Firefox behaves like a text-editor - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox behaves like a text-editor - Mozilla ; Hi everyone, That's right, Firefox is behaving like a text editor. There's always this cursor in every web-page I open. I'm a heavy user of the keyboard, so usually I just press the keys Home and End to get either ...

  1. Firefox behaves like a text-editor

    Hi everyone,
    That's right, Firefox is behaving like a text editor. There's always this
    cursor in every web-page I open.
    I'm a heavy user of the keyboard, so usually I just press the keys Home and
    End to get either to the top or bottom of a web-page. But now, there's a
    text-cursor and the key combination is Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End.
    I realise this is a small thing, and it's very useful at times too. But I
    still wanted to know how can I enable/disable it.
    I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP SP2. I have a couple of extras
    installed, like AdBlock Plus, Dom Inspector, DownThemAll, Firebug and a
    couple more. Starting Firefox in safe mode solves nothing (it's still a text
    editor) and I have restarted a few times too.
    What can I do?
    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: Firefox behaves like a text-editor

    Thunderbird Leader Paul teletyped, On 8/24/2007 11:44 AM:
    > Hi everyone,
    > That's right, Firefox is behaving like a text editor. There's always this
    > cursor in every web-page I open.
    > I'm a heavy user of the keyboard, so usually I just press the keys Home and
    > End to get either to the top or bottom of a web-page. But now, there's a
    > text-cursor and the key combination is Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End.
    > I realise this is a small thing, and it's very useful at times too. But I
    > still wanted to know how can I enable/disable it.
    > I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP SP2. I have a couple of extras
    > installed, like AdBlock Plus, Dom Inspector, DownThemAll, Firebug and a
    > couple more. Starting Firefox in safe mode solves nothing (it's still a text
    > editor) and I have restarted a few times too.
    > What can I do?
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    For people with special needs, Fx has a feature called Caret browsing.
    This may be an indication it is turn on in your installation. Use
    about:config and at he top of the list of preferences you will find
    accessibility.browsewithcaret, double click to toggle the pref to 'False'.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  3. Thank you

    What do you know, simple as that.
    Thanks again.

    "Ron K." escreveu na mensagem
    news:lZmdnapDw7TdiFLbnZ2dnUVZ_s6mnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Thunderbird Leader Paul teletyped, On 8/24/2007 11:44 AM:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> That's right, Firefox is behaving like a text editor. There's always this
    >> cursor in every web-page I open.
    >> I'm a heavy user of the keyboard, so usually I just press the keys Home
    >> and End to get either to the top or bottom of a web-page. But now,
    >> there's a text-cursor and the key combination is Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End.
    >> I realise this is a small thing, and it's very useful at times too. But I
    >> still wanted to know how can I enable/disable it.
    >> I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP SP2. I have a couple of extras
    >> installed, like AdBlock Plus, Dom Inspector, DownThemAll, Firebug and a
    >> couple more. Starting Firefox in safe mode solves nothing (it's still a
    >> text editor) and I have restarted a few times too.
    >> What can I do?
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul
    >>

    > For people with special needs, Fx has a feature called Caret browsing.
    > This may be an indication it is turn on in your installation. Use
    > about:config and at he top of the list of preferences you will find
    > accessibility.browsewithcaret, double click to toggle the pref to 'False'.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  4. Re: Thank you

    > "Ron K." escreveu na mensagem
    >> Paul teletyped, On 8/24/2007 11:44 AM:
    >>> Hi everyone,
    >>> That's right, Firefox is behaving like a text editor. There's always
    >>> this cursor in every web-page I open.
    >>>

    >> For people with special needs, Fx has a feature called Caret browsing.
    >> This may be an indication it is turn on in your installation. Use
    >> about:config and at he top of the list of preferences you will find
    >> accessibility.browsewithcaret, double click to toggle the pref to
    >> 'False'.

    "Paul" wrote
    > What do you know, simple as that. Thanks again.

    Good. Please don't change the subject of a thread.

    Misconception of caret usage by Firefox is/was the cause of the problem;
    however, that being the case things you will have to watch out for.
    SpaceBar, PageUp, PageDown, Home key not working properly.
    Find not working properly. Actually I thought FF fixed most of
    the caret browser problems by 2.0.0.6

    Hitting F7 accidentally or on purpose will toggle the switch.
    If you have MenuX, get rid of it, it steps all over Firefox and
    other extensions.

    More information, and a suggestion for an addition to your user.js file
    that you will have to create the file if you don't already have it, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#find
    It doesn't fix the problem, but it will make sure you start out okay
    when you bring up Firefox.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,