Opening up home page and other tabs.. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Opening up home page and other tabs.. - Mozilla ; Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs as well as the home page. How would he ...

  1. Opening up home page and other tabs..

    Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    as well as the home page.

    How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    what?

    Please, any help would be great.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    > Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    > as well as the home page.
    >
    > How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    > what?
    >
    > Please, any help would be great.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here's exactly what he means..

    "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"

    Thanks......

  3. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    > Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    > as well as the home page.
    >
    > How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    > what?
    >
    > Please, any help would be great.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..

    "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"

  4. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    Thunderbird Leader 05.C.J.M.86@gmail.com teletyped, On 8/25/2007 2:04 AM:
    > On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    >> Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    >> as well as the home page.
    >>
    >> How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    >> what?
    >>
    >> Please, any help would be great.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..
    >

    > "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    > mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    > (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    > URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"

    Easy, tell him set up two profiles with separate launch shortcuts. That
    way He can have the distinctive startups with a different assortment of
    tabbed sites. I could easily set up Fx to launch that way. I personally
    prefer a plain vanilla launch and then use my bookmarks and personal
    bookmarks bar to add sites I am interested in at that instant.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  5. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    05.C.J.M.86@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    >> Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    >> as well as the home page.
    >>
    >> How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    >> what?
    >>
    >> Please, any help would be great.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..
    >

    > "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    > mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    > (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    > URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"

    This assumes Windows, if he is using a different OS, you will need to
    adjust the field name in the shortcut accordingly, but it should be
    somewhat similar.

    Make a copy of the normal shortcut.

    Right click on the copy and select 'Properties'.

    In the 'Target:' field, *after* the path to the FF executable, add the
    URLs he wants, separated by spaces.

    So, for example, on my system, it would be like this before the change:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

    And like this after the change:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" xdccing.com packetnew.net
    isohunt.com mininova.org

    You may want to change the icon for that shortcut, to differentiate
    between it and the normal shortcut.

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    On Aug 25, 7:40 am, "Alex K." wrote:
    > 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    > >> Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    > >> as well as the home page.

    > >> How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    > >> what?

    > >> Please, any help would be great.

    > >> Thanks.

    > > Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..

    > > "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    > > mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    > > (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    > > URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"

    > This assumes Windows, if he is using a different OS, you will need to
    > adjust the field name in the shortcut accordingly, but it should be
    > somewhat similar.
    >
    > Make a copy of the normal shortcut.
    >
    > Right click on the copy and select 'Properties'.
    >
    > In the 'Target:' field, *after* the path to the FF executable, add the
    > URLs he wants, separated by spaces.
    >
    > So, for example, on my system, it would be like this before the change:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    >
    > And like this after the change:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" xdccing.com packetnew.net
    > isohunt.com mininova.org
    >
    > You may want to change the icon for that shortcut, to differentiate
    > between it and the normal shortcut.
    >
    > --
    > Alex K.

    Thanks a ton both of you.

    Thanks Alex, he tried it and it did exactly like he wanted.

  7. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    Thunderbird Leader Alex K. teletyped, On 8/25/2007 7:40 AM:
    > 05.C.J.M.86@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 25, 1:54 am, 05.C.J.M...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, a friend of mine is wondering how to have it to where you open up
    >>> Firefox and pops up home page. He also wants it to pop up preset tabs
    >>> as well as the home page.
    >>>
    >>> How would he go about doing that? Do you need a particular add-on or
    >>> what?
    >>>
    >>> Please, any help would be great.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..
    >>

    >> "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    >> mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    >> (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    >> URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"
    >>

    > This assumes Windows, if he is using a different OS, you will need to
    > adjust the field name in the shortcut accordingly, but it should be
    > somewhat similar.
    >
    > Make a copy of the normal shortcut.
    >
    > Right click on the copy and select 'Properties'.
    >
    > In the 'Target:' field, *after* the path to the FF executable, add the
    > URLs he wants, separated by spaces.
    >
    > So, for example, on my system, it would be like this before the change:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    >
    > And like this after the change:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" xdccing.com packetnew.net
    > isohunt.com mininova.org
    >
    > You may want to change the icon for that shortcut, to differentiate
    > between it and the normal shortcut.

    Alex, Your a wealth of knowledge for some of the obscure abilities of
    Tb. Tb is in real need of a team of documentation people

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  8. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Alex K. teletyped, On 8/25/2007 7:40 AM:
    >> 05.C.J.M.86@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> Ok, he explained to me what he wants exactly..
    >>>

    >>> "k, i have a dock on the bottom of my pc, like a mac, i want two
    >>> mozilla shortcut icons there.. one to open up a one tabbed homepage
    >>> (like it normally does), and the other one to open up 4 preset tabbed
    >>> URL's.. to xdccing.com packetnew.net isohunt.com mininova.org"
    >>>

    >> This assumes Windows, if he is using a different OS, you will need to
    >> adjust the field name in the shortcut accordingly, but it should be
    >> somewhat similar.
    >>
    >> Make a copy of the normal shortcut.
    >>
    >> Right click on the copy and select 'Properties'.
    >>
    >> In the 'Target:' field, *after* the path to the FF executable, add the
    >> URLs he wants, separated by spaces.
    >>
    >> So, for example, on my system, it would be like this before the change:
    >> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    >>
    >> And like this after the change:
    >> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" xdccing.com packetnew.net
    >> isohunt.com mininova.org
    >>
    >> You may want to change the icon for that shortcut, to differentiate
    >> between it and the normal shortcut.
    >>

    > Alex, Your a wealth of knowledge for some of the obscure abilities of
    > Tb. Tb is in real need of a team of documentation people

    Well, thanks for the compliment, but I can't take credit for this one.

    I just happened to recall reading about that option, from this page:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments

    Although, after checking that page just now, I see that they say to put
    the list of URLs as:
    "xdccing.com|packetnew.net|isohunt.com|mininova.org", including the
    quote marks and using the '|' character to separate them. That works,
    as well. Dunno, the way I posted originally, without the quotes and the
    URLs separated by spaces, seems to work fine, at least on WinXP.

    BTW, I'm sure you meant FF. ;-)

    But since you mentioned it, there is a page for TB, as well:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_li...Thunderbird%29

    --
    Alex K.

  9. Re: Opening up home page and other tabs..

    Thunderbird Leader Alex K. teletyped, On 8/26/2007 5:14 AM:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> Thunderbird Leader Alex K. teletyped, On 8/25/2007 7:40 AM:

    >>> This assumes Windows, if he is using a different OS, you will need to
    >>> adjust the field name in the shortcut accordingly, but it should be
    >>> somewhat similar.
    >>>
    >>> Make a copy of the normal shortcut.
    >>>
    >>> Right click on the copy and select 'Properties'.
    >>>
    >>> In the 'Target:' field, *after* the path to the FF executable, add the
    >>> URLs he wants, separated by spaces.
    >>>
    >>> So, for example, on my system, it would be like this before the change:
    >>> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    >>>
    >>> And like this after the change:
    >>> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" xdccing.com packetnew.net
    >>> isohunt.com mininova.org
    >>>
    >>> You may want to change the icon for that shortcut, to differentiate
    >>> between it and the normal shortcut.
    >>>

    >> Alex, Your a wealth of knowledge for some of the obscure abilities of
    >> Tb. Tb is in real need of a team of documentation people
    >>

    > Well, thanks for the compliment, but I can't take credit for this one.
    >
    > I just happened to recall reading about that option, from this page:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments
    >
    > Although, after checking that page just now, I see that they say to put
    > the list of URLs as:
    > "xdccing.com|packetnew.net|isohunt.com|mininova.org", including the
    > quote marks and using the '|' character to separate them. That works,
    > as well. Dunno, the way I posted originally, without the quotes and the
    > URLs separated by spaces, seems to work fine, at least on WinXP.
    >
    > BTW, I'm sure you meant FF. ;-)
    >
    > But since you mentioned it, there is a page for TB, as well:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_li...Thunderbird%29

    Yes, keep forgetting which group I am in. But the compliment applies to
    both.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,