Opening compiled HTML help file - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Opening compiled HTML help file - Mozilla ; Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I ...

  1. Opening compiled HTML help file

    Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Opening compiled HTML help file

    Thunderbird Leader JRancier@penntraffic.com teletyped, On 8/28/2007
    11:45 AM:
    > Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    > (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    > the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    > and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    > Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You can't. It is not a compatible file.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: Opening compiled HTML help file

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader JRancier@penntraffic.com teletyped, On 8/28/2007
    > 11:45 AM:
    >> Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    >> (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    >> the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    >> and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    >> Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > You can't. It is not a compatible file.

    While FF may not display it, if served with a proper mime-type, it
    should allow the user to associate the appropriate program, to open it
    externally, which is what I believe the OP is asking.

    My guess, without a link to the page in question, is that it is being
    served either as application/octet-stream or text/plain. Neither one of
    these mime-types will allow you to set a default action. For more
    information regarding these mime-types, see my previous post, in a
    different thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...434ee57?hl=en&

    However, it appears that the Apache web server folks have added a
    mime-type for it, in the default mime.types configuration file, which is
    the primary file for mime-type associations on the server:

    Mailing List Archive: Apache: CVS
    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/apache/cvs/336571

    "Assign the .chm extension to the newly registered type based on
    the theory that Microsoft will use it eventually."

    "+application/vnd.ms-htmlhelp chm "

    By associating the chm extension with the 'application/vnd.ms-htmlhelp'
    mime-type, whenever the server sends a file with the chm extension, it
    will automatically assign it that mime-type by default.

    The change was just committed to the trunk two days ago, so it will
    probably be quite a while before it is in general use.

    Of course, there is absolutely nothing stopping a webmaster or server
    admin from adding that mime-type, on their own. At least with Apache,
    it simple to do so, either in the server config or with a .htaccess
    file. I don't know about IIS, as I'm not familiar with it, but I assume
    that its possible.

    --
    Alex K.

  4. Re: Opening compiled HTML help file

    On 28.08.2007 17:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    JRancier@penntraffic.com to generate the following:? :
    > Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    > (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    > the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    > and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    > Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?
    >
    > Thanks.

    if you are using WinXP - open the
    Explorer>>Tools>>Folderoptions>>Filetypes
    there, you will need to create or change the filetype CHM to open with
    the Microsoft HTML Helpfiles.

    As far as I can see on my system, this is a *default* setting and the
    Helpfiles open in their own (Win-specific) windowtype, but not in the
    browser-window. Maybe your setting (previous paragraph) is set to open
    in FF - which would be wrongly set!

    reg

  5. Re: Opening compiled HTML help file

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 28.08.2007 17:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    > JRancier@penntraffic.com to generate the following:? :
    >> Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    >> (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    >> the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    >> and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    >> Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > if you are using WinXP - open the
    > Explorer>>Tools>>Folderoptions>>Filetypes
    > there, you will need to create or change the filetype CHM to open with
    > the Microsoft HTML Helpfiles.
    >
    > As far as I can see on my system, this is a *default* setting and the
    > Helpfiles open in their own (Win-specific) windowtype, but not in the
    > browser-window. Maybe your setting (previous paragraph) is set to open
    > in FF - which would be wrongly set!

    But FF associates default actions, which appears to be what the OP is
    asking about, with the mime-type, not the file extension. You can
    associate the *windows* file type all you want, but if the file is not
    sent with the proper mime-type, it just won't work.

    See my previous post in this thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e83ed363dc3879

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: Opening compiled HTML help file

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:45:36 -0500, in message ,
    JRancier@penntraffic.com wrote:

    > Hello. I have a web page which has a link to a compiled HTML help file
    > (with the extension .chm), when I click on the file, I get a dialog with
    > the title "Opening file.chm". Then I'm asked if I want to save the file,
    > and have get two button "Save File" or "Cancel". How can I configure
    > Firefox to simply kick off the MS HTML Help Control application?

    There is a security vulnerability in opening CHM files from the web.

    "You cannot open HTML Help files from Internet Explorer after you install security update 896358"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

    I don't know whether or not this is also intentional behaviour in Firefox

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread