving to somebody. I cleared private data using firefox's dialogue for that. But, does it store pictures temporarily in some folder? Is there anything else I need to do to make sure they ...

  1. where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf?

    I'd like to sterilize a PC I'm giving to somebody. I cleared private
    data using firefox's dialogue for that. But, does it store pictures
    temporarily in some folder? Is there anything else I need to do to
    make sure they can not trace what I've been doing?

    Jim

  2. Re: where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf?

    CharlesBlackstone wrote:
    > I'd like to sterilize a PC I'm giving to somebody. I cleared private
    > data using firefox's dialogue for that. But, does it store pictures
    > temporarily in some folder? Is there anything else I need to do to
    > make sure they can not trace what I've been doing?
    >
    > Jim

    If you did any online finance like banking then you need to be even more
    careful. I'd do a "wipe clean space" operation several times using a
    disk wipe program. (eg the old Norton Wipe Info) I'd also defrag the
    drive to move stuff around a bit.
    You need to clear the firefox cache, and use a program like CCleaner to
    delete temporary files.

    But the only definite way to sterilise a hard drive is with a lump hammer.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  3. Re: where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf?

    Robert M Jones wrote:

    > I'd also defrag the
    > drive to move stuff around a bit.

    This would not do any good (I hope). Defragging is not there to confuse,
    or randomly disperese data.

    > But the only definite way to sterilise a hard drive is with a lump hammer.

    Reverend, did you at any time in your past life work for the MoD in the
    UK? I've heard this advice from some institution near Portland Bill.

  4. Re: where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf?

    kes wrote:
    > Robert M Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I'd also defrag the drive to move stuff around a bit.

    > This would not do any good (I hope). Defragging is not there to confuse,
    > or randomly disperese data.

    Defragging doesn't randomly disperse data, it consolidates it into
    contiguous sectors, or if it is more sophisticated, into sectors that
    can read/write optimally for your particular drive. It normally moves
    things around quite a bit, overwriting the spaces where you have deleted
    data, so it will rather confuse any attempt to recover data from erased
    sectors.

    >> But the only definite way to sterilise a hard drive is with a lump
    >> hammer.
    >>

    > Reverend, did you at any time in your past life work for the MoD in the
    > UK? I've heard this advice from some institution near Portland Bill.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: where does firefox store pictures downloaded as you surf?

    CharlesBlackstone wrote:

    > I'd like to sterilize a PC I'm giving to somebody. I cleared private
    > data using firefox's dialogue for that. But, does it store pictures
    > temporarily in some folder? Is there anything else I need to do to
    > make sure they can not trace what I've been doing?
    >
    > Jim

    Darik's boot and nuke - http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    deletes the hard drive using special algorithms.

    --
    damjan

+ Reply to Thread