This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is verifi - Mozilla

This is a discussion on This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is verifi - Mozilla ; This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefully now my subscriber information is verified correctly. I was notified recently that Firefox 2.0.0.6 users are experiencing issues when printing pages of content that extend beyond an 8.5 by 11 ...

  1. This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is verifi

    This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefully now my subscriber information is verified correctly.

    I was notified recently that Firefox 2.0.0.6 users are experiencing issues when printing pages of content that extend beyond an 8.5 by 11 page. ( I just upgraded from a previous version, 1.7.0 (?) myself today, so I am not sure how many iterations have come and gone between them).

    Using Firefox 2.0.0.6, go to http://www.niu.edu/phys_plant/depart...tenance..shtml and do a print preview. You will notice that Firefox is dividing the page up into three sections: the header, that only features the logo; the content area, which cuts off at the bottom of the page; and the footer.

    By comparison, print preview the same page in IE 6.0. If you can bring yourself to do so) Still three pages, but all of the content is present. ( I have not tested in IE 7.0).

    The FF 1.7.0 did not have this issue, however, the page template that we use on the page above (featuring the Right content area column) did make FF crash if I tried to print or print preview. Maybe two separate issues going on, or perhaps they are linked somehow.

    So, I have two questions: has there been a change in how Firefox interpretsa print style sheet that might cause it to preview and output as I described above, and if so, can you suggest a remedy. And secondly, is there anything about the page listed above that would cause Firefox to freeze up/crash? Possible third question, are these issues somehow related?

    Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    Brian Walk
    Assistant Director for Visual Communications
    Division of Administration and Outreach
    Northern Illinois University
    DeKalb, IL 60115
    (815) 753-6916

  2. Re: This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is verifi

    On 28.08.2007 09:11, Brian Walk wrote:

    > This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefully now my subscriber information is verified correctly.
    >
    > I was notified recently that Firefox 2.0.0.6 users are experiencing issues when printing pages of content that extend beyond an 8.5 by 11 page. ( I just upgraded from a previous version, 1.7.0 (?) myself today, so I am not sure how many iterations have come and gone between them).
    >
    > Using Firefox 2.0.0.6, go to http://www.niu.edu/phys_plant/depart...ntenance.shtml and do a print preview. You will notice that Firefox is dividing the page up into three sections: the header, that only features the logo; the content area, which cuts off at the bottom of the page; and the footer.
    >
    > By comparison, print preview the same page in IE 6.0. If you can bring yourself to do so) Still three pages, but all of the content is present. ( I have not tested in IE 7.0).
    >
    > The FF 1.7.0 did not have this issue, however, the page template that we use on the page above (featuring the Right content area column) did make FF crash if I tried to print or print preview. Maybe two separate issues going on, or perhaps they are linked somehow.
    >
    > So, I have two questions: has there been a change in how Firefox interprets a print style sheet that might cause it to preview and output as I described above, and if so, can you suggest a remedy. And secondly, is there anything about the page listed above that would cause Firefox to freeze up/crash? Possible third question, are these issues somehow related?
    >
    > Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brian Walk
    > Assistant Director for Visual Communications
    > Division of Administration and Outreach
    > Northern Illinois University
    > DeKalb, IL 60115
    > (815) 753-6916

    The easiest solution, IMHO, to this is to install the IE Tab extension:

    Then, display the site as IE, works just fine.

    The hardest way is to convince the site designer to program the site for
    cross-browser compatibility. :-(

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  3. Re: This now my third attempt at posting this message.Hopefully now my subscriber information is ve

    Jay,

    Thanks for your email. Cross browser compatibility has been and continues to be paramount, along with accessibility. At one point, the site was working fine on Firefox, IE, Safari, et al., PC and Mac. It is this latest update that has thrown me for a loop. I would appreciate some help understanding what changes occurred in the latest update that could help me troubleshoot the issue. Any thoughts?

