Spoof my ISP ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Spoof my ISP ? - Mozilla ; I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions we ...

  1. Spoof my ISP ?

    I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."

    Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?

    --
    Fred
    When using my email address, add the word "Trustme" anywhere on the

  2. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Thunderbird Leader Fred Hare teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:08 AM:
    > I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    > service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    > www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    > restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >
    > Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?

    Check out this extension.

    mozdev.org - refspoof: index

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Fred Hare wrote:
    > I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    > service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    > www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    > restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >
    > Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?

    No. And not with any other browser either. Your IP address identifies where
    you are to data packages travelling on the Net. If you found a way to send
    data with some IP address other than yours on it (it's not possible, but let's
    dream), the reply woudn't get to you, causing a timeout or a failure to connect.

    If you could get a contract with a US ISP, you could try phoning its data
    entry point long-distance _instead_ of your European ISP (which would mean
    long-distance phone rates and narrowband data rates -- let's say 64 kbaud at
    most, no DSL) and that way you might be able to circumvent that restriction.
    But even if you could find a willing supplier (which I doubt), I don't think
    the game would be worth the candle.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    A M00se once bit my sister ...

  4. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Thunderbird Leader Tony Mechelynck teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:28 AM:
    > Fred Hare wrote:
    >> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>
    >> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>

    > No. And not with any other browser either. Your IP address identifies
    > where you are to data packages travelling on the Net. If you found a
    > way to send data with some IP address other than yours on it (it's not
    > possible, but let's dream), the reply woudn't get to you, causing a
    > timeout or a failure to connect.
    >
    > If you could get a contract with a US ISP, you could try phoning its
    > data entry point long-distance _instead_ of your European ISP (which
    > would mean long-distance phone rates and narrowband data rates --
    > let's say 64 kbaud at most, no DSL) and that way you might be able to
    > circumvent that restriction. But even if you could find a willing
    > supplier (which I doubt), I don't think the game would be worth the
    > candle.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Tony, Check out Tor.

    There are commercial proxy services which would mask your ISP's block of
    IP addresses with one of the proxies IP's.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  5. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Fred Hare wrote:
    >> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>
    >> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>

    > No. And not with any other browser either. Your IP address identifies where
    > you are to data packages travelling on the Net. If you found a way to send
    > data with some IP address other than yours on it (it's not possible, but let's
    > dream), the reply woudn't get to you, causing a timeout or a failure to connect.
    >
    > If you could get a contract with a US ISP, you could try phoning its data
    > entry point long-distance _instead_ of your European ISP (which would mean
    > long-distance phone rates and narrowband data rates -- let's say 64 kbaud at
    > most, no DSL) and that way you might be able to circumvent that restriction.
    > But even if you could find a willing supplier (which I doubt), I don't think
    > the game would be worth the candle.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Yes, I did that. I connected via long-distance from Switzerland to my
    US-dial-up account at nethere.com in San Diego. Worked OK, sound quality
    of the Radio Station was perfect (with occasional buffering pauses). But
    to listen for hours gets kind of expensive even at todays cheap long
    distance rates...
    Best regards, Fred

    --
    When using my email address, add the word "Trustme" anywhere on the
    subject-line. Otherwise the message will be deleted on the server.

  6. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Fred Hare teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:08 AM:
    >> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>
    >> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>

    > Check out this extension.
    >
    > mozdev.org - refspoof: index

    Thank you for the url, I will try the refspoof extension next weekend
    and report back here.
    Fred

    --
    When using my email address, add the word "Trustme" anywhere on the
    subject-line. Otherwise the message will be deleted on the server.

  7. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Tony Mechelynck teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:28 AM:
    >> Fred Hare wrote:
    >>> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >>> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >>> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >>> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>>
    >>> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>>

    >> No. And not with any other browser either. Your IP address identifies
    >> where you are to data packages travelling on the Net. If you found a
    >> way to send data with some IP address other than yours on it (it's not
    >> possible, but let's dream), the reply woudn't get to you, causing a
    >> timeout or a failure to connect.
    >>
    >> If you could get a contract with a US ISP, you could try phoning its
    >> data entry point long-distance _instead_ of your European ISP (which
    >> would mean long-distance phone rates and narrowband data rates --
    >> let's say 64 kbaud at most, no DSL) and that way you might be able to
    >> circumvent that restriction. But even if you could find a willing
    >> supplier (which I doubt), I don't think the game would be worth the
    >> candle.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Tony, Check out Tor.
    > There are commercial proxy services which would mask your ISP's block of
    > IP addresses with one of the proxies IP's.

    In addition to Ron's suggestion, try HidemyIP at >
    http://www.hide-my-ip.com/

    You have the possibility to require a US IP, which is what you need, but
    I doubt that with the free service, the bandwidth will be adequate. I
    have not tried the paying service, which is supposed to give a wider
    bandwidth.

    --
    John Doue

  8. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    On 8/28/2007 7:18 AM Fred Hare replied:

    >> If you could get a contract with a US ISP, you could try phoning its data
    >> entry point long-distance _instead_ of your European ISP (which would mean
    >> long-distance phone rates and narrowband data rates -- let's say 64 kbaud at
    >> most, no DSL) and that way you might be able to circumvent that restriction.
    >> But even if you could find a willing supplier (which I doubt), I don't think
    >> the game would be worth the candle.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Yes, I did that. I connected via long-distance from Switzerland to my
    > US-dial-up account at nethere.com in San Diego. Worked OK, sound quality
    > of the Radio Station was perfect (with occasional buffering pauses). But
    > to listen for hours gets kind of expensive even at todays cheap long
    > distance rates...

    Rush Limbaugh doesn't come cheap...

  9. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    On 28.08.2007 08:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Fred Hare to
    generate the following:? :
    > I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    > service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    > www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    > restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >
    > Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?

    I haven't looked at that station but - what I did with Pandora (before
    they "IP-sniffed") was to register there with a USA-postal code. Just
    lately though, as indicated, Pandora started IP-sniffing and I get the
    very same error message!

    I now isten to LastFM which has plenty of scope and good quality music

    reg (in Germany)

  10. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Fred Hare teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:08 AM:
    >> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>
    >> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>

    > Check out this extension.
    >
    > mozdev.org - refspoof: index

    How would spoofing your referer hide your IP number? You need to use an
    anonymous proxy service.

  11. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Thunderbird Leader EE teletyped, On 8/28/2007 4:01 PM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader Fred Hare teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:08 AM:
    >>> I never saw this a year ago but now more and more US websites refuse
    >>> service based on the ISP I use. Like when I want to listen to
    >>> www.kfi640.com from Europe I get "...Unfortunately, due to licensing
    >>> restrictions we can not comply with your request at this time."
    >>>
    >>> Using FireFox, is there a way to spoof my IP-address or my ISP ?
    >>>

    >> Check out this extension.
    >>
    >> mozdev.org - refspoof: index
    >>

    > How would spoofing your referer hide your IP number? You need to use
    > an anonymous proxy service.

    Spoofing would work for the second part of the OP's question, hiding the
    name of the ISP. That is wat I was addressing. True, a Proxy is the
    only way for an IP number.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  12. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    "Fred Hare" wrote in message

    > Yes, I did that. I connected via long-distance from Switzerland to my
    > US-dial-up account at nethere.com in San Diego. Worked OK, sound quality
    > of the Radio Station was perfect (with occasional buffering pauses). But
    > to listen for hours gets kind of expensive even at todays cheap long
    > distance rates...
    > Best regards, Fred
    >
    > --
    > When using my email address, add the word "Trustme" anywhere on the
    > subject-line. Otherwise the message will be deleted on the server.

    You could ask a US based friend to "snoop" the real direct link of the
    stream with something like URL Snooper
    (http://www.donationcoder.com/Softwar...per/index.html). Did
    the trick for me with Leo Laporte's show like a year ago. The URL was at
    that time
    http://64.62.193.11/D/814/19771/v000...i?MSWMExt=.asf, not
    working anymore but I am downloading his podcasts now.

    HTH

  13. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Tony, Check out Tor.

    the problem with tor is you're basically stuck with the IP
    address they give you. I mean, when you log on, you're
    given an address. That can be anywhere in the world, and
    you don't know which one you're going to get. If you log
    off and log on again, you may get the same one or a
    different one. You just don't know from one time to the
    next. You could be given the same one everytime you log on.
    Its happened to me may times. I kept getting the one from
    Germany, and rarely did I get one from the US or even from
    New Zealand.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Tony, Check out Tor.

    > the problem with tor is you're basically stuck with the IP
    > address they give you. I mean, when you log on, you're
    > given an address. That can be anywhere in the world, and
    > you don't know which one you're going to get. If you log
    > off and log on again, you may get the same one or a
    > different one. You just don't know from one time to the
    > next. You could be given the same one everytime you log on.
    > Its happened to me may times. I kept getting the one from
    > Germany, and rarely did I get one from the US or even from
    > New Zealand.

    and the other problem with Tor is it has been really slow.
    I guess its because of all the users who are downloading
    their porn fix for the day. ;-)

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Spoof my ISP ?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader EE teletyped, On 8/28/2007 4:01 PM:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird Leader Fred Hare teletyped, On 8/28/2007 2:08 AM:

    >>> Check out this extension.
    >>>
    >>> mozdev.org - refspoof: index
    >>>

    >> How would spoofing your referer hide your IP number? You need to use
    >> an anonymous proxy service.

    > Spoofing would work for the second part of the OP's question, hiding the
    > name of the ISP. That is wat I was addressing. True, a Proxy is the
    > only way for an IP number.

    The referer contains the URL of the last page you were visiting. Unless
    you were visiting your ISP's site, then it will not have the name of
    your ISP.

+ Reply to Thread