Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy - Mozilla ; At work we use a proxy to get onto the internet. Using Firefox behind this proxy, I cannot get to any web sites that end in .net. Safari for windows and IE can get to these sites, but Firefox complains ...

  1. Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    At work we use a proxy to get onto the internet. Using Firefox behind
    this proxy, I cannot get to any web sites that end in .net. Safari for
    windows and IE can get to these sites, but Firefox complains that it
    cannot find the server.

    How can I fix this problem? I do not want to use anything but Firefox
    to surf.

  2. Re: Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    lorenzo.statie@cox.net wrote:
    > At work we use a proxy to get onto the internet. Using Firefox behind
    > this proxy, I cannot get to any web sites that end in .net. Safari for
    > windows and IE can get to these sites, but Firefox complains that it
    > cannot find the server.
    >
    > How can I fix this problem? I do not want to use anything but Firefox
    > to surf.

    contact the person who set up the proxy and inform them of
    the problem. Tell them to let FF access .net sites.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    On Aug 24, 12:42 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > lorenzo.sta...@cox.net wrote:
    > > At work we use a proxy to get onto the internet. Using Firefox behind
    > > this proxy, I cannot get to any web sites that end in .net. Safari for
    > > windows and IE can get to these sites, but Firefox complains that it
    > > cannot find the server.

    > > How can I fix this problem? I do not want to use anything but Firefox
    > > to surf.

    > contact the person who set up the proxy and inform them of
    > the problem. Tell them to let FF access .net sites.
    >
    > --
    > Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    > only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    > or Reply to Author. Thanks!
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Can a proxy single out specific internet browsers for denial of
    access? IE & Safari for windows have no problem getting to .net sites.
    Only Firefox has the problem. In the beginning IE also had the problem
    and I was instructed to delete all temp files and clear the IE cache.
    That solved the problem for IE. Firefox still has the problem even
    after doing the same thing for it.

    Any ideas of what I could do to solve the problem?

  4. Re: Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:36:56 -0700, in message <1187995016.577150.23830@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    lorenzo.statie@cox.net wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 12:42 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    > > lorenzo.sta...@cox.net wrote:
    > > > At work we use a proxy to get onto the internet. Using Firefox behind
    > > > this proxy, I cannot get to any web sites that end in .net. Safari for
    > > > windows and IE can get to these sites, but Firefox complains that it
    > > > cannot find the server.

    > > > How can I fix this problem? I do not want to use anything but Firefox
    > > > to surf.

    > > contact the person who set up the proxy and inform them of
    > > the problem. Tell them to let FF access .net sites.
    > >

    > Can a proxy single out specific internet browsers for denial of
    > access?

    It can, but it may not be likely.

    > IE & Safari for windows have no problem getting to .net sites.
    > Only Firefox has the problem. In the beginning IE also had the problem
    > and I was instructed to delete all temp files and clear the IE cache.
    > That solved the problem for IE. Firefox still has the problem even
    > after doing the same thing for it.

    Are your Firefox 2.0.0.6 proxy settings, at
    "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings",
    identical to your corresponding IE settings?

    You may be using a different proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) file for Firefox.

    > Any ideas of what I could do to solve the problem?

    Check your Firefox and IE proxy settings, download the respective
    proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) files, and compare between FFx and IE.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  5. Re: Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    On Aug 24, 3:57 pm, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:36:56 -0700, in message <1187995016.577150.23...@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > lorenzo.sta...@cox.net wrote:
    > > On Aug 24, 12:42 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > > wrote:

    > > > contact the person who set up the proxy and inform them of
    > > > the problem. Tell them to let FF access .net sites.

    > > Can a proxy single out specific internet browsers for denial of
    > > access?

    > It can, but it may not be likely.
    >
    > > IE & Safari for windows have no problem getting to .net sites.
    > > Only Firefox has the problem. In the beginning IE also had the problem
    > > and I was instructed to delete all temp files and clear the IE cache.
    > > That solved the problem for IE. Firefox still has the problem even
    > > after doing the same thing for it.

    > Are your Firefox 2.0.0.6 proxy settings, at
    > "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings",
    > identical to your corresponding IE settings?
    >
    > You may be using a different proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) file for Firefox.
    >
    > > Any ideas of what I could do to solve the problem?

    > Check your Firefox and IE proxy settings, download the respective
    > proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) files, and compare between FFx and IE.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    The IE proxy is configured values in the "Proxy Address to use" &
    "Port" fields of the Proxy Setting dialog. No proxy.pac or wpad.dat is
    used. The same proxy server is being used for all protocols. Auto
    detection of proxy does not work here, so I am using manual settings
    copied from the IE proxy settings dialog.

    I copied the values from the IE Proxy Settings to the Firefox network
    setting page and used the exact same options, even for the exceptions.

  6. Re: Firefox cannot access .net sites from behind proxy

    On Aug 24, 3:57 pm, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:36:56 -0700, in message <1187995016.577150.23...@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > lorenzo.sta...@cox.net wrote:
    > > On Aug 24, 12:42 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > > wrote:

    > > > contact the person who set up the proxy and inform them of
    > > > the problem. Tell them to let FF access .net sites.

    > > Can a proxy single out specific internet browsers for denial of
    > > access?

    > It can, but it may not be likely.
    >
    > > IE & Safari for windows have no problem getting to .net sites.
    > > Only Firefox has the problem. In the beginning IE also had the problem
    > > and I was instructed to delete all temp files and clear the IE cache.
    > > That solved the problem for IE. Firefox still has the problem even
    > > after doing the same thing for it.

    > Are your Firefox 2.0.0.6 proxy settings, at
    > "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings",
    > identical to your corresponding IE settings?
    >
    > You may be using a different proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) file for Firefox.
    >
    > > Any ideas of what I could do to solve the problem?

    > Check your Firefox and IE proxy settings, download the respective
    > proxy.pac (or wpad.dat) files, and compare between FFx and IE.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    Thank you all for you replies. They pointed me in the right direction.
    What happened is that when I copied the stuff in the exceptions field,
    not every item was copied. I copied this time by using the right
    click, select all method. Now I can get to .net web sites.

+ Reply to Thread