    Brian

    >>> Jay Garcia 08/28/07 9:48 AM >>>

    On 28.08.2007 09:11, Brian Walk wrote:

    > This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefully now my subscriber information is verified correctly.
    >
    > I was notified recently that Firefox 2.0.0.6 users are experiencing issues when printing pages of content that extend beyond an 8.5 by 11 page. ( I just upgraded from a previous version, 1.7.0 (?) myself today, so I am not sure how many iterations have come and gone between them).
    >
    > Using Firefox 2.0.0.6, go to http://www.niu.edu/phys_plant/depart...ntenance.shtml and do a print preview. You will notice that Firefox is dividing the page up into three sections: the header, that only features the logo; the content area, which cuts off at the bottom of the page; and the footer.
    >
    > By comparison, print preview the same page in IE 6.0. If you can bring yourself to do so) Still three pages, but all of the content is present. ( I have not tested in IE 7.0).
    >
    > The FF 1.7.0 did not have this issue, however, the page template that we use on the page above (featuring the Right content area column) did make FF crash if I tried to print or print preview. Maybe two separate issues going on, or perhaps they are linked somehow.
    >
    > So, I have two questions: has there been a change in how Firefox interprets a print style sheet that might cause it to preview and output as I described above, and if so, can you suggest a remedy. And secondly, is there anything about the page listed above that would cause Firefox to freeze up/crash? Possible third question, are these issues somehow related?
    >
    > Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brian Walk
    > Assistant Director for Visual Communications
    > Division of Administration and Outreach
    > Northern Illinois University
    > DeKalb, IL 60115
    > (815) 753-6916

    The easiest solution, IMHO, to this is to install the IE Tab extension:

    Then, display the site as IE, works just fine.

    The hardest way is to convince the site designer to program the site for
    cross-browser compatibility. :-(

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is ve

    Did you try view, page style, basic page style? As only a novice would
    I switched to no style just for laughs, back again, and now it for
    whatever reason the page displays all the content.

    Brian Walk wrote:
    > Jay,
    >
    > Thanks for your email. Cross browser compatibility has been and continues to be paramount, along with accessibility. At one point, the site was working fine on Firefox, IE, Safari, et al., PC and Mac. It is this latest update that has thrown me for a loop. I would appreciate some help understanding what changes occurred in the latest update that could help me troubleshoot the issue. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Brian

    > On 28.08.2007 09:11, Brian Walk wrote:

  5. Re: This now my third attempt at posting this message.Hopefully now my subscriber information is ve

    Robert,

    I tried this approach, but I could not replicate your results. Print preview/print, in both no style and basic style mode, still only displayed part of the content area, and also continued to separate the header and footer. Are you viewing it in FF 2.0.0.6?

    thanks, and I appreciate your help!

    Brian

    Brian Walk wrote:
    > Jay,
    >
    > Thanks for your email. Cross browser compatibility has been and continues to be paramount, along with accessibility. At one point, the site was working fine on Firefox, IE, Safari, et al., PC and Mac. It is this latest update that has thrown me for a loop. I would appreciate some help understanding what changes occurred in the latest update that could help me troubleshoot the issue. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Brian

    > On 28.08.2007 09:11, Brian Walk wrote:

  6. Re: This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefullynow my subscriber information is verifi

    On 28.08.2007 16:11, Brian Walk wrote:
    > This now my third attempt at posting this message. Hopefully now my subscriber information is verified correctly.
    >
    > I was notified recently that Firefox 2.0.0.6 users are experiencing issues when printing pages of content that extend beyond an 8.5 by 11 page. ( I just upgraded from a previous version, 1.7.0 (?) myself today, so I am not sure how many iterations have come and gone between them).
    >
    > Using Firefox 2.0.0.6, go to http://www.niu.edu/phys_plant/depart...ntenance.shtml and do a print preview. You will notice that Firefox is dividing the page up into three sections: the header, that only features the logo; the content area, which cuts off at the bottom of the page; and the footer.
    >
    > By comparison, print preview the same page in IE 6.0. If you can bring yourself to do so) Still three pages, but all of the content is present. ( I have not tested in IE 7.0).
    >
    > The FF 1.7.0 did not have this issue, however, the page template that we use on the page above (featuring the Right content area column) did make FF crash if I tried to print or print preview. Maybe two separate issues going on, or perhaps they are linked somehow.
    >
    > So, I have two questions: has there been a change in how Firefox interprets a print style sheet that might cause it to preview and output as I described above, and if so, can you suggest a remedy. And secondly, is there anything about the page listed above that would cause Firefox to freeze up/crash? Possible third question, are these issues somehow related?
    >
    > Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brian Walk
    > Assistant Director for Visual Communications
    > Division of Administration and Outreach
    > Northern Illinois University
    > DeKalb, IL 60115
    > (815) 753-6916

    Validation mumbles something about 130 errors.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...ntenance.shtml

    Correct these first, maybe?

    --
    Arne Hamre