improper display URL - Mozilla

This is a discussion on improper display URL - Mozilla ; Support, BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported by the Firefox browser: https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to enable my browser to view this webpage properly? ...

  1. improper display URL

    Support,

    BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    by the Firefox browser: https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do

    Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    MOZ;love the browser.

    V/r
    J. McGee

  2. Re: improper display URL

    If a web site developer says their site is not supported by Firefox, and if
    they seem unwilling to do anything about it, that would generally indicate
    that THEY have no interest having you use Firefox to access their site.

    If I ran a restaurant and you came in to order a burger and I said "we sell
    steaks, but we don't sell burgers" then the problem is with me ... not the
    butcher where I buy the meat...

    Bob

    wrote in message
    news:1188335658.796912.309210@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > Support,
    >
    > BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    > by the Firefox browser:
    > https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do
    >
    > Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    > enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    > MOZ;love the browser.
    >
    > V/r
    > J. McGee

  3. Re: improper display URL

    On 8/28/2007 2:14 PM, jackrmcgee@gmail.com wrote:
    > Support,
    >
    > BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    > by the Firefox browser: https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do
    >
    > Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    > enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    > MOZ;love the browser.
    >
    > V/r
    > J. McGee

    It's interesting to compare what one gets while trying to access that
    URI with FF (unauthorized access) vs IE7 (works fine). This implies
    there is some kind of sniffing going on, especially since the page
    validates on W3C (with one warning)

    --
    Irwin

  4. Re: improper display URL

    jackrmcgee@gmail.com wrote:
    > Support,
    >
    > BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    > by the Firefox browser: https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do
    >
    > Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    > enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    > MOZ;love the browser.
    >
    > V/r
    > J. McGee

    They are doing user-agent sniffing that does not appear to account for
    FF. Indeed, I installed the User Agent Switcher extension, told it to
    pretend to be "Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista)", and the site appears to
    load just fine. It would appear that the only reason that FF is "not
    supported", is that the sniffing code needs to be updated.

    You can try it yourself, by installing the extension:

    User Agent Switcher

    Once it is installed, go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher, and select
    Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista).

    Then visit that BOA site. I can't test the login, as I don't have an
    account there, but as I said, that page renders fine, as far as I can tell.

    --
    Alex K.

  5. Re: improper display URL

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 8/28/2007 2:14 PM, jackrmcgee@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Support,
    >>
    >> BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    >> by the Firefox browser: https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do
    >>
    >> Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    >> enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    >> MOZ;love the browser.
    >>
    >> V/r
    >> J. McGee
    >>

    > It's interesting to compare what one gets while trying to access that
    > URI with FF (unauthorized access) vs IE7 (works fine). This implies
    > there is some kind of sniffing going on, especially since the page
    > validates on W3C (with one warning)

    What I see is not a warning, but a page of raw JavaScript code, followed by:

    "There is an exception in this page. This page can not be processed any
    further.
    Please contact the EAGLS Administrator

    Error: multiple points"

    The JavaScript begins with:
    "//This variable is used for the sign in. var message="You are
    attempting to access ..."

    So, I could see how it could give the impression that it is a warning,
    but in reality, its just raw JavaScript & what I am seeing is where they
    assign the warning text to the 'message' variable, followed by a bunch
    more JS code.

    There is indeed browser sniffing occurring, see my reply to the OP for
    more info.

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: improper display URL

    On Aug 29, 4:38 am, "Alex K." wrote:
    > jackrmc...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Support,

    > > BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    > > by the Firefox browser:https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do

    > > Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    > > enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    > > MOZ;love the browser.

    > > V/r
    > > J. McGee

    > They are doing user-agent sniffing that does not appear to account for
    > FF. Indeed, I installed the User Agent Switcher extension, told it to
    > pretend to be "Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista)", and the site appears to
    > load just fine. It would appear that the only reason that FF is "not
    > supported", is that the sniffing code needs to be updated.
    >
    > You can try it yourself, by installing the extension:
    >
    > User Agent Switcherhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59
    >
    > Once it is installed, go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher, and select
    > Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista).
    >
    > Then visit that BOA site. I can't test the login, as I don't have an
    > account there, but as I said, that page renders fine, as far as I can tell.
    >
    > --
    > Alex K.

    Alex K.,

    I will pass this on to BOA. Thank you very much for your input. I will
    have to lookup info on this "sniffing" you speak of-completely
    unfamiliar with it. But, in this great country, there is always
    someone who knows.

    v/r
    J.McGee

  7. Re: improper display URL

    J. McGee wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 4:38 am, "Alex K." wrote:
    >> jackrmc...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Support,
    >>> BankofAmerica has confirmed that the following site is not supported
    >>> by the Firefox browser:https://www.gov-eagls.bankofamerica.com/EAGLS/portal.do
    >>> Is there any work being done to RECTIFY this? If not, what can I do to
    >>> enable my browser to view this webpage properly? [if anything]. Thanks
    >>> MOZ;love the browser.
    >>> V/r
    >>> J. McGee

    >> They are doing user-agent sniffing that does not appear to account for
    >> FF. Indeed, I installed the User Agent Switcher extension, told it to
    >> pretend to be "Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista)", and the site appears to
    >> load just fine. It would appear that the only reason that FF is "not
    >> supported", is that the sniffing code needs to be updated.
    >>
    >> You can try it yourself, by installing the extension:
    >>
    >> User Agent Switcherhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59
    >>
    >> Once it is installed, go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher, and select
    >> Netscape 4.8 (Windows Vista).
    >>
    >> Then visit that BOA site. I can't test the login, as I don't have an
    >> account there, but as I said, that page renders fine, as far as I can tell.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alex K.

    > Alex K.,
    >
    > I will pass this on to BOA. Thank you very much for your input. I will
    > have to lookup info on this "sniffing" you speak of-completely
    > unfamiliar with it. But, in this great country, there is always
    > someone who knows.

    The term 'browser sniffing' or 'user-agent sniffing' just refers to the
    practice of using code to determine which browser, and if necessary,
    which version, a visitor is using.

    The purpose is, generally, to generate work-arounds, in the page code,
    to overcome variances in how the different browsers and versions will
    display that page.

    Another common use, is to determine what operating system you are using,
    to direct you to the appropriate download of a program, for example.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread