I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault? - Mozilla ; I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia and latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins: ...

  1. I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault?

    I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I
    have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia and
    latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins:

    All-in-one-sidebar
    Colorful tabs
    DOM inspector
    Firebug (disabled)
    Google Browser Sync
    Google Toolbar for Firefox
    MyWiki Toolbar
    PDF Download
    Skype Extension for Firefox
    Tabbrowser Preferences
    Talkback

    Any suggestion? Who's fault?

    --
    Dario de Judicibus - Rome, Italy (EU)
    Site: http://www.dejudicibus.it

  2. Re: I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault?

    Dario de Judicibus wrote:
    > I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I
    > have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia and
    > latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins:
    >
    > All-in-one-sidebar
    > Colorful tabs
    > DOM inspector
    > Firebug (disabled)
    > Google Browser Sync
    > Google Toolbar for Firefox
    > MyWiki Toolbar
    > PDF Download
    > Skype Extension for Firefox
    > Tabbrowser Preferences
    > Talkback
    >
    > Any suggestion? Who's fault?

    I would dump Google add-ons and add Flashblock (to make sure Flash does
    not do anything).

  3. Re: I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault?

    "Dario de Judicibus" ...
    >I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I
    > have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia
    > and
    > latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins:
    >
    > All-in-one-sidebar
    > Colorful tabs
    > DOM inspector
    > Firebug (disabled)
    > Google Browser Sync
    > Google Toolbar for Firefox
    > MyWiki Toolbar
    > PDF Download
    > Skype Extension for Firefox
    > Tabbrowser Preferences
    > Talkback

    When you have Skype active you are sharing CPU time, transmission, and
    some disk space with other users. I don't see any point to using
    the Skype extension, since you can activate and exit Skype
    yourself.
    Recent disruption in Skype (Aug 16)
    http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2007...ion_clari.html

    The Google Toolbar for Firefox is going to generate CPU activity
    and disk activity depending on your options. Google Desktop
    indexing to provide quick search results later is probably also an
    option.

    Disk activity can generate CPU activity, particularly where indexing
    is concerned.

    Automatic checking for updates is generally going to generate disk activity
    The worst offender was Sun looking for an update and not recognizing
    the update after download or install. Suggest you turn off updates for
    Java.
    Microsoft updates
    Anything to do with Digital Rights Management, like degrading your
    own home movies, because doesn't have major corporate DRM code.
    Virus scans running scheduled scan of your entire disk or anything else
    attached as a drive, you don't want to be on computer at same time..
    Anti-virus scheduled updates (of very short duration once a day)
    Google Desktop indexing your hard drive, or anything else
    attached as a drive.
    Photo Editor programs indexing all pictures on your drives.

  4. Re: I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault?

    "Dario de Judicibus" ...
    >I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I
    > have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia
    > and
    > latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins:
    >
    > All-in-one-sidebar
    > Colorful tabs
    > DOM inspector
    > Firebug (disabled)
    > Google Browser Sync
    > Google Toolbar for Firefox
    > MyWiki Toolbar
    > PDF Download
    > Skype Extension for Firefox
    > Tabbrowser Preferences
    > Talkback

    When you have Skype active you are sharing CPU time, transmission, and
    some disk space with other users. I don't see any point to using
    the Skype extension, since you can activate and exit Skype
    yourself.
    Recent disruption in Skype (Aug 16)
    http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2007...ion_clari.html

    The Google Toolbar for Firefox is going to generate CPU activity
    and disk activity depending on your options. Google Desktop
    indexing to provide quick search results later is probably also an
    option.

    Disk activity can generate CPU activity, particularly where indexing
    is concerned.

    Automatic checking for updates is generally going to generate disk activity
    The worst offender was Sun looking for an update and not recognizing
    the update after download or install. Suggest you turn off updates for
    Java.
    Microsoft updates
    Anything to do with Digital Rights Management, like degrading your
    own home movies, because doesn't have major corporate DRM code.
    Virus scans running scheduled scan of your entire disk or anything else
    attached as a drive, you don't want to be on computer at same time..
    Anti-virus scheduled updates (of very short duration once a day)
    Google Desktop indexing your hard drive, or anything else
    attached as a drive.
    Photo Editor programs indexing all pictures on your drives.

    I normally would not have automatic updates for Firefox on, but they
    seem to have the best way of doing things now, check appears to be
    made while bringing up Firefox.

    Also keep in mind that many popular addons are disruptive and you
    should at least check them and for bad combinations of addons in
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    to see what problems to look out for.

  5. Re: I like Firefox, but it often use too much CPU: plug-ins' fault?

    Dario de Judicibus wrote:
    > I like Firefox, but often it uses a lot of CPU even if I do nothing or I
    > have a flat page loaded (no Flash, no JavaScript). I have the Wikipedia and
    > latest Google toolbars too, and the following plug-ins:
    >
    > All-in-one-sidebar
    > Colorful tabs
    > DOM inspector
    > Firebug (disabled